Fox News Attack On Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 03:22 AM
RE: Fox News Attack On Atheists
I know that a lot of you reflexively hate FoxNews. I don't see what's out of line in the story. Could someone quote for me what you don't think belongs in a news story from the article that was in the link? I think FoxNews actually is more balanced in it's reporting than other mainstream media. The commentary in their non-news shows (O'Reilly, Hannity, etc.) definitely tilts right but those are not the news programs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
23-08-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm with Jeff on this one.

I didn't real see anything newsworthy in the article but it was largely fact-based.

This bit:
"Of course it’s not appropriate, it’s never appropriate to insult another person, it’s never appropriate to disrespect another person,” Christian Life Center Pastor Mark Matthews told FoxNews.com.

... is a quote and there were plenty of quotes too from Silverman etc.

They could have noted that an attack on religion is not the same as an attack on a person but Silverman did say the bill-boards were targeting the beliefs of named people (i.e. the next POTUS)

I've seen worse.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Ok Jeff and DLJ, thank you. I was beginning to think I was crazy for not finding too much wrong with the article. Sure they quoted some jerk but there was nothing overtly offensive to me.

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 3 users Like futureMACH's post
23-08-2012, 09:21 AM
(23-08-2012 05:12 AM)futureMACH Wrote:  Ok Jeff and DLJ, thank you. I was beginning to think I was crazy for not finding too much wrong with the article. Sure they quoted some jerk but there was nothing overtly offensive to me.

I, too, struggled to see a real problem with the article. It wasn't favourable towards atheism, but considering that this is Fox News... for them, it was relatively unbiased.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I didn't really like these billboards. They seem to be just trying to pack too much information into too small a space. I thought the RDF campaigns around "there probably is no god" have been much more effective.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah, this article isn't as bad as it could be. I don't see it as an "attack".

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-08-2012, 10:31 AM
95% of the news is propaganda. I find it reprehensible at best. Fox is the lowest of the troth of pigs slop.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
23-08-2012, 10:54 AM
OP, what are you talking about?

There is no attack. Nothing. Point something out in the article written by the journalist that attacks atheism.

There is a good balance of quotes from people who are both for and against it.

I honestly think you got bent out of shape because you have a hate towards Foxnews... no matter what they post.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
23-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Upon actually reading the article, I have to agree. There was no attack here.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 01:12 PM
(22-08-2012 04:41 PM)zac724 Wrote:  Agreed with the equal pairing of shows on other channels. I really want to know when the news channels stopped reporting news and instead starting spewing ideologies and talk shows out. What happened to showing "The facts are A, B, & C" instead of talking about "What really ARE the letters A, B, & C.'".
Why can't the atheists put together the better media network of honest news, as you all describe as to be had?

Are the Christians, Jews, and Muslims, determined to stop the atheists from describing the truth of events?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool