Forum members in Publishing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Forum members in Publishing?
Hello all,

I am wondering if any of our esteemed members work in the publishing industry? I have recently completed editing my manuscript, a polemical and satirical social commentary that cites the academic opinions of several leading historians and biblical scholars to challenge (utterly destroy?) the claims made by the American Christian Right in their attempts to push creationism in the classroom (among other fairy tales and fundamentalist agendas).

Should any industry members be interested in seeing my proposal or a sample of my writing, please contact me directly and let's help spread the Good News...that the faithful can think for themselves.

Regards,

Diogenes of Mayberry
Atheist Missionary

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
RE: Forum members in Publishing?
Forgive me if these are avenues you're already pursuing, but have you considered taking a look at Writer's Digest/Writer's Market? There are also websites like Duotrope's Digest with information about markets (although I don't know much about their non-fiction section) and writers' forums.

Best of luck.
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Interesting introduction. Nice to meet you too. Wink

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
12-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have taken a look at Writer's Digest, but as far as I could tell--and I could be wrong--there was nothing there that specifically identified agents or publishers that have a particular interest religious polemics. I have sent about 50 proposals so far to agents/publishers listed as interested in history, but it is a complete shot in the dark that they may be active members of our community and take an interest.

I started with agents for the 4 Horsemen, and for publishers of other books of the same genre, but so far I have not had any luck, though half my submission queries are still outstanding. Most agents won't even look at new authors, as they just want a fat commission off known names.

However, just maybe on this forum is a member, say like a RagingAtheist666 (apologies to any member who might actually have this username) who by day is mild-mannered Marvin Poindexter, publisher-at-large. And just maybe Marvin is looking for someone who shares our collective interests and I can get a serious look, rather than just being another unknown in a stack of a 1000 proposals.

Or perhaps Stark Raving is Marvin Poindexter? Nice to meet you too.

12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I ain't the poindexter you're looking for, but you sure piqued my curiosity. I wanna read the manuscript!

If I lie and say I'm a publisher, will you let me? Lol

12-06-2012, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 10:30 PM by Diogenes of Mayberry.)
I have taken the liberty of attaching a small sample from my book, a section that deals with the origins of the virgin birth mythology (hysteria?). A little background context: my book is set in a Christian high school and the historical material is presented in different classes. This bit comes from New Testament Bible Studies.

Please be gentle my brothers and sisters in atheism . . .

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Manifest Insanity Sample.pdf (Size: 173.09 KB / Downloads: 46)

12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Why thank you. Wink

13-06-2012, 01:40 AM
(12-06-2012 10:03 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  I have taken the liberty of attaching a small sample from my book, a section that deals with the origins of the virgin birth mythology (hysteria?). A little background context: my book is set in a Christian high school and the historical material is presented in different classes. This bit comes from New Testament Bible Studies.

Please be gentle my brothers and sisters in atheism . . .
Well, I liked it Thumbsup Nice writing style - informative, humorous... Yes

Good luck with that (can't help you with a publisher tho Sad ).

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
13-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks Aurora. Informative and humorous is what I was aiming for.

13-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Writer's Market, the 2012 edition, may have the kind of information you're looking for. It's not free, but your local library may have a copy.

I'm just curious, are we talking fiction or non-fiction here? You mentioned citations, so I assumed non-fiction, but your excerpt looks like it may be fiction.