Found a pet bunny - anyone w/ bunny experience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Found a pet bunny - anyone w/ bunny experience?
We looked outside this morning and saw a tiny black and white bunny in our front yard. We spent 20 minutes catching it and now have it safely inside our dog's old extra large crate with a blanket, some water in shallow dish, organic spinach and parsley and a little crumpled up newspaper for chewing.

She (guessing. lol) is in the playroom because it's a quiet room and we can shut the door. Since we have a rambunctious dog, I am concerned about her getting scared.

We are 90% sure it is our neighbor's bun, but they won't get home until tonight.

The other issue is they are terrible pet owners and have let a previous pet bunny loose to fend for itself - and she told us this very casually in conversation so she clearly had no issue/moral compass in doing so. I am reluctant to return this bunny Sad

Do bunnies require hay for digestion? Do you think it will be okay w/ what I gave it for now?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 12:57 PM
RE: Found a pet bunny - anyone w/ bunny experience?
p.s. it is quite cold here and we also have a daily hawk visitor, as well as many coyotes...to explain why we were adamant about catching it.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
17-01-2017, 01:02 PM
(17-01-2017 12:52 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  We looked outside this morning and saw a tiny black and white bunny in our front yard. We spent 20 minutes catching it and now have it safely inside our dog's old extra large crate with a blanket, some water in shallow dish, organic spinach and parsley and a little crumpled up newspaper for chewing.

She (guessing. lol) is in the playroom because it's a quiet room and we can shut the door. Since we have a rambunctious dog, I am concerned about her getting scared.

We are 90% sure it is our neighbor's bun, but they won't get home until tonight.

The other issue is they are terrible pet owners and have let a previous pet bunny loose to fend for itself - and she told us this very casually in conversation so she clearly had no issue/moral compass in doing so. I am reluctant to return this bunny Sad

Do bunnies require hay for digestion? Do you think it will be okay w/ what I gave it for now?

I have 3 mini lops bunnies. It will be fine for a few hours. But do separate it from the dog, unless the dog wants to nurture it. I think I would take it to a pet shelter if I were you. They like water, a carrot to chew on, maybe a little lettuce. They like straw to hide in and eat, but it will be fine for a while without it. My sister's bunnies like little cut up apples. They can be fussy eaters. If you keep it, the pet store has pellets they eat.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-01-2017, 01:02 PM
(17-01-2017 12:52 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  We looked outside this morning and saw a tiny black and white bunny in our front yard. We spent 20 minutes catching it and now have it safely inside our dog's old extra large crate with a blanket, some water in shallow dish, organic spinach and parsley and a little crumpled up newspaper for chewing.

I've never had a bunny as a pet, but I wouldn't be giving it back to the neighbors either. I would probably go to either the local animal shelter to see what they recommend as bunny basics or google...Or maybe ask your vet (many treat small animals) and might be helpful to get you pointed in the right direction (if you're planning on keeping it).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Just another link in the food chain...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Maybe it’s looking for friends, this website helps bunnies find each other.

http://www.explayboybunnies.com

[Image: TpQlBa0.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
17-01-2017, 01:24 PM
(17-01-2017 01:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Just another link in the food chain...

Big Grin

Growing up, that's the only reason people kept rabbits. Our neighbors all around us kept them in rabbit cages in their backyards.

Personally, I've never been very fond of rabbit. My man and kids seem to enjoy it though.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-01-2017, 01:25 PM
(17-01-2017 01:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 01:17 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Just another link in the food chain...

Big Grin

Growing up, that's the only reason people kept rabbits. Our neighbors all around us kept them in rabbit cages in their backyards.

Personally, I've never been very fond of rabbit. My man and kids seem to enjoy it though.

Yup.. Duckies and bunnies are cute.....

They're also delicious domesticated farm animals.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2017, 01:39 PM
I would call your local veterinarian. Take him in for a checkup and then they can offer ways to keep him as a pet. I would not return him to neighbors.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Had a few pet rabbits growing up (and also enjoyed hunting wild rabbits with my slingshot Tongue).

They can actually make good house pets. They're not too difficult to train to use a cat box, and the ones I had would even play with the cats. I had a bunny cage because they prefer to have that perceived protection when they sleep, but I'd rarely close it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post