Fracking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Fracking
Ideally, I could cross-post this with the science section, but the artcile I am going to post is more cloesly related to the politics of the issue so I'll just open the thread here.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/ch...38861.html

We can of course discuss the merits of both the article and fracking, but the article is really quite infuriating. These kids don't have an actual say in the matter, but this gag order may prevet them from ever discussing fracking. And I don't mean until they are 18 either.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 09:51 AM by ridethespiral.)
RE: Fracking
(07-08-2013 09:00 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ideally, I could cross-post this with the science section, but the artcile I am going to post is more cloesly related to the politics of the issue so I'll just open the thread here.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/ch...38861.html

We can of course discuss the merits of both the article and fracking, but the article is really quite infuriating. These kids don't have an actual say in the matter, but this gag order may prevet them from ever discussing fracking. And I don't mean until they are 18 either.

Makes me sick man. The Fraking is awful for people, and the environment and that makes me sick. The miss-information makes me sick. The way big oil & gas can toss people around in court with their attorney armadas on retainer and their virtually bottomless money pits makes me sicker.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2013, 09:55 AM
That's the problem with too much freedom, people can be led to agree on anything and give away their rights as if it were candy...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
(07-08-2013 09:55 AM)nach_in Wrote:  That's the problem with too much freedom, people can be led to agree on anything and give away their rights as if it were candy...

Expensive candy worth $750,000!!!

I'd shut the fuck up about some fracking too if someone gave me $750,000!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-08-2013, 11:31 AM
(07-08-2013 11:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 09:55 AM)nach_in Wrote:  That's the problem with too much freedom, people can be led to agree on anything and give away their rights as if it were candy...

$750,000 is really jack shit when push comes to shove...The house/property is probably worth more than half that, I dunno if they had live stock or anything like that but if so they are all dead by this point. If even one of them gets real sick or develops cancer as is known to happen in cases of frak-chem exposure the remaining funds could be easily spent on treatment.

It is just enough for them to move away.

07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't know of any connections to adverse health effects from exposure to fracking materials. Especially cancer.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
(07-08-2013 11:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know of any connections to adverse health effects from exposure to fracking materials. Especially cancer.

This is sarcasm right? Fracking releases large amounts of radon, the wells leak harmful methane gas laced with other impurities before and after the drilling process. The gas companies burn impurities off on site releasing them into the air. Older wells have been known to crack and leak toxic fracking slurry into the water table.

07-08-2013, 11:46 AM
(07-08-2013 11:41 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 11:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know of any connections to adverse health effects from exposure to fracking materials. Especially cancer.

This is sarcasm right? Fracking releases large amounts of radon, the wells leak harmful methane gas laced with other impurities before and after the drilling process. The gas companies burn impurities off on site releasing them into the air. Older wells have been known to crack and leak toxic fracking slurry into the water table.

Let me just start off with 2 things. 1, no, that was not sarcasm and 2, I am not a fan of fracking the majority of the time

Radon gas is a natrual hazard. It is more problematic in some areas over others. An earthquake could release it too.

Methane is an issue I am aware of, but it isn't a carcinogen but can make water undrinkable.

I don't know what to say about "other impurities" because drilling a well for water could do the same thing (water wells are also often fracked in areas so as to increase pore space)

Conamination of wells is an issue, but this is an issue because of surface run-off too.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
(07-08-2013 11:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

exactly my point. People is stupid and give away fundamental rights for some cash, a lot of cash yes, but those fundamental rights are there to serve as the foundation for society. Give that away and everything starts to unravel... And people are too stupid to know better than to accept the immediate reward, that's why there must be some restrictions to the waiverability of rights.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-08-2013, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 12:17 PM by ridethespiral.)
(07-08-2013 11:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Let me just start off with 2 things. 1, no, that was not sarcasm and 2, I am not a fan of fracking the majority of the time

I'm confused man, you seem to be defending the practice.

(07-08-2013 11:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Radon gas is a natrual hazard. It is more problematic in some areas over others. An earthquake could release it too.

And an earthquake generated tsunami could have destroyed Hiroshima did that make it okay to nuke it?

(07-08-2013 11:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Methane is an issue I am aware of, but it isn't a carcinogen but can make water undrinkable.

Aside from that methane is a greenhouse gas 20x more potent than CO2. (http://epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemission.../ch4.html)

(07-08-2013 11:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know what to say about "other impurities" because drilling a well for water could do the same thing (water wells are also often fracked in areas so as to increase pore space)

'Other Impurities' meaning shit fuck tons of toxic gases:

Natural gas production there has been linked to emissions of benzene, formaldehyde, carbon disulfide, ethane, toluene, and xylene. Short-term exposure to these compounds may produce nausea, dizziness, and respiratory problems, while long-term exposure is linked to brain tumors, leukemia, breast cancer, and other serious illnesses.

This stuff is heavier than air and does not disperse easily. People have watched sheep and cattle die en mass due to dense toxic gas clouds hanging over their land. Women are miscarrying. It's not a joke.

(07-08-2013 11:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Conamination of wells is an issue, but this is an issue because of surface run-off too.

It's a huge issue when you live in a rural location and suddenly you are without potable water in you home.

The fracking fluid—also called slickwater—typically contains compounds such as diesel fuel, formaldehyde, acids, and other potentially toxic chemicals. Once the fluid is returned to the surface, it may also carry salts, chlorides, heavy minerals, and radioactive materials released from the rock during the fracturing process.5
http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/justice/hs.xsl/14567.htm

Whatever toxic shit doesn't come out of the gas well is capped off with a layer of concrete and never examined or maintained again. Surveys show that a large number of older wells are already leaking unchecked.

We don't even know exactly what kinds of toxic shit they are using:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...wastewater

BTW it's not like these people get anything. The vast majority of landowners do not own the rights to the gas/oil under their lands. Fraking makes it possible to extract oil/gas from nearby property causing the land owner tremendous risk and inconvenience and offering no reward.