Poll: Community or Forum?
Community
Forum
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Forum or Community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Forum or Community
(24-10-2012 10:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 10:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In that case, I'd like to vote for both pie AND cake!

Cake or Death!?

Oh...well, the other day I might have said death, but I could really go for some cake right now. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2012, 10:28 PM
RE: Forum or Community
(24-10-2012 10:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 10:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck ...

I know this is tough call for you Muffsy, 'cos you are such a indecisive person.

If you are really, really undecided, it is possible to vote for both.

Big Grin

Fine you don't wanna talk about the real issue here we shall talk about community v forum.

Firstly, your definition of forum is rejected. If that is the definition of a forum then TTA is not a forum.
Quote:A social group whose members often have a common interest.

This is TTA.
We get a long with people, we're friendly to each other, we joke around, we have inside jokes (we actually have a lot of inside jokes), we play off of each others personalities. We do that friendly shoulder punch thing (ie: I fucked Erx's mom last night).
Yes we talk about topics that interest us, ie: I post a lot in the politics section. But so do social groups. Lawn Bowls for example, old people gathering around one central topic with the primary goal of having a cup of tea, a biscuit and catch up on the gossip WHILE playing a bit of lawn bowls.

TTA isn't a high school debate, it's a old people's wednesday lawn bowls club.

So if someone new comes along and wants to play some lawn bowls, that's absolutely fine. Encouraged even. But they have to accept that we have a tea and biscuit around lunch time and if you don't fit in with the gossip tea and biscuit time, then don't join in and just stick to the lawn bowls time.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
24-10-2012, 10:54 PM
(24-10-2012 10:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 10:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I know this is tough call for you Muffsy, 'cos you are such a indecisive person.

If you are really, really undecided, it is possible to vote for both.

Big Grin

Fine you don't wanna talk about the real issue here we shall talk about community v forum.

Firstly, your definition of forum is rejected. If that is the definition of a forum then TTA is not a forum.
Quote:A social group whose members often have a common interest.

This is TTA.
We get a long with people, we're friendly to each other, we joke around, we have inside jokes (we actually have a lot of inside jokes), we play off of each others personalities. We do that friendly shoulder punch thing (ie: I fucked Erx's mom last night).
Yes we talk about topics that interest us, ie: I post a lot in the politics section. But so do social groups. Lawn Bowls for example, old people gathering around one central topic with the primary goal of having a cup of tea, a biscuit and catch up on the gossip WHILE playing a bit of lawn bowls.

TTA isn't a high school debate, it's a old people's wednesday lawn bowls club.

So if someone new comes along and wants to play some lawn bowls, that's absolutely fine. Encouraged even. But they have to accept that we have a tea and biscuit around lunch time and if you don't fit in with the gossip tea and biscuit time, then don't join in and just stick to the lawn bowls time.

I feel your ideas on the particular issue of is this a forum v community are being exchanged here... and I say that makes this a forum by his definition.

Plus my mothers mac n cheese is better.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
24-10-2012, 11:26 PM
(24-10-2012 10:54 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I feel your ideas on the particular issue of is this a forum v community are being exchanged here... and I say that makes this a forum by his definition.

Plus my mothers mac n cheese is better.

Nomination for 2013 TTA Award for Irony Spotting.

(and I thought we'd settled the mac-cheese debate... my cheese sauce recipe is now being used by chefs in Malaysia.. And I'm fucking proud of that!)

24-10-2012, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2012 12:02 AM by DLJ.)
(24-10-2012 10:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Fine you don't wanna talk about the real issue here we shall talk about community v forum.

Actually, that's an interwebz definition, not mine own.
I think there are a number of issues. Liberal (small L) vs. conservative is just one and don't worry bro' we know where you stand.

But I think you are rejecting the forum option, not the definition.
If I can take the liberty, you are saying that we have a forum within a community as opposed to being a forum that fulfills the needs of a community.
A successful community (probably) and a successful forum (definitely; see the mother of all parliaments) needs a balance of both. Long may that continue.
The Lawn Bowls analogy is a good one and therefore if I may extend it...
Quote:So if someone new comes along and wants to play some lawn bowls,, that's absolutely fine, Encouraged even. Then they have to accept...
A conservative would reject any attempts to change the rules of the game (e.g. uproar over that newfangled 20/20 cricket etc.) or the type or even the brand of biscuits.
A liberal will embrace change at the risk of throwing out all the good stuff.
However, slow, incremental, continual adaptation over generations is hardly noticed (I'm sure there's a word for that).

Perhaps, in KC's childrens' children's epoch, there might be a vote to drop the "A" from the TheThinkingAtheist Forum Community.

Consider

25-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Forum or Community
Isn't forum/community in the eye of the beholder? Or it the beholden?
I'm beholden to this forum for giving me a community to run my neck with, to use a phrase from brother Johnny C. It's a primary source of social interaction for me (sad, really, but that's the truth). But obviously it is not the case for everyone here. And that's okay. Does it really have to be anything that's overly analyzed? It is what you decide to make it.

That, and only you can prevent forest fires.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-10-2012, 12:52 AM
earmuffs Wrote:Why the fuck does everyone want people spamming the forum with useless threads?
Verbally abusing members etc.. etc.. etc..

Just the other week there was a thread about trolls verbally abusing forum members and something should be done about it, and now it's okay and nothing should be done about it, in fact we should roll out the red carpet and invite them in with welcome arms??

Make up your god damn mind TTA.

Dude, minus the spamming you are a troll by your own example Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
25-10-2012, 01:34 AM
(25-10-2012 12:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Isn't forum/community in the eye of the beholder? Or it the beholden?
I'm beholden to this forum for giving me a community to run my neck with, to use a phrase from brother Johnny C. It's a primary source of social interaction for me (sad, really, but that's the truth). But obviously it is not the case for everyone here. And that's okay. Does it really have to be anything that's overly analyzed? It is what you decide to make it.

That, and only you can prevent forest fires.

I agree, that is indeed, as you say, ok.

And that is kinda my point.... Celebrate diversity, I say. Others would say, assimilate or fuck off. Dodgy

And over-analysis is what I do. It's what I'm paid to do, actually.

The benefit of analysis is not necessarily "change".
Although "change" in a business setting (that's what I'm paid to do) or in a political setting (sound familiar?) is often desirable, I am certainly not recommending it for TTA. Apart from which, I have no remit so to do.

Usually the benefit of analysis is "awareness" = recognising the problem / issue. It may lead to change but it may just lead to acceptance of others' viewpoints as different but equal and take out some of the heat / emotion in exchanges and lead to improved communication.

I figured it was worth a shot. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-10-2012, 08:21 AM
(25-10-2012 12:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Isn't forum/community in the eye of the beholder? Or it the beholden?

That's not my eye you're holding. Evil_monster

As to the OP, there's elements of both at play.

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Interesting question.

I'm torn between the two. Hmmmm.

[Image: vjp09.gif]