Forum Visualisations

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
18-02-2012, 09:09 AM
RE: Forum Visualisations
Hi all,

First video here:

The (excellent) thread that I used in this video can be found here

There is also a pdf of the visualization shown in the video attached below.

Questions/Comments/feedback very welcome Smile

Attached File(s)
.pdf  bemore.pdf (Size: 25.42 KB / Downloads: 56)

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Shannow's post
18-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Nice vid Shannow.

What software are you using for these visualizations - did you write it yourself or is it standard forum visualization software?

Also with bemore's thread, did you manually do that picture or somehow generate it automatically?

With the general forum visualizations, what do the lines mean - are they threads?

Some schweet stuff you've got going there Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-02-2012, 09:38 AM
I think the fact that you chose to do this with an accented narration makes it all the more interesting. And sounds WAY more smart! Big Grin

I also dig how you say, "Lady Jane." Heart

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
18-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Very nice work. I wish I knew how to work my computer like you do. You are so creative. I love art in any form.
18-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Wow, really cool! Smile
18-02-2012, 10:18 AM
(18-02-2012 09:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think the fact that you chose to do this with an accented narration makes it all the more interesting. And sounds WAY more smart! Big Grin

I also dig how you say, "Lady Jane." Heart

Accent? What accent? Sounded perfectly normal to me, mate!

Keep up the good work Shannow... fascinating stuff.
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow thats some pretty fascinating stuff you have going on here Shannow.....it takes it to another level to visualise it and from your first video I didnt know how you was going to achieve it.....but I do now Big Grin

Subbed to your youtube channel Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
18-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I think graphs like this are all the more interesting because there is no real moderation on this forum and the treads can wander all they want.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
18-02-2012, 01:48 PM
(18-02-2012 01:10 PM)Observer Wrote:  I think graphs like this are all the more interesting because there is no real moderation on this forum and the treads can wander all they want.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think Shannow has illustrated the beauty of conversation here quite well. Almost as though the conversation is a flower, or some type of plant. With unrestricted growth, it's allowed to bloom in all kinds of seemingly random directions, but the end result is the conversation "blooming" into a broad spectrum.

Love it Shannow. You've definitely shown what a valuable contributor you are to the forum. Your closing in the videos says that you are a proud member of the forum. Well I for one, am proud to have you!!

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-02-2012, 01:50 PM
(18-02-2012 09:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  What software are you using for these visualizations - did you write it yourself or is it standard forum visualization software?

Also with bemore's thread, did you manually do that picture or somehow generate it automatically?

With the general forum visualizations, what do the lines mean - are they threads?

@ Morondog I use gephi for the visualizations. It's more designed for 'big data' analysis of Facebook networks and twitter feeds, but handles the forum data pretty well.

Bemore's thread was generated manually, but I can do them automatically thanks to the mods giving me piles of raw data, which is handy for the longer posts.

With the general forum threads, the lines mean different things in different pictures, basically the lines (geeks call them edges) are the 'glue' that join the blobs (geeks call them nodes) together. I'll explain this a bit more in the next vid.

(18-02-2012 09:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  you chose to do this with an accented narration Big Grin

Lol...if I could choose my accent I'd choose to sound like Patrick Stewart!

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ