Forum Growl

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Forum Growl
Two men are standing in a room, looking out its windows. One man is looking out the west window, the other the east.

"Will you look at that," the man looking out the west window says, "They're starting to pick the grapes early."

"No they aren't," says the man looking out the east window, without turning round or taking his gaze away, "There's no one in the fields, and that's no vineyard anyway; it's an orchard."

"Are you &^%#* blind!?" exclaims the man at the west window, his gaze steady but his eyes flashing, "There're at least 20 pickers out there now, you #$@*!# moron!"

"You're the *#$&%!@ idiot!" shouts the other, "Grape vines aren't trees you ^&$%^$ jackass!!!"

It should be clear by now that the room the men are standing in is an internet forum, or an internet comments board. The windows are their minds.

What I don't understand is ---

1. Why it isn't obvious to them that they're not looking out the same window,

2. Why they make no effort to look through another window,

3. Finally, and most perplexingly, why they think they have to attack the other observer. I REALLY don't get that.

But this scenario accounts for about 80% of discourse in every forum and comments board I've experienced, with TTA maybe a little better at 70%.

Why are we like that? And I'll be honest - I've done the same, and will probably do the same again, knowing full well its absurdity and futility in making any of the room's windows less opaque.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
02-03-2015, 12:18 PM
RE: Forum Growl
(02-03-2015 12:12 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  ...
Why are we like that?

Cos it's fun?

Big Grin

Nice analogy, btw.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-03-2015, 12:40 PM
(02-03-2015 12:12 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  1. Why it isn't obvious to them that they're not looking out the same window,

Many atheists have made the effort. The problem is that when we turn around to try to look out the window the other guy is describing all we see is a wall. No matter how much he says he's looking out, there's no opening and no glass.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
(02-03-2015 12:40 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 12:12 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  1. Why it isn't obvious to them that they're not looking out the same window,

Many atheists have made the effort. The problem is that when we turn around to try to look out the window the other guy is describing all we see is a wall. No matter how much he says he's looking out, there's no opening and no glass.

I turned around and looked and the other guy was rocking back and forth in the corner, rubbing his ears while muttering "I have to believe, I have to believe, I have to believe" while staring at that blank wall. I went over to him, and pointed out my window to the grapes of knowledge...and he screamed "lies! that is the devil trying to create doubt in my head"... Blink

hehe

OP, I know what you mean, there is a lot of static in the various boards throughout the web, punctuated with finger pointing and cries of "idiot".

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
(02-03-2015 12:12 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Two men are standing in a room, looking out its windows. One man is looking out the west window, the other the east.

"Will you look at that," the man looking out the west window says, "They're starting to pick the grapes early."

"No they aren't," says the man looking out the east window, without turning round or taking his gaze away, "There's no one in the fields, and that's no vineyard anyway; it's an orchard."

"Are you &^%#* blind!?" exclaims the man at the west window, his gaze steady but his eyes flashing, "There're at least 20 pickers out there now, you #$@*!# moron!"

"You're the *#$&%!@ idiot!" shouts the other, "Grape vines aren't trees you ^&$%^$ jackass!!!"

It should be clear by now that the room the men are standing in is an internet forum, or an internet comments board. The windows are their minds.

What I don't understand is ---

1. Why it isn't obvious to them that they're not looking out the same window,

3. Finally, and most perplexingly, why they think they have to attack the other observer. I REALLY don't get that.

But this scenario accounts for about 80% of discourse in every forum and comments board I've experienced, with TTA maybe a little better at 70%.

Why are we like that? And I'll be honest - I've done the same, and will probably do the same again, knowing full well its absurdity and futility in making any of the room's windows less opaque.

Some of us are looking out a picture window; the others are looking at a picture of a window. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
02-03-2015, 12:51 PM
This might help explain:

Researches find poop-throwing by chimps is a sign of intelligence

[Image: giphy.gif]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-03-2015, 12:54 PM
(02-03-2015 12:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Some of us are looking out a picture window; the others are looking at a picture of a window. Drinking Beverage

Perhaps some are using Windows while others are picking Apples in the orchard.

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
02-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Because we can't look out the same window.

We can understand each others position, we can understand their points, but we can't see the world in the same way that they do. We might understand how they see the world in theory, but we just don't see things that way.

When I look out the window I see I universe with laws that govern it, laws I can understand. When they look out they see a universe that is uncertain, and the only certainty comes from the revealed word of God.
02-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Reality is like a rainbow. No matter how close you stand to someone, they'll never truly see your rainbow, and you'll never truly see theirs.

...and the cheese flowed like wine.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-03-2015, 02:30 PM
There is no spoon.