Forum Management Ponderings....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2014, 11:56 AM
RE: Forum Management Ponderings....
There are a variety of ways the mechanics of editorial control of rooms could be implemented. I'll discuss only the way I coded it, without claiming that to be the "one true way", which I doubt exists.

Each room could be set to any of the following choices. This would effect all threads in that room.

1) OPEN - operates like a normal forum, users can post at will. Posts can be deleted only after the fact.

2) MODERATED - all posts sent to Special Guest for review prior to publication. Click one link to approve, click another to delete.

3) CLOSED - only the Special Guest can post, like a blog.

Special Guests could be given a choice of these options for their room. Or, the forum owner might choose to set all rooms to one option.

As example, if I was the forum owner, I might set all rooms to moderated. This would mean every post in every Special Guest room would have to be reviewed by a human being prior to publication.

Thus, if the Special Guest can't monitor their room for a period of time, or wanders off, that room doesn't then flood with spam and other chaos.

Other forum owners would of course make other choices, and I might as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2014, 12:14 PM
So what you are suggesting is segregating the forum.
You do know if we do that you will end up in your own corner where you have no interaction with anyone and effectively talk to yourself.

Moderating posts before allowing then onto the boards goes against the very foundation of this forum. On the plus side it would mean we would never see your posts Drinking Beverage

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 7 users Like FSM_scot's post
29-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Bozo's a commie.
29-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Fucken Bozo off fantasizing again. And if one skim reads his tripe one sees that he's all for more moderation and enforcing polite behaviour... There are multiple forums out on the web, you claim to be a fucken forum software developer, why don't you put your little wanky plans into action and see what happens?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-12-2014, 12:58 PM
This is infinitely more interesting:

[Image: original.jpg]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 10 users Like kingschosen's post
29-12-2014, 01:26 PM
How is that so different from what many other forum software brands offer - namely groups and blogs? In both cases the originator manages the content and postings.

The only difference is that in your version one has to earn it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-12-2014, 01:46 PM
(29-12-2014 01:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  How is that so different from what many other forum software brands offer

You could probably do the plan above in many different forum softwares. I don't know them all well enough to say for sure. Some would probably be more convenient than others.

The technology really isn't the important issue. The main issue is, does the owner of a forum wish to strive for quality, or are they content to host a forum that's pretty much the same as every other forum in their niche?

If the later, then nothing I write here is likely to be of much interest, as nobody needs my advice to be just like everybody else.
29-12-2014, 02:01 PM
(29-12-2014 01:46 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 01:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  How is that so different from what many other forum software brands offer

You could probably do the plan above in many different forum softwares. I don't know them all well enough to say for sure. Some would probably be more convenient than others.

The technology really isn't the important issue. The main issue is, does the owner of a forum wish to strive for quality, or are they content to host a forum that's pretty much the same as every other forum in their niche?

If the later, then nothing I write here is likely to be of much interest, as nobody needs my advice to be just like everybody else.

*latter

The tone of this and many another forum is set by the people who frequent it as much as, or more than, the organizational aspects.

Rigid rules leads to rigid posting from rigid people.

As has been said here by several, if you don't like this forum then you can go elsewhere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
29-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Hey, has anybody seen this?

[Image: tta_header.jpg]

I thought the part in blue was kinda interesting.
29-12-2014, 02:06 PM
(29-12-2014 01:46 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  The main issue is, does the owner of a forum wish to strive for quality, or are they content to host a forum that's pretty much the same as every other forum in their niche?

You appear to be defining the quality of a forum in terms of how well you can control the discussions. I define quality in terms of the general interactions of the participants and the fairness of the moderation. Both factors make this a quality forum from my perspective. The features are much less important than the community.

You barging in and bitching and moaning about everything you don't like only makes you appear to be a petty, arrogant, pathetic troll. You started off annoying but now you're just amusing in a sad sort of way.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post