Forum proselytizing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2013 09:55 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Forum proselytizing
I am a supermoderator over at China History Forum. As the name implies, the main subject of discussion is Chinese history, but we occasionally get spammers hocking clothing, pharmaceuticals, and technology. Recently we've had a couple of people try to proselytize. The first was a Christian; they claimed they were trying to spread "The Word" because China is mostly atheist and has one of the largest populations on earth--apparently everyone who frequents a Chinese history forum is atheist now. It was annoying but not that surprising. Well, the second was a bit of a surprise to me. We got our first Hare Krishna from Bangalore.

They wrote a long meandering post that didn't make much sense. Here is a small taste:

Quote:Practical Explanation ( For Example ) :- `1st of all can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )

can you tell me every single detail of your `1 cheapest Minute Or your whole hour, day, week, month, year or your whole life ??

if you are not able to tell me about this life then what proof do you have that you didn't forget your past ? and that you will not forget this present life in the future ?

that is Fact that Supreme Lord Krishna exists but we posses no such intelligence to understand him.
there is also next life. and i already proved you that no scientist, no politician, no so-called intelligent man in this world is able to understand this Truth. cuz they are imagining. and you cannot imagine what is god, who is god, what is after life etc.

Of course! Why didn't I think of this? Lord Krishna is real because I had past lives that I can't remember because I can't remember my birth. It makes perfect sense! Then again, a child's brain is not fully formed until they are three, so that might explain why most people can't remember their births. And there is CB1, a little chemical in the brain akin to THC (present in marijuana) that helps us forget things because remembering every single detail about one's life would overload the system.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
10-12-2013, 09:47 AM
RE: Online proselytizing
You get enough of it on here. Usually they're aquainted with only one religion though. Unlike a lot of the atheist community who in general have a reasonably good grasp on most of the main religions and find them easy enough to rebuke. YECs are my favourite Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2013, 09:58 AM
RE: Online proselytizing
(10-12-2013 09:26 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  And there is CB1, a little chemical in the brain akin to THC (present in marijuana) that helps us forget things because remembering every single detail about one's life would overload the system.

What is referred to as "CB1" is a set of cannabinoid receptors, not a chemical. Of course, I am aware that I am correcting the drivel you quoted that was posted by a Krishna panderytizer, and not you. Carry on.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
10-12-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: Forum proselytizing
We kill the bots and drivebys before they make it to the forum.

And believe me... there are a lot.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-12-2013, 10:21 AM
For some reason this reminds me of the people who knock on my door to tell me all about their version of god. When I point out that there is a "No Soliciting" sign at the front of our neighborhood that makes it illegal to solicit in our neighborhood, they reply "Oh we're not selling anything". Rolleyes Since when did "solicit" come to mean "sell" and since when are religious people not "selling" (as in giving a sales pitch) anyway?

But, back to the OP, what proof do I have that I didn't forget my past (question by the Hare Krishna)? Um none. I have forgotten plenty of my past. And this leads me to "therefore god" exactly how...? Consider

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
10-12-2013, 11:22 AM
(10-12-2013 10:21 AM)Impulse Wrote:  For some reason this reminds me of the people who knock on my door to tell me all about their version of god. When I point out that there is a "No Soliciting" sign at the front of our neighborhood that makes it illegal to solicit in our neighborhood, they reply "Oh we're not selling anything". Rolleyes Since when did "solicit" come to mean "sell" and since when are religious people not "selling" (as in giving a sales pitch) anyway?

Add: "No Proselytizing".

10-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't really think these pseudo "Evangelists" really are able to convince anyone with their flimsy reasoning.
13-12-2013, 10:09 PM
I live/work in China. I wouldnt call it atheist so much as irreligious. There are plenty of christians and muslims here, particularly in the lower tier cities. The state even has its own "official" christian church in recognition of the fact that many people still need religion in their lives.
But religion doesnt seem to matter to society in general. It is seen very much as a personal thing and those who believe keep it to themselves. And when it is discussed, there is no stigma attached to open atheism and christians are quite open to having their beliefs questioned and will enthusiastically debate their point of view.
Dont get me wrong, this is not a perfect society, and there are many many things that are wrong here. But on this particular issue they are streets ahead of the USA where I lived for the last decade

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
13-12-2013, 10:34 PM
(13-12-2013 10:09 PM)PeterKA Wrote:  I live/work in China. I wouldnt call it atheist so much as irreligious. There are plenty of christians and muslims here, particularly in the lower tier cities. The state even has its own "official" christian church in recognition of the fact that many people still need religion in their lives.
But religion doesnt seem to matter to society in general. It is seen very much as a personal thing and those who believe keep it to themselves. And when it is discussed, there is no stigma attached to open atheism and christians are quite open to having their beliefs questioned and will enthusiastically debate their point of view.
Dont get me wrong, this is not a perfect society, and there are many many things that are wrong here. But on this particular issue they are streets ahead of the USA where I lived for the last decade

PRC? Are you Chinese, or how did you come to live/work there?