Fox Apologist Explains Harvey with God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 03:11 PM by TSG.)
Thumbs Down Fox Apologist Explains Harvey with God
Rick Stedman, a Christian apologist, just wrote an Opinion piece for the Fox News website titled "Where is God in the Terrible Tragedy in Houston?" It's about as computer-punchy as you'd expect. Highlights:

Quote:Compassionate volunteers helped nursing home patients flee before the rising waters inundated their residences. Did the volunteers always act this compassionately in the past? Or did the enormity of the crisis bring their true design, based on God’s love, to the surface?

Quote:In a world that assumes there are no objective rights and wrongs, tragedies recalibrate our moral compasses and remind us that some things are always right. Could doing the right thing be more than an instinct? Could it be an echo of the very nature of a righteous and moral God?

Quote:Families wept over the death of loved ones, just as Jesus wept near the tomb of his friend Lazarus. Could our tears and sorrows be reminders that death was not part of our original design, that we were created to be like God—immortal?

(Think about it: if atheistic materialism is true, don’t you think we would have become used to death in 3+ billion years of life on planet Earth? Wouldn’t we have settled the case that human deaths are par for the course and shouldn’t trouble us more than the death of a plant or pet?)

Quote:God is not absent but is very, very subtle. He hides himself in plain sight, but can be found when we learn how to decipher the clues that point toward his presence. And the clues are abundant right now in Houston.

Do I even need to bother pointing out how asinine and puerile this line of logic is? God is so loving that he gives people the opportunity to do the right thing? He didn't really give that opportunity to the people whom he killed in the deluge, did he? Not to mention that utterly baffling non-sequitur about "atheistic materialism."

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like TSG's post
31-08-2017, 03:06 PM
RE: Fox Apologist Explains Harvey with God
:face palm:

This just angers me and makes me sad.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Given the course of evolution I would think death would gradually be viewed as worse and worse--life is geared towards surviving. As early life forms evolved they became more complex. They developed nerves, pain receptors, tools that enabled organisms survive better but likewise made death suck even more. Furthermore, as social species evolved, populations that were altruistic and sympathetic and helped each other avoid death performed better than those that didn't. Death negatively affected the population, so obviously it was to be avoided, feared, even mourned as strong social ties had been broken. Just add a few million years and let it simmer.

There's no getting used to death as long as life cooks up different ways for it to suck.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 11 users Like Loom's post
31-08-2017, 04:34 PM
As usual, comments on a Fox News article are a disgusting mess. Nothing but "Praise God!" and "Obama Leftards". There are several people citing the story of Job. Complacency is not a good way to explain away your deity murdering 35 people and displacing 32,000 people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
31-08-2017, 06:15 PM
(31-08-2017 03:01 PM)TSG Wrote:  Rick Stedman, a Christian apologist, just wrote an Opinion piece for the Fox News website titled "Where is God in the Terrible Tragedy in Houston?" It's about as computer-punchy as you'd expect. Highlights:

Quote:Compassionate volunteers helped nursing home patients flee before the rising waters inundated their residences. Did the volunteers always act this compassionately in the past? Or did the enormity of the crisis bring their true design, based on God’s love, to the surface?

Quote:In a world that assumes there are no objective rights and wrongs, tragedies recalibrate our moral compasses and remind us that some things are always right. Could doing the right thing be more than an instinct? Could it be an echo of the very nature of a righteous and moral God?

Quote:Families wept over the death of loved ones, just as Jesus wept near the tomb of his friend Lazarus. Could our tears and sorrows be reminders that death was not part of our original design, that we were created to be like God—immortal?

(Think about it: if atheistic materialism is true, don’t you think we would have become used to death in 3+ billion years of life on planet Earth? Wouldn’t we have settled the case that human deaths are par for the course and shouldn’t trouble us more than the death of a plant or pet?)

Quote:God is not absent but is very, very subtle. He hides himself in plain sight, but can be found when we learn how to decipher the clues that point toward his presence. And the clues are abundant right now in Houston.

Do I even need to bother pointing out how asinine and puerile this line of logic is? God is so loving that he gives people the opportunity to do the right thing? He didn't really give that opportunity to the people whom he killed in the deluge, did he? Not to mention that utterly baffling non-sequitur about "atheistic materialism."

He should be apologizing for that.
It's probably not a good sign when your cult has to employ professional apologizers.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-08-2017, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 07:13 PM by Anjele.)
Our Father, who art in heaven, Harvey be thy name...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 10 users Like Anjele's post
31-08-2017, 07:11 PM
(31-08-2017 03:01 PM)TSG Wrote:  ...
Quote:... trouble us more than the death of a plant or pet?)

I'm still saddened sometimes when I think of the death, twenty-one years ago, of my first and only non-human pet.

Yet, there are friends and relatives, gone from me in my teens and twenties... sometimes I struggle to remember their names.

If we had evolved to mourn the loss of trees and forests the world would be in a lot better shape than it is now.

Consider

Meanwhile...
Jesus .... 0
Mo ........ 1
... after extra time and a penalty shoot out.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
31-08-2017, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 07:53 PM by M. Linoge.)
(31-08-2017 06:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 03:01 PM)TSG Wrote:  Rick Stedman, a Christian apologist, just wrote an Opinion piece for the Fox News website titled "Where is God in the Terrible Tragedy in Houston?" It's about as computer-punchy as you'd expect. Highlights:

He should be apologizing for that.
It's probably not a good sign when your cult has to employ professional apologizers.

Or a really good one, if you're part of the advertising crew. 'Cause if people are buying that, they will obviously buy into anything you say, until their deathbeds.
Somewhere, right now, a con-man is sipping scotch, chuckling to himself that 'it's almost too easy'.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
31-08-2017, 07:57 PM
(31-08-2017 07:11 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm still saddened sometimes when I think of the death, twenty-one years ago, of my first and only non-human pet.

"Non-human" pet? As opposed to a human pet?

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
31-08-2017, 08:50 PM
(31-08-2017 07:57 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 07:11 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm still saddened sometimes when I think of the death, twenty-one years ago, of my first and only non-human pet.

"Non-human" pet? As opposed to a human pet?

What ?
You have no humans to pet human pets ?
Even teachers have pets.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post