Fox News vs CNN

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2017, 07:51 AM
RE: Fox News vs CNN
They are all unreliable to varying degrees. CNN lies roughly between Fox and MSNBC. If you watch Fox regularly, you will not find anything odd with Alex Jones infowars.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
21-04-2017, 08:51 AM
All TV news resources are unreliable if you want to remain unbiased. I think the best way is to find a youtube channel for both parties and try to find footage that might contradict each other. That's how I remain updated at least. You won't find an objective youtuber either but you are far more likely to find unedited clips there.
21-04-2017, 11:01 AM
(21-04-2017 07:51 AM)tomilay Wrote:  They are all unreliable to varying degrees.

The selection and presentation of information as important for other people's notice is always a value judgment, and value judgments derive from whatever values are at the heart of news organizations. In many if not most cases, those values are driven by a profit motive. They must be popular to maintain or increase their revenue. To be popular typically means to be entertaining, usually by telling stories that reinforce the values of the target viewing audience. Therefore, that some specialize in one or another political position has less to do with politics than with profit, given the fragmentation of viewership with the increase in numbers of choices.

The moral of the story is "Beware of overriding narratives of any sort. Humans are more complicated and confused than any us-versus-them narrative allows."

All in all, I find more useful information in reading books.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
21-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Also be aware of people who automatically dismiss a source because it is "Fox" or "CNN" without judging the accuracy of the report they're watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2017, 11:17 AM
(21-04-2017 11:01 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The selection and presentation of information as important for other people's notice is always a value judgment, and value judgments derive from whatever values are at the heart of news organizations. In many if not most cases, those values are driven by a profit motive. They must be popular to maintain or increase their revenue.
Also known as "newstainment".

When it comes to TV news I'm limited to CNN, Fox, MSNBC and local affiliates of the original "big 3" networks. I usually end up switching back and forth between CNN and MSNBC to minimize commercial breaks. You can't listen to either one for more than 20 minutes before they start repeating interviews / things already said. It's not the most efficient way to get news.

The best news is had online, I rely on Twitter, and subscribe to stuff like The Intercept, Democracy Today, The Nation, and Foreign Affairs, as well as read a smattering of NY Times, the Guardian, and the Washington Post. And of course, The Onion. Because why not.

The danger with Twitter or FB as news sources is you tend to listen to your own bubble, so I try to break out and see what conservative media is saying now and then, but it's usually too ugly to bear. Unfortunately my bullshit detector goes off pretty often with liberal media too. Ultimately you only get a sense of the truth by comparing and contrasting a number of sources, and learning to recognize histrionics and pandering.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
27-04-2017, 06:47 PM
(21-04-2017 11:01 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  All in all, I find more useful information in reading books.

You mean eBooks, of course.

The ones that Amazon automatically updates for you, every time you walk into an active WiFi zone with your Kindle. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
27-04-2017, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 08:21 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-04-2017 06:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 11:01 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  All in all, I find more useful information in reading books.

You mean eBooks, of course.

I have about 1000 actual books in my library, seven bookcases full. My wife has eleven bookcases full. That doesn't even include the books we have on our Kindles, which we started collecting after we ran out of room in our bookcases. I'm glad we collected so many, since they will provide my chief occupation now that I am retired. I have already read 180 books in less than two years.

Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
21-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Associated Press is a good news source.

No
22-05-2017, 07:13 AM
I like Reuters. I have one of the channels running on TV, CNN most often, but I do throw in the others. But that's just to alert me if something new happens, which I then research online. I consider CNN to give actual news 10% of the time, the rest is just babble, and the others are worse.

I would like a TV channel that covers world news and economic news, and that is what CNN used to do.

No more, they are all mostly US drivel. But I remember much the same during the Nixon scandal. Of course back then you didn't have cable news. Still, all the news back then was about Nixon, and it was rather divided.

The news issue is indicative of a huge scandal and divide, but it's nothing new, really. Been there, done that before.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-05-2017, 07:34 AM
My go-to for 'just the facts' reporting:

NPR
Al Jazeera
Reuters
BBC
AP

I know Fox news is heavily biased and CNN I take with a grain of salt.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]