Foundation Beyond Belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Foundation Beyond Belief
This is a great organization and it's founded by humanists and atheists. They're helping the Louisiana flood victims. I donated some money. Maybe some of it will help Kingschosen. Thumbsup

https://foundationbeyondbelief.org/flooding-southernusa

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-08-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Foundation Beyond Belief
(26-08-2016 04:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is a great organization and it's founded by humanists and atheists. They're helping the Louisiana flood victims. I donated some money. Maybe some of it will help Kingschosen. Thumbsup

That’s good of you DF2, KC had a Go Fund Me Campaign as well.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-08-2016, 06:55 PM
I bet some of the church jerks down there refuse the atheist group's help, like happened recently in Oklahoma:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chri...c1ff279786

Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Continuing with my previous comment... I have actually experienced that refusal of Christians to acknowledge atheist charity directly, when I was a member of an atheist group in Kansas.

We as a group participated in something called the "AIDS Walk", for the local PWA charity group, along with several of the local churches. We hustled so hard and gave so much of our own money on top of it that we raised more than any other group by about $500.

When we went to present our check, and found out that we were #1 (which would have resulted in a certificate for being the top donors, with our group name on it), the church groups began to object, and the award was delayed... while we all stood around in the public park where our walk had ended. The church group gave enough money to beat our figure by $100, just to be sure the atheists didn't get recognized for being most charitable.

We considered raising the stakes yet again, but knew that our little group, which was composed mainly of college students, would not be able to win a bidding war, so we let the church have the award. We figured hey, it raised more money for the charity, and we didn't need a certificate anyway. But we were astounded that the churches couldn't abide the thought of an atheist group being so charitable. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-08-2016, 03:29 AM
(26-08-2016 04:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is a great organization and it's founded by humanists and atheists. They're helping the Louisiana flood victims. I donated some money. Maybe some of it will help Kingschosen. Thumbsup

Oops, I get a "threat to privacy from this site" warning when I hit the link!

Otherwise it is really great to see a humanist/atheist irganisation actually doing community things.

One of the theists' favourite digsis that humanists, at least, are too self-protective, inwards looking, antagonistic etc. Or that atheists are self-serving, individualistic, following no "creed" except, "There is no god".

Religion is mostly organised, has an infrastructure built over a couple of thousand years for the xtians, longer for many others. Many religionistas have a serving vocational drive of some kind, professional or as an avocation. So they work or volunteer in the community, not always to prosetylise.

Many local humanist groups are "intellectual" talking shops, campaigning on line but do not get out amongst the needy. Perhaps that is changing?

Hope so!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post