Forum tips for internet noobs.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-04-2012, 02:49 PM
RE: Forum tips for internet noobs.
(27-04-2012 02:41 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(27-04-2012 07:16 AM)germanyt Wrote:  You can subscribe to a thread. You'll get a message if anyone posts in that thread and can even set up email alerts so you will know each and every time someone posts in a thread of interest.
I see. Nevermind me, I am just used to this feature from two other forums and it's awesome. To instantly see all replies to your posts without having to subscribe to them or having your inbox clogged with notices. I use this function more often than searching for all new posts.
The View New Posts link does this but also shows new posts in threads that you didn't post in. However, the icon next to each thread will indicate whether or not it contains a post of yours. As for something that shows posts made as a direct reply to your post, I've never seen that option before on a forum. Most I use are vBulletin.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2012, 07:15 PM
The stuff about the mods and first posts are covered in the forum rules thread.
27-04-2012, 07:48 PM
(27-04-2012 07:15 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  The stuff about the mods and first posts are covered in the forum rules thread.

Yep, but most people still seem to be unaware of it when they join.

It's something that bothers me because I can easily imagine we have people turn up, post, can't see their post and leave. We could be missing out on brilliant members because of it. It would be even worse if it was someone asking for help or advice.

How about we have a pre-written PM we send to people when we approve their posts. Unless they changed the settings they'll get an email. That could help.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
15-05-2012, 07:46 AM
It sucks that I can't edit my OP anymore.

For members who are relatively new to disbelief.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...or-atheist

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
15-05-2012, 08:58 AM
What's wrong with it?

And if you just want to add to it, you can post again and it equals the same thing. There's a tip for you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2012, 09:30 AM
(27-04-2012 07:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  We could be missing out on brilliant members because of it.

I don't know, Hughsie. It is my experience that brilliance implies reading comprehension... Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a good question from a new member. Is it possible to quote and respond to multiple users within on response?

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
15-06-2012, 05:36 PM
(15-06-2012 05:35 PM)HDT Wrote:  I have a good question from a new member. Is it possible to quote and respond to multiple users within on response?
Yes it is. Smartass

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-06-2012, 06:00 PM
(15-06-2012 05:35 PM)HDT Wrote:  I have a good question from a new member. Is it possible to quote and respond to multiple users within on response?

Yes. Next to the reply button you'll find a smaller tab with a little quote cloud on it. You can select as many of these from a single thread as you would like. On the last post you'd like to quote just use the regular 'reply' tab and each post will appear in the reply box with the appropriate name at the top. You can break long posts up into smaller quotes too by using [quote ] and [/quote ] tags. This is useful when you want to address points individually.

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
15-06-2012, 06:51 PM
(15-06-2012 06:00 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

Yes. Next to the reply button you'll find a smaller tab with a little quote cloud on it. You can select as many of these from a single thread as you would like. On the last post you'd like to quote just use the regular 'reply' tab and each post will appear in the reply box with the appropriate name at the top. You can break long posts up into smaller quotes too by using [quote ] and [/quote ] tags. This is useful when you want to address points individually.
Thank you very much! Excited to be a member here now.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forum Picture Thread: Do you have the balls and/or vagina to show yourself? Buddy Christ 5,463 321,419 26-07-2014 06:23 PM
Last Post: JDog554
Video Get To Know a Forum Member - Featuring You Dark Light 65 862 26-07-2014 02:46 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  New to the TTA forum Lewis 15 231 09-06-2014 06:22 AM
Last Post: Elskidor
  Hi, not here to join forum, but would like to chat with atheists Shimpe 31 588 02-05-2014 06:23 PM
Last Post: TheGulegon
  Skype Forum - A coming together of Minds NeonMoment 598 18,892 02-05-2014 07:12 AM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  New to this forum... Hello Ewok 18 188 25-03-2014 02:55 PM
Last Post: Blackhand293
  New to forum garyb65 10 317 10-01-2014 09:01 PM
Last Post: garyb65