Forum Risk Game

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-07-2012, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 11:37 PM by earmuffs.)
RE: Forum Risk Game
Just to clarify.
Tactical comes before attacking, so everyone gets their tactical phase and THEN people can attack.
Are people under the assumption that it's goes player 1 gets his tactical and attacking, then player2 gets his tactical and attacking etc..?
not player1 gets his tactical, player2 gets his tactical, player1 gets his attacking, player2 gets his attacking?

gotta love working out the dents...

and thinking about it I think that's my fault, I don't think I made that clear at all...
Hmm what to do what to do.. I guess we could change the rules to what you guys think it works but then those that are first have a major advantage..Consider

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2012, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 11:46 PM by DeepThought.)
Thats cool, I'll stick with my proposed course of action... No risk no reward right?

And all my my territories will be producing gold!

I actually do think it's probably more fair to split the tactical and attacking phases even though in this fight it wouldn't benefit me. So do we lock both courses of action at the beginning? or can we decide our attack move later based on what the other person does tactically?

Doing the split method will be more work for you but might turn out fairer for people since turn order is locked in throughout the entire game.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
24-07-2012, 11:51 PM
(24-07-2012 11:39 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Thats cool, I'll stick with my proposed course of action... No risk no reward right?

And all my my territories will be producing gold!

I actually do think it's probably more fair to split the tactical and attacking phases even though in this fight it wouldn't benefit me. So do we lock both courses of action at the beginning? or can we decide our attack move later based on what the other person does tactically?

Doing the split method will be more work for you but might turn out fairer for people since turn order is locked in throughout the entire game.

It's a lot of work either way, just means people will have to wait for the tactical phase bit to be updated (or just look at peoples posts to see what they did) before they attack.

You can attack any time, like do your tactical and attack phase in the same post, or you can do your tactical, wait and then do your attack. Just the second way is better because you learn what others are doing so you can make calculated attacks.
In the case of like chas or bemore or Erx it's not an issue yet.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-07-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm going to update my code with a country hash-table to make it map aware. It will be able to keep track of player resources and army locations. Who owns what land. What mode the land is in (gold or science production) and will know how much gold or science a particular piece of land can produce.

Then I just need to add a few more touches to have it be aware of which forum user is viewing it. Once I have that I can make it turn aware and keep track of player technology.

Then it needs the combat engine installed. Then I have a forum game that can almost run by itself. Still quite a few pieces missing out of that puzzle but ya gotta start somewhere!

25-07-2012, 01:21 AM
(25-07-2012 12:01 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm going to update my code with a country hash-table to make it map aware. It will be able to keep track of player resources and army locations. Who owns what land. What mode the land is in (gold or science production) and will know how much gold or science a particular piece of land can produce.

Then I just need to add a few more touches to have it be aware of which forum user is viewing it. Once I have that I can make it turn aware and keep track of player technology.

Then it needs the combat engine installed. Then I have a forum game that can almost run by itself. Still quite a few pieces missing out of that puzzle but ya gotta start somewhere!

Make sure you do not tip the odds in your favor.. Smile

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
25-07-2012, 02:07 AM
(25-07-2012 01:21 AM)itsacow Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 12:01 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm going to update my code with a country hash-table to make it map aware. It will be able to keep track of player resources and army locations. Who owns what land. What mode the land is in (gold or science production) and will know how much gold or science a particular piece of land can produce.

Make sure you do not tip the odds in your favor.. Smile
lol - if I write the combat engine I'll have it log all the dice rolls so they can be averaged using statistics. It will show everything in a similar format to the combat scenario in post 1.

25-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Produce gold.
Move 7 troops from western america into Mexico.
Move the remaining troop from W America into eastern America.
Buy one militia and deploy it to capital.

Message to DeepThought

It would be very unwise for you to attack me. Even if you were to win the battle, you would lose a lot of troops. This early in the game, you do not have enough territories to replenish that gold. The cost to simply take over my territory would not be worth it. Heck, I may even win the battle.
25-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Anyone ever thought of introducing natural disasters in a game like this? Like, hurricane Filox sweeps across Australia and 50% of the troops are killed... It is all random, of course, the dice decides...

How is it going without me in this game? Enjoying?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
25-07-2012, 03:50 AM
(25-07-2012 02:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Produce gold.
Looks like you still don't understand troop movement in this game. Compare my example to yours. Still what your doing roughly equates to what I'm doing in a different way so I guess we can let it slide...

(25-07-2012 02:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Message to DeepThought

It would be very unwise for you to attack me. Even if you were to win the battle, you would lose a lot of troops. This early in the game, you do not have enough territories to replenish that gold. The cost to simply take over my territory would not be worth it. Heck, I may even win the battle.

What would be unwise is to sit still and not capitalise on my early game advantage. My territories pull in more gold/turn than yours and also I have more troops available than you.

I don't want you sitting next to my capital either.. Especially when you have more blocks of land available above you than I have down below.I'm not letting you out-expand me. I know how that will end.

This is a worthwhile risk for me. Tongue

25-07-2012, 03:55 AM
(25-07-2012 02:43 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Produce gold.

Message to DeepThought

No you can't do that.
Moving 7 troops from W. America to Mexico uses 50 the movement points of ALL the troops in W. America. , and capturing E. America costs 100 movement points.

What you can do however is buy and deploy 1 troop to mexico.
The in attack phase capture E. America with the 1 troop from mexico, THEN move 8 troops from W. America to Mexico.