Fox News vs CNN

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: Fox News vs CNN
My view is that anyone who relies on either Fox or CNN to tell them what's going on in the world probably has no Censored'ing idea what's going on in the world.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
12-04-2017, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 09:01 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(12-04-2017 05:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:41 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Now if Republican supporters use FoxNews and Briebart and if Democrat supporters use CNN etc, then I can see why there is such a huge divide between the people of the US. Neither listening to each other, each thinking the other is wacko and insanely supportive of their political party no matter what.
There is some truth in that; however, not everyone in the US is either a Democrat or a Republican.

Quote:It seems to me that a person in USA needs to make a great deal of effort in order to try and get a non political view (objective view) of what is going on in your country.
I think that is true here; I suspect it is true in most places.

For myself, I don't own a TV, and see very little of either FOX or CNN.

I do listen to a lot of radio, and I listen to both "conservative" and "liberal" programming on domestic stations. I also listen to a fair number of foreign new sources via shortwave. I supplement that with various newspapers, magazines, and web resources.

All, without exception, are biased. But they are biased in various different directions, and to different extents.
Getting real news isn't easy; you have to work for it.

This is my approach almost to a tee. The bias I sense in most outlets is something I counteract by shopping for news across the spectrum of programming, and then triangulating for myself on the assumption that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-04-2017, 08:39 PM
(12-04-2017 08:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 05:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  There is some truth in that; however, not everyone in the US is either a Democrat or a Republican.

I think that is true here; I suspect it is true in most places.

For myself, I don't own a TV, and see very little of either FOX or CNN.

I do listen to a lot of radio, and I listen to both "conservative" and "liberal" programming on domestic stations. I also listen to a fair number of foreign new sources via shortwave. I supplement that with various newspapers, magazines, and web resources.

All, without exception, are biased. But they are biased in various different directions, and to different extents.
Getting real news isn't easy; you have to work for it.

This ks my approach almost to a tee. The bias I sense in most outlets is something I counteract by shopping for news across the spectrum of programming, and then triangulating for myself on the assumption that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Yes Wouldn't it be nice if there was a news agency that reported the actual news, and the truth? They'd probably be firebombed by both political parties! Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Everything should be viewed through the lens of a finely, honed bullshit detector.

There are sources that are better than others in regards to objectivity and unbiased journalism. Not perfect, but better.

Whenever I see something interesting come up on Fox or CNN I try to find the same story on Wikinews or Reuters.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
12-04-2017, 09:36 PM
(12-04-2017 08:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I counteract by shopping for news across the spectrum of programming, and then triangulating for myself on the assumption that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

While I'm all for getting and evaluating input from multiple sources across the spectrum, I never assume the truth is "somewhere in the middle." Sometimes an extreme position is the true one. Sometimes one side is outright lying and the other isn't. For example, this sort of "somewhere in the middle" triangulation would lead to the false conclusion that two or three million people voted illegally for Clinton rather than the entire five million that Trump claims.
[+] 2 users Like John Derderian's post
13-04-2017, 01:20 AM
(12-04-2017 09:36 PM)John Derderian Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 08:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I counteract by shopping for news across the spectrum of programming, and then triangulating for myself on the assumption that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

While I'm all for getting and evaluating input from multiple sources across the spectrum, I never assume the truth is "somewhere in the middle." Sometimes an extreme position is the true one. Sometimes one side is outright lying and the other isn't. For example, this sort of "somewhere in the middle" triangulation would lead to the false conclusion that two or three million people voted illegally for Clinton rather than the entire five million that Trump claims.

He's upped it to five? God what a self-obsessed dickhead.

This shit needs to be taken seriously though. He's continuing to make unfounded claims and per the OP is conducting a witch-hunt of the former administration. It may not seem like much now, but let him get comfortable with his support base, I don't think it's impossible to see him arrest Obama or Hillary. He's a massive threat to your democracy. He's a bungling fool, but he's got enough low cunning to blame his mistakes on others and perform a bit of misdirection. If he continues to get away with it you guys really will struggle.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-04-2017, 05:04 AM
(12-04-2017 07:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 02:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Really? You don't watch that channel, do you.
Really? You don't watch that channel, do you.

Really. I stopped watching after I caught on to the above trends. I'm surprised you haven't yet.

Your fictions don't affect most people's viewing habit. Just so you know.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2017, 08:51 AM
(13-04-2017 01:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  He's upped it to five?
As of January he was claiming three to five million illegal votes, and literally all of them for Clinton.
[+] 1 user Likes John Derderian's post
13-04-2017, 09:05 AM
(12-04-2017 09:36 PM)John Derderian Wrote:  

Yeah, it's not a perfect heuristic. It was formulated long before the existence of "alternative facts", Infowars, and so on.

As Yak mentions, treating mainstream media with skepticism, and applying critical thinking, is almost always a good idea. That is certainly changing the location of "the middle" in my formulation.
13-04-2017, 09:59 AM
(12-04-2017 08:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Everything should be viewed through the lens of a finely, honed bullshit detector.

There are sources that are better than others in regards to objectivity and unbiased journalism. Not perfect, but better.

Whenever I see something interesting come up on Fox or CNN I try to find the same story on Wikinews or Reuters.

This is my take as well ...Reuters tends to be my goto when I smell the BS. Honestly, I avoid Fox most of the time although I don't know that CNN is MUCH better ...more often than not, the headlines are hyperbolized but often the articles themselves aren't all that bad though.

Comment sections in either will drop your IQ by 10 points within minutes though.
[+] 3 users Like Grauwyler's post