19-02-2012, 04:22 PM
RE: Forum Visualisations
At 1:04 there's Gwynnies. Big Grin

Ya do good work, Shannow, and sound good doing it. Thanks. Wink

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-02-2012, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 07:19 PM by Shannow.)
Thanks for the postive feedback so far.

Latest videos for your viewing pleasure,

First one shows the logic behind getting the data and also some concepts that will hopefully explain the visualisations a little better.

Second one shows 2 of the visualisations of the entire forum:

PDF's are attached as well.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  who talks to who.pdf (Size: 997.5 KB / Downloads: 161)
.pdf  The forum.pdf (Size: 86.13 KB / Downloads: 51)

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Shannow's post
21-02-2012, 07:33 PM
As usual, a very cool illustration of the forum. Keep em coming.

I may have missed the explination, but why are different members represented by different colors?

Also, just an FYI, soldieringon is no longer a member. In fact he left quite a while ago. (Just thought I'd mention it since you refered to him as a well respected member, in case the newer members were curious about him.)

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
21-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Agreed, very cool.
Also very surreal. I have a hard time with disassociation.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
21-02-2012, 07:53 PM
(21-02-2012 07:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  As usual, a very cool illustration of the forum. Keep em coming.
Thanks Smile

(21-02-2012 07:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I may have missed the explination, but why are different members represented by different colors?

In the 'who talks to who' thread, the different colours signify modularity...or who they've talked to the most...so if you're green, you'll likely talk to green people more. Your personal colour Stark, flags you as one of the members who's interacted more with the older, veteran members of the forum than the new breed of whipper-snappers Wink But your location in the visualizaton (right in the middle) indicates that you're well connected with both the new joiners and the old farts!

(21-02-2012 07:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  soldieringon is no longer a member.

Sure - I said he was well respected becuase he had rep when I looked him up. It took me hours trying to work out why he should be so popular! It's his "Introductions" thread skewing everything.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
21-02-2012, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 08:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-02-2012 07:48 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Agreed, very cool. Also very surreal.

Yup, very cool.

(21-02-2012 07:48 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I have a hard time with disassociation.

You don't drink enough.

(21-02-2012 07:16 PM)Shannow Wrote:  Thanks for the postive feedback so far.

Latest videos for your viewing pleasure,

First one shows the logic behind getting the data and also some concepts that will hopefully explain the visualisations a little better.

I like it, a lot! Your narration, if not necessarily Attenboroughesque, was pleasant enough. You could make more of these where you explain the basic concepts of graph theory like size, order, radius, diameter, centrality, betweeness, etc. in a familiar context.

But not sure what that modularity was all about? Do you mean clustering coefficient? Do you mean cliques?

(21-02-2012 07:53 PM)Shannow Wrote:  
(21-02-2012 07:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  soldieringon is no longer a member.

Sure - I said he was well respected becuase he had rep when I looked him up. It took me hours trying to work out why he should be so popular! It's his "Introductions" thread skewing everything.

Way to go soldieringon, looks like your seed took.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-02-2012, 09:06 PM
This is really interesting. I'm playing with a couple scripts in my spare time to see if I can get more data to play with.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
22-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Outstanding, dude!
22-02-2012, 08:02 AM
(21-02-2012 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You could make more of these where you explain the basic concepts of graph theory like size, order, radius, diameter, centrality, betweeness, etc. in a familiar context.

Thanks for the positive comments...it means a lot becuase I'm no educator and was really nervous that I'd come across as patronizing or overlly-simplistic, but if you want more of these kind of 'tutorial' videos, I'm happy to do them.

(21-02-2012 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But not sure what that modularity was all about? Do you mean clustering coefficient? Do you mean cliques?

This is a brilliant question! Modularity is effecitvely Cliques+, it works on both directed and undirected networks and also works on imperfect networks too...which can't be said for all clique alogrithms. Read a detailed breakdown here and less detailed here.

Clustering Coefficiant should be a perfectly valid approach to use. But for some reason it doesn't yield results as effectively as modularity within the forum visualisations. I think this is becuase of the limitations of the Neighbourhood (Ni) function. You can see what happens when I colour the 'who talks to who' visualisation using CC below.

[Image: xaulnt.jpg]

See? - it's all very similar colours and CC seems to strugle to identify our 'communties' in the same way that modularity does.

Thanks again for the insightful quesitons.

[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post
22-02-2012, 09:04 AM
wow this is super interesting. I watched those two videos during lunchbreak. I want to see if I can find myself on the pdf when I am home Big Grin I saw my hun in your video heh.
well done!

edit: checked now... just can't really get it bigger and clearer. It will be a mystery Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]