Foundation, by Asimov

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2013, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2013 03:11 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Star Foundation, by Asimov
I'm currently re-reading Foundation with the intent of continuing on to the other Foundation books for the first time. I'm excluding the prequels.

My first qualm.

Some star systems are becoming more degenerate and barbarous. So much so that they can't even build or maintain nuclear power plants (which is a key plot point), and it was stated to have been a technology that has been around for thousands of years. And yet they can still travel between solar systems easily, waging petty wars.

Are we to believe that nuclear power plants are more complex than "faster than light" spaceships? Has FTL technology become so simple in this Universe? Or am I missing something here?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2013, 03:43 PM
RE: Foundation, by Asimov
Nuclear technology was cutting edge when Assimov was writing. Just enjoy it as campy.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
16-09-2013, 08:23 PM
That wouldn't be an acceptable answer. If so, FTL was so cutting edge that not only was it not invented yet, it's impossible to invent in any form. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.
16-09-2013, 08:56 PM
They use old ships, they make the repairs in more advanced planets, but can't keep their own shit together...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-09-2013, 09:20 PM
(16-09-2013 08:23 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  That wouldn't be an acceptable answer. If so, FTL was so cutting edge that not only was it not invented yet, it's impossible to invent in any form. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

No, you're not missing anything. Assimov was writing at the time when nuclear energy was being developed. They really did believe it would solve all our problems. The concept of warp drive, ram scoops and many of the other FTL concepts were not yet articulated by Gene Roddenberry and other authors.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
16-09-2013, 10:02 PM
You should read Asimov more for the social insight than the scientific one, he was actually pretty bad at imagining technology, in "The end of Eternity" he describes computers as huge and slow and pretty much useless.

16-09-2013, 10:06 PM
(16-09-2013 10:02 PM)nach_in Wrote:  You should read Asimov more for the social insight than the scientific one, he was actually pretty bad at imagining technology, in "The end of Eternity" he describes computers as huge and slow and pretty much useless.

I haven't read that one but he has computers running the whole world and developing space drive concepts in iRobot.

Also he was pretty on the money about a lot of things considering when he was writing as this buzz feed illustrates:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/is...ngly-accur

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2013, 10:30 PM
(16-09-2013 09:20 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  
(16-09-2013 08:23 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  That wouldn't be an acceptable answer. If so, FTL was so cutting edge that not only was it not invented yet, it's impossible to invent in any form. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

No, you're not missing anything. Assimov was writing at the time when nuclear energy was being developed. They really did believe it would solve all our problems. The concept of warp drive, ram scoops and many of the other FTL concepts were not yet articulated by Gene Roddenberry and other authors.

Okay. I was just wondering if there was an excuse for why FTL was much easier than today's tech - like (off the top of my head) humans discovered worm holes existed and that it only took a certain type of energy or frequency to open them up. Something simple, but not yet realized.
16-09-2013, 10:37 PM
(16-09-2013 10:06 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(16-09-2013 10:02 PM)nach_in Wrote:  You should read Asimov more for the social insight than the scientific one, he was actually pretty bad at imagining technology, in "The end of Eternity" he describes computers as huge and slow and pretty much useless.

I haven't read that one but he has computers running the whole world and developing space drive concepts in iRobot.

Also he was pretty on the money about a lot of things considering when he was writing as this buzz feed illustrates:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/is...ngly-accur

I never saw that, he was quite good then... I only saw some mistakes in his books and took it from there, maybe I just noticed the worst Tongue

05-10-2013, 01:08 AM
I finished the first three books - Foundation, Empire, and Second.

The parts of the Mule that bridged Empire and Second was my favourite bit. I have a sweet spot for stories about exceptional beings that single handedly create a worldwide/galactic wide benevolent (debatable, but left vague enough) dictatorships.

It was a good series, but I want this series rewritten today to be more "up to date" scifi wise, and people with literary skill behind them. It's a diamond that needs to be polished.