Found a new shop towel! What do you have left over from YOUR deconversion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 01:46 AM
RE: Found a new shop towel! What do you have left over from YOUR deconversion?
(05-11-2012 12:29 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:16 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I guess you could say you discovered a whole new world? Sorry, just watched a disney flick today.

Damn, now I have that silly song in my head and I haven't even seen the movie in a at least 15 years. No

Mission accomplished. You're welcome. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
05-11-2012, 02:51 PM
It's a dazzling place he never knew!
05-11-2012, 04:21 PM
(05-11-2012 12:16 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The music is a sometimes tough one for me. Growing up, I listened almost exclusively to Christian Rock. So much of the music I get nostalgic for are Jesus Tunes. However, I've discovered a whole new joy in listening to Christee songs whilst smoking weed. Big Grin

I guess you could say you discovered a whole new world? Sorry, just watched a disney flick today.

Dangit! My daughter was about 3 when that movie was released on VHS. It's etched into the fibre of my being like it or not. Ugh, gonna hear this crap all day long I I don't purge and I have NO headphones. Must....hear....The Damned....aaaaargh!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
05-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I never really believed, however I do occasionally get Christian type gifts from family member that I can't part with without flat-out saying I'm a non-believer. On my list of Christiany stuff that I own is...

A military edition of the bible with my name etched on the front ( I think it's in a box somewhere)
Drumsticks that say "Stick with Jesus"
A gift-certificate for a Christian book-store...I might have actually thrown that out, idk
A religious thing that goes on your dog tags that have some saint on it, I don't know saints because I don't know any Catholics but it was given to me and a guy I served with that was KIA so I feel a need to keep it on my dog tags, just can't throw it out, feels disrespectful somehow, even though its right next to my dog tags that say NORELPREF which means No Religious Preference.

Umm...think that's about it.

05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I have a beautiful handmade wooden cross. I'm not ready to part with it, there's a sweet story that goes with it. But the other day my daughter found it in a closet and said, "Look, Mom! An airplane!" And flew it around the kitchen making airplane noises. I felt so proud of my parenting that she didn't know what it was!

I often run across old CDs of sermons. Those go in the trash immediately.

I noticed my Bible wedged under my daughter's toy chest the other day...

Some cross jewelry.....
[+] 1 user Likes vanilla's post
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
When I first became an atheist, I was still in a not 100% sure phase. I couldn't bring myself to throw anything religious away for fear of being sacrilegious. So I gave all my religious belongings to a relative who still believes. But I kept two. One was a Bible; the other was my favorite religious possession which was a four way medal in the shape of a cross with each branch of the cross containing a different Catholic religious medal. The four way medal itself was blessed by a priest. I had worn this for several years without ever taking it off for anything and for some stupid reason I didn't want to part with it. I had both of these for more than 20 years after that (stored away unused). Just last year, I came across the Bible and finally threw it away. (Now I kind of regret it because I've been paying more attention to my atheism lately and sometimes wish I had it to look something up. Rolleyes ) I actually forgot all about the medal until this thread. I still have it! Weeping At this point, I have no reservations about getting rid of it so it's going out in Thursday's trash pickup. Yes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
(06-11-2012 03:02 PM)Impulse Wrote:  When I first became an atheist, I was still in a not 100% sure phase. I couldn't bring myself to throw anything religious away for fear of being sacrilegious. So I gave all my religious belongings to a relative who still believes. But I kept two. One was a Bible; the other was my favorite religious possession which was a four way medal in the shape of a cross with each branch of the cross containing a different Catholic religious medal. The four way medal itself was blessed by a priest. I had worn this for several years without ever taking it off for anything and for some stupid reason I didn't want to part with it. I had both of these for more than 20 years after that (stored away unused). Just last year, I came across the Bible and finally threw it away. (Now I kind of regret it because I've been paying more attention to my atheism lately and sometimes wish I had it to look something up. Rolleyes ) I actually forgot all about the medal until this thread. I still have it! Weeping At this point, I have no reservations about getting rid of it so it's going out in Thursday's trash pickup. Yes
... That's not something I would get rid of. It was a part of your life... I like to keep that kind of thing around to remind me that I didn't always think like I do now...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-11-2012, 09:35 AM
(06-11-2012 11:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 03:02 PM)Impulse Wrote:  When I first became an atheist, I was still in a not 100% sure phase. I couldn't bring myself to throw anything religious away for fear of being sacrilegious. So I gave all my religious belongings to a relative who still believes. But I kept two. One was a Bible; the other was my favorite religious possession which was a four way medal in the shape of a cross with each branch of the cross containing a different Catholic religious medal. The four way medal itself was blessed by a priest. I had worn this for several years without ever taking it off for anything and for some stupid reason I didn't want to part with it. I had both of these for more than 20 years after that (stored away unused). Just last year, I came across the Bible and finally threw it away. (Now I kind of regret it because I've been paying more attention to my atheism lately and sometimes wish I had it to look something up. Rolleyes ) I actually forgot all about the medal until this thread. I still have it! Weeping At this point, I have no reservations about getting rid of it so it's going out in Thursday's trash pickup. Yes
... That's not something I would get rid of. It was a part of your life... I like to keep that kind of thing around to remind me that I didn't always think like I do now...
I appreciate the thought, but it has got to go. I had forgotten about it because it sits in a box I rarely go in so it hasn't exactly been reminding me of anything. What it will do though is become something that family comes across some day after I die and they will possibly think "oh, so he never really completely let go of his faith" and it could undo all I've been fighting for with some of them. I can't take that chance.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
My brain and bible. I never wore religious clothing, I never wear anything with text on it, I find it repulsive to actually rely on clothing to speak for me instead of myself. Oh I can not forget I still have my best friend as well.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
(07-11-2012 09:35 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 11:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  ... That's not something I would get rid of. It was a part of your life... I like to keep that kind of thing around to remind me that I didn't always think like I do now...
I appreciate the thought, but it has got to go. I had forgotten about it because it sits in a box I rarely go in so it hasn't exactly been reminding me of anything. What it will do though is become something that family comes across some day after I die and they will possibly think "oh, so he never really completely let go of his faith" and it could undo all I've been fighting for with some of them. I can't take that chance.

You know, you could give this to some Catholic lady to help you get into her pants. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post