Fox News Science Article

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Fox News Science Article
Here. Pretty straight forward. No big deal. Until you get to #5 and #6. WTF? I mean, WTF?

Specialize in day living

Animals that specialize in day living tend to improve their chances for living a long life. Most birds are day dwellers. Healy said that "crepuscular flying species (species which are most active at both dawn and dusk) had shorter lifespans than flying species, which were active at other times of the day. The reason we think that this might be is that the dusk and dawn periods are relatively short, and hence these species have only a small window in which to feed."

Specialize in night living

Night dwellers do just as well as those that prefer day living, so long as each group sticks to their evolved schedule. Raccoons, bats and many other animals love the nightlife. Most small mammals die relatively young, but some bats can live over the age of 40.

So... Fox... what you're saying is specializing in day and night living makes for longer life. Ok. Got it.

Facepalm

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 07:38 AM
RE: Fox News Science Article
FOX News...the more you watch, the less you know.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 14 users Like Full Circle's post
17-04-2014, 08:16 AM
Wait, so if I'm specialized in day time living I increase my life span compared to night time specialized creatures. BUT if I'm night time specialized I can live just as long as my day time counterparts?

The logical fallacy is strong in this one.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
17-04-2014, 10:05 AM
(17-04-2014 07:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Here. Pretty straight forward. No big deal. Until you get to #5 and #6. WTF? I mean, WTF?

Specialize in day living

Animals that specialize in day living tend to improve their chances for living a long life. Most birds are day dwellers. Healy said that "crepuscular flying species (species which are most active at both dawn and dusk) had shorter lifespans than flying species, which were active at other times of the day. The reason we think that this might be is that the dusk and dawn periods are relatively short, and hence these species have only a small window in which to feed."

Night dwellers do just as well as those that prefer day living, so long as each group sticks to their evolved schedule. Raccoons, bats and many other animals love the nightlife. Most small mammals die relatively young, but some bats can live over the age of 40.

So... Fox... what you're saying is specializing in day and night living makes for longer life. Ok. Got it.

Facepalm
I think they may mean that specializing in nothing is worse for an animal than specializing in certain parts of the day. For example, and animal that does anything at anytime.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
17-04-2014, 10:25 AM
(17-04-2014 07:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Here. Pretty straight forward. No big deal. Until you get to #5 and #6. WTF? I mean, WTF?

Specialize in day living

Facepalm

I think what they are trying to communicate that animals with specific times for activities are more likely to live longer.

Which, is not really surprising. I mean gee, who would have guessed that a nocturnal animal which roams around at night would live longer than a diurnal one roaming around at night. Who would have thunk it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-04-2014, 10:28 AM
(17-04-2014 07:38 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  FOX News...the more you watch, the less you know.

Oh that's pithy!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-04-2014, 11:11 AM
(17-04-2014 10:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 07:38 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  FOX News...the more you watch, the less you know.

Oh that's pithy!

Have you developed a lisp? Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Specialize in day living

Facepalm

I don't think there's any contradiction there. All they're saying is day specialization and night specialization live longer than dawn and dusk only specialization (crepuscular, cool word) 'cause they got longer times to find food. Don't see any particular problem with that theory.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-04-2014, 12:14 PM
>Fox News
>science article

[Image: L3De9bw.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
17-04-2014, 12:15 PM
(17-04-2014 08:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait, so if I'm specialized in day time living I increase my life span compared to night time specialized creatures. BUT if I'm night time specialized I can live just as long as my day time counterparts?

The logical fallacy is strong in this one.

Yeah, what the hell?

N > D for all N = D

My five-year-old can prove that wrong with simple declarative statements.

Fox News: knows less than my kindergartener.