Four minute summary of IPCC report

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Four minute summary of IPCC report

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2013, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2013 07:18 AM by sporehux.)
RE: Four minute summary of IPCC report
FYI: im not a climate change skeptic, im just a skeptic.
Have got in so many arguments with environmentalists over their bullshit doomsday "facts" (my house should be underwater by now), Climate change is a quasi religion to some and merely questioning their data is taboo. To me Tidal power and Nuclear are the answer, I feel like smashing solar panels over the heads of our sycophantic politicians wind and solar have their place but are sucking all the dev$ away from better nuke stations and unlimited energy from the moons gravity (tides). AAAAAARARGGRGSAAA FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Something that set off my BS detector was Ocean Acidity up by 26%, WTF ill have to research that now (this forum is hard work),

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
26-11-2013, 07:22 AM
H+ ions are up 26% from a fairly low base, but it is starting to affect animals with calcium carbonate shells. Note that pH is a logarithmic scale so absolute changes of that magnitude don't make a big pH difference.

This is a little old but might be a good place to start:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/ocean-ac...arming.htm

Here's the 2007 IPCC report on the subject:
http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data...4-2-3.html
and
http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data...0-4-2.html

You'll find references along with the material.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-11-2013, 07:36 AM
ok so that great idea of seeding the oceans with iron or something to take CO out of the air with Algae and sequestering in the sea water may not be so great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_fertilization

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-11-2013, 07:47 AM
It's probably not without its consequences, and I think hasn't worked well in small trials Wink
That said, having huge oxygen-free dead zones at the bottom of oceans seems to have been an effective sequestration strategy at various times in the geological past.

26-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Pretty stark report I feel. not much new apart from a lot of words to counter a lot of the scaremongering folks out there.

what i find encouraging is that the antarctic sea ice extent has increased by more than 1%.. maybe there is a sign that we may be able reverse our damage, sooner rather than the centuries they are predicting (millenia in some cases).

Surprising amount of things in there with mediocre confidence or liklihood of happening though, (likely being from 33-66%), I feel like it is trying to be harsh enough to force some more legislation.
26-11-2013, 09:58 AM
(26-11-2013 09:07 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  Pretty stark report I feel. not much new apart from a lot of words to counter a lot of the scaremongering folks out there.

what i find encouraging is that the antarctic sea ice extent has increased by more than 1%.. maybe there is a sign that we may be able reverse our damage, sooner rather than the centuries they are predicting (millenia in some cases).

Surprising amount of things in there with mediocre confidence or liklihood of happening though, (likely being from 33-66%), I feel like it is trying to be harsh enough to force some more legislation.

The increase of Antarctic ice is indicative of global warming.

The following is from http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/sres/regi...php?idp=46

In Antarctica, temperatures are so low that comparatively little surface melting occurs on the continental ice sheet; ice loss is mainly by iceberg calving, the rates of which are determined by dynamic processes involving long response times (thousands of years). Even if Antarctica were to warm in the future, its mass balance is expected to become more positive: The rise in temperature would be insufficient to initiate melt but would increase snowfall (IPCC 1996, WG II, Section 7.4). Little change in Antarctic ice sheets is expected over the next 50 years
26-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Sounds very strawman, to say "complex factors mean this"

Let me have my dream that we can achieve a recovery Tongue