Found a pet bunny - anyone w/ bunny experience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 01:41 PM
RE: Found a pet bunny - anyone w/ bunny experience?
Thanks, everyone!

Do they mind or prefer being alone? I have a work deadline, so I was sitting in the room with it - should I leave so it can sleep? It's looking at me. lol

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 01:48 PM
No experience but I know that bunnies/rabbits have fast heart rates and can easily die from heart attacks, if they're frightened too much. At least I read that somewhere. Tongue

17-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Having had a few bunnies (Arthur lived till aged 15 Human year) IF you're going to keep him/her.

1) Vet check. Both for health and determining if bunny is he or she. Smile

2) Accommodation. Bunny's don't actually make great house pets (Though Ginger and Arthur lived inside all their lives) because their teeth keep growing and they chew. They will chew EVERYTHING. Curtain ends, cable of all sized (Lost an $80 dollar mouse because Gigner hopped into room. Wandered behind computer desk and 'chomp' severed the cable in one, clean bite.)

a rabbit 'Hutch' is a cage where you have a smaller box into which they can scampoer, hide and feel 'safe' but the whole thing should actually be quite large.

A friend made a hutch of five pieces of timber frame covered in wire mesh (Forget the exact square size, but smaller than a mouse can fit through) Three sides are rectangles. A meter on one side and two meters on the other. The two 'end' pieces are simply equilateral triangles with one meter a side. The whole thing fits together with hook and eye bolts so you can put the triangular prism together and apart again. Th8is allows you to put the hutch/cage away when bunny is in side... but allows you to pop the thing up and allow bunny to hop around 'outside' in the sunny days and eat grass off your lawn. Big Grin

Yes, lots of water. A cat 'drip' type drinking bottle type thing should do. We were filling ours at least once a day, some times twice on really hot days.

Also... bunny's have a.. 'peculiar' eating habit.

3) Bunny droppings. Bunny eat. They nibble a lot. Because they're herbivores and rather small they don't have a really long tummy to digest everything properly. So, they have two types of dropping. Those that are hard-ish pellets that are 'finished'... and... wetter, squishy pellets that they ingest again for a second go through the digestion track. Hope every one is enjoying breakfast. Tongue

Hope these rambling thoughts help a little from what I can remember. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
17-01-2017, 01:51 PM
(17-01-2017 01:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  No experience but I know that bunnies/rabbits have fast heart rates and can easily die from heart attacks, if they're frightened too much.

I used to walk our dog when i was a kid. He loved to hunt bunnies, but never had a chance to catch one (thats why i didnt mind letting him chase em). But one day he must have spotted a young one. He stopped him, barked at him, and young bunny dropped dead. Weeping

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
17-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Yes... friend had bunnys. Tried to get boy and girl bunny's to rub themselves together in that very special way.

Girl bunny got preggers. BIG thunderstorm came over. LOTS thunder and lightning. Poor lady bunny passed away due to fright of noise.

Sadcryface
17-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Since the neighbor turned one out, that might be the case for this one, so I agree that it shouldn't go back to her. Will you get any grief if your neighbor discovers that you have it?
17-01-2017, 02:58 PM
My pet bunny died Sadcryface Not before peeing all over the car. The car never smelled the same again, especially on hot days. We always remembered that bunny.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-01-2017, 03:16 PM
I've forwarded the OP to an expert.

[Image: 173?cb=20130902161428]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
17-01-2017, 03:17 PM
(17-01-2017 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  My pet bunny died Sadcryface Not before peeing all over the car. The car never smelled the same again, especially on hot days. We always remembered that bunny.
If you can remove dead human smell from a car you can remove bunny pee. You just need to find the right people. Start by asking car detailing shops.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2017, 03:17 PM
I am currently bunny-sitting for my son and his ex-girlfriend (long story).
Anyway, most bunnies like some kind of gentle attention (petting them on their heads, specifically) but as prey animals, they don't like being held, so you should try to approach your bunny on the ground at his/her level, or better yet, lie down and let him/her approach you. (They are quite curious but think of your bunny's perspective; you and all other humans are GIANTS)
They are surprisingly easy to litter train and their litter box smells much less than a cat's (I have two cats who "adopted" the bunny, even though they seem fascinated with hunting outdoor bunnies Hobo
They will chew electrical wiring, so ideally you want to keep them in a cage/room where none is present.
You can give them cardboard boxes and old newspapers (no coloured ink) to chew and play with. They will make themselves little tunnels and nests in the boxes if you cut out a few holes. They can learn to come when called, especially if you offer treats.
Some bunnies will bite if threatened, but if you treat them well and they learn to trust you, they'll seek out your hand and lick you to show affection.
They have sensitive digestive systems, so hay is ideal, along with other foods

All in all, I was surprised at how good a pet they are, although I prefer cats.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom