Forum Etiquette

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Forum Etiquette
Folks:

I am new to this forum and I hope to remain.

My initial posts were not meant to be condescending, but I know they came across as such, and I accept that criticism.

I want to be able to express my views in an honest way, a respectful way.

EVEN when I do that, I still expect critical responses if one disagrees with me.

That is fine.

Steve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like slw0606's post
08-07-2017, 11:39 AM
RE: Forum Etiquette
Well, one thing is you are making A LOT of threads. And for me to say that, that's saying' something Wink The dear and friend thing as others have mentioned is a no. Other than that, it's okay to have different views on things, imo, it makes things interesting. Just be respectful of others on here and the same will be extended to you.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
08-07-2017, 11:42 AM
(08-07-2017 11:33 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  I want to be able to express my views in an honest way, a respectful way.

Then do it.

Quote:EVEN when I do that, I still expect critical responses if one disagrees with me.

That is fine.

Thanks for permission.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 11:43 AM
I would say treat people as you wish to be treated. It's honestly that simple.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
08-07-2017, 12:02 PM
I would strongly advise that you take a step back. What I think is happening here is that you're legit in your desire for dialog, I think the missteps were just that -missteps- and not an effort to troll. I suspect that a different new forum member shit in the pool and the giant turd he left behind has people giving you the hairy eyeball rather than the benefit of the doubt. You haven't been around long enough to know our etiquette and you're posting a lot, so it's like you've gone and jumped into the deep end.

You haven't permanently sullied your credibility here. Once you get a feel for things, I'm sure you'll be fine.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
08-07-2017, 01:41 PM
I didn't realize posting a LOT here is an etiquette no-no. I jumped in the deep end here myself with enthusiasm and joy. Sincere apologies offered if that was over-doing.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
08-07-2017, 01:45 PM
(08-07-2017 01:41 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I didn't realize posting a LOT here is an etiquette no-no. I jumped in the deep end here myself with enthusiasm and joy. Sincere apologies offered if that was over-doing.

I think it's more about what you post. though there are rules against spamming.

In any case Aliza post wasn't directed at you.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 01:48 PM
(08-07-2017 01:41 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I didn't realize posting a LOT here is an etiquette no-no. I jumped in the deep end here myself with enthusiasm and joy. Sincere apologies offered if that was over-doing.

No, no, you're fine. If your rep is in the green, then you can safely conclude that you're not stepping on any toes.
08-07-2017, 01:54 PM

Oh no, it's not really. It depends on the topic you're posting about. Some seem to think any thought vomit they have deserves a thread.

Check out the different stickied threads we have and see if something you'd like to post would fit better in one of those.

We have a ranting corner for just generic ranting...we have 'why this was a good day' or 'what did you learn today....'

Also, a final word, you don't get to unsay shit here. We don't delete threads or posts generally (duplicates can be), so if you suddenly feel vulnerable about something you've posted it's really too bad. Don't destroy a thread by editing out your posts -- that will land you in a group that can't edit. Take your lumps with a good nature and you'll do fine.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-07-2017, 01:57 PM

No, yours are fine and not excessive. SLW posted thread after thread--not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you are already in the red, some may think you are a troll (whether you are or not).