* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Forum dislikes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: Forum dislikes!
You know what bugs me?

When people beat me to the punch line.

Also, when they can't be bothered to read what the others have said before them. That's just plain rude Angry

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
06-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Forum dislikes!
Well, not reading all previous posts before posting (someone please invent a name for this!) can be considered lazy...most of the time. But, consider the Ask a Theist thread. Would you seriously disparage someone for not reading that entire thread before posting?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
06-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Derailments are cool with me. They're usually funny to witness. Laughat

The thing that irritates me is ridicule of serious discussion. Especially when an irrelevant part of that discussion is what's being ridiculed.

A prime example of this was in the thread (I'm paraphrasing) "The Rev is sending his kids to Christian school". I didn't read past the first page or two - I lost interest - but I saw many people ignoring the actual point of the discussion and focusing on the fact that the OP calls her brother "Rev". "Why call him that? Why not just call him your brother? Blah blah blah?" Because stay the fuck on track, that's why. Angry

Something similar happened when one of the users buried a dead mouse and put a little cross on its grave. People ignored everything else he said and got all over him for putting a religious icon on a mouse grave. Blink

Again, derails are fun and tend to only be relevant to two or more of those posting in the thread. This means the serious discussion can continue around them. But when the majority of people focus on a stupid and irrelevant part of a topic, it irritates me. Instead of getting the wanted advice or a valid viewpoint, the OP ends up having to defend some small detail of their post. That shouldn't need to happen.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
06-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Polls when none of the options apply... makes me Censored

I would say when threads are created and go on based on generalizations of people here belonging to one set group.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
06-02-2013, 07:06 PM
(06-02-2013 06:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  You know what bugs me?

When people beat me to the punch line.

Also, when they can't be bothered to read what the others have said before them. That's just plain rude Angry

Yes, very funny.

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-02-2013, 07:10 PM
(06-02-2013 06:55 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Well, not reading all previous posts before posting (someone please invent a name for this!) can be considered lazy...most of the time. But, consider the Ask a Theist thread. Would you seriously disparage someone for not reading that entire thread before posting?

Ok, ok... enough with the irony already!

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I can honestly say none of the above. Derailment used to bug me, but Girlyman said something to me that changed my perspective. Something along the lines of 'If it is a topic worth discussing it will get back on topic.' And he was right. If the forum isn't interested in staying on topic then your conversation will suck anyway. May as well have fun with it if your not going to get what you want.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
06-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Also, too much irony Censored

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
06-02-2013, 07:24 PM
(06-02-2013 06:55 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Well, not reading all previous posts before posting (someone please invent a name for this!) can be considered lazy...most of the time. But, consider the Ask a Theist thread. Would you seriously disparage someone for not reading that entire thread before posting?
I tend to go by the title of the thread (or the contents of the OP), then post my response without having read anyone else's. That way I get my viewpoint out there without being influenced by anyone else's response. After I've posted, then I go back and read through what everyone else has said before me.

Plus, I think that when a person is looking for answers to something - such as advice regarding a relationship or some other life endeavor - it's good for them to see multiple people saying the same thing(s). It gives them an idea of what the general verdict is; worded in slightly different ways each time. This can help them get a better understanding of what everyone is recommending.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
06-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Also not on the list of options... grammar/spelling/punctuation.

I know that's a pretty common and seemingly petty pet peeve but for me it has nothing to do with pet peeves. It has to do with credibility. For instance, if I'm debating someone on an important topic and he/she supposes to have information that I don't have or a perspective that I've not considered, it's terribly hard for me to take that person seriously if they don't bother with accuracy when attempting to change my mind or inform me. After all, if you're not interested in accurately typing your message or, if you're incapable of properly spelling the words you use to argue with me, why should I assume that you're somehow super accurate in retelling something you've read or heard? And how do I know you even understood what you read or heard if you can't articulate the information?

Of course, we all make typos and a lot of folks on the web don't speak my language as their native and I understand that. I really enjoy being informed that English is a person's second language, because it allows me to account for those errors. But in the end, you can tell if someone made the occasional error or not and right or wrong, if someone argues with poor use of the language, it's going to affect their credibility.

/rant
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post