Forum Visualisations

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2012, 09:31 AM
RE: Forum Visualisations
(22-02-2012 08:02 AM)Shannow Wrote:  [Image: xaulnt.jpg]

See? - it's all very similar colours and CC seems to strugle to identify our 'communties' in the same way that modularity does.

Although it might be more realistic...if you tell us the red represents spilled blood. Confused

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-02-2012, 09:52 AM
(22-02-2012 09:04 AM)Leela Wrote:  edit: checked now... just can't really get it bigger and clearer. It will be a mystery Big Grin

Hi Leela - have a look below, you're left of the centre in the 'who talks to who' visualisation and suspiciously close to a certain hellbound preacher Wink

[Image: 33uzswz.jpg]

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
22-02-2012, 09:55 AM
(22-02-2012 09:52 AM)Shannow Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 09:04 AM)Leela Wrote:  edit: checked now... just can't really get it bigger and clearer. It will be a mystery Big Grin

Hi Leela - have a look below, you're left of the centre in the 'who talks to who' visualisation and suspiciously close to a certain hellbound preacher Wink

[Image: 33uzswz.jpg]

I didn't realize my effort to amass an army of minions was going to be found out so quickly.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-02-2012, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2012 08:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-02-2012 08:02 AM)Shannow Wrote:  Modularity is effecitvely Cliques+, it works on both directed and undirected networks and also works on imperfect networks too...which can't be said for all clique alogrithms. Read a detailed breakdown here and less detailed here.

Very, very nice. Girly's got a new algorithm, woohoo! This will be useful at my job. Thanks, Shannow!

(22-02-2012 08:02 AM)Shannow Wrote:  
(21-02-2012 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You could make more of these where you explain the basic concepts of graph theory like size, order, radius, diameter, centrality, betweeness, etc. in a familiar context.

Thanks for the positive comments...it means a lot becuase I'm no educator and was really nervous that I'd come across as patronizing or overlly-simplistic, but if you want more of these kind of 'tutorial' videos, I'm happy to do them.

Since there's like a shitload of steps to get from vertex degree to modularity, think I might feel like kinda sorta obligated. Not sure I'd've opened that door, but that's just me. Wink

(22-02-2012 08:02 AM)Shannow Wrote:  Clustering Coefficiant should be a perfectly valid approach to use. But for some reason it doesn't yield results as effectively as modularity within the forum visualisations. ... See? - it's all very similar colours and CC seems to strugle to identify our 'communties' in the same way that modularity does.

Yup, feels like CC should have a similar effect but it don't.

(22-02-2012 08:02 AM)Shannow Wrote:  I think this is becuase of the limitations of the Neighbourhood (Ni) function.

That intuition don't feel right to me, but can't say why yet. You could get a very cool conference paper or maybe even a journal article out of analyzing this forum Shannow. ... Dunno if you give a shit about that kind of shit or not, I mean I doubt I would if my compensation wasn't tied to it. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Sweet! This is cool stuff. Looking at the PDF closely, it made me miss and wonder what happened to Ashley Hunt, I liked her posts when I first joined.

Another couple things I realized about myself: I am bad at skimming. I'll skim if a post is too much of a wall, esp on the mobile, or if I feel it isn't pertaining to a point or interest on the subject that I want to discuss. That's not really fair, I should pay attention a little more. Sometimes that's hard because of time constraint though. Here is to trying! Smile

Shannow, I am jealous of the skills and talent you posses!

It'd be cool to see the forum again in a year to see where the names and colours have relocated.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
23-02-2012, 01:02 PM
(22-02-2012 08:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Very, very nice. Girly's got a new algorithm, woohoo! This will be useful at my job. Thanks, Shannow!

No probs Smile

(21-02-2012 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That intuition don't feel right to me, but can't say why yet.

Perhaps - to be honest I was so pleased about the results I got from modularity, I didn't expend a huge amount of work into why CC didn't work. I've had issues in the past with Ni on other projects, could be the wrong conclusion.

(21-02-2012 07:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You could get a very cool conference paper or maybe even a journal article out of analyzing this forum Shannow. ... Dunno if you give a shit about that kind of shit or not, I mean I doubt I would if my compensation wasn't tied to it. Wink
I'm doing it because the community seems to like it and I'm learning a lot in the process which is a win/win. For some reason, nobody seems to be applying graph theory to Forums, just to other kinds of social networks, kinda weird.

(22-02-2012 09:06 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Shannow, I am jealous of the skills and talent you posses!

Thanks Smile I'm jealous of the debating skills that some members have on this forum, I lack the breadth of knowledge to add value to a lot of them, but at least I can make them into pretty pictures!

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
26-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Next video....Our World...

Very difficult to align a map to the visualization perfectly, so your location might not be 100% accurate. Apologies.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Ourworld.pdf (Size: 74.28 KB / Downloads: 35)
.pdf  World view.pdf (Size: 75.78 KB / Downloads: 41)

[+] 6 users Like Shannow's post
26-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Eeeh...
Lucradis is Canadian...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Oops! Correction inserted.

26-02-2012, 12:40 PM
(26-02-2012 12:17 PM)Shannow Wrote:  Oops! Correction inserted.
Now I hope I didn’t make a mistake myself...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  my current forum plans BnW 16 243 19-07-2014 02:29 PM
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Pew Forum ... new religion stats ... Bucky Ball 7 118 18-07-2014 10:15 AM
Last Post: Minimalist
  Forum voices. Metazoa Zeke 117 1,390 08-06-2014 02:55 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Would you want a podcast where TTA forum members are the guests? Lightvader 28 391 05-06-2014 07:27 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Who else goes on TTA Forum while at work? djkamilo 45 494 02-06-2014 03:14 PM
Last Post: Caveman
Bug Forum addition (Concerning "Self" ban) Alex_Leonardo 23 227 22-05-2014 10:44 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  A few things I like about this forum living thing 77 1,072 19-05-2014 07:59 AM
Last Post: Full Circle