Freaky Things That Happen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2016, 06:14 AM
RE: Freaky Things That Happen
(04-06-2016 04:11 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 09:08 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Do you have freaky things that happen. Weird stuff that doesn't seem normal or natural but still happen or even keep happening?

One of the weird things that happens very frequently to me is when I look at the clock it has multiples of the same number. Like 2:22 or 5:55. This happens a lot and some days 5 or 6 times in a day. Freaky!

"Freaky" is just a feeling. There is no such thing as magic or "boogie men" or anything supernatural. If you have something that freaks you out, it is merely a false perception on your part. Not knowing why or how something happen does not make anything super natural real.

Back when I was a kid I was very superstitious about everything. Was scared of night time shadows, even "saw" dead relatives in my sleep standing at the foot of my bed. Once had an "outer body" experience. Those events are not real, they are merely false perceptions due to all sorts of natural stresses combined with my own lack of knowledge of how our brains work and how easily we can allow our false perceptions to fool us to them feeling real.

One of the most fucking annoying superstitions I have seen over the years are from smokers. I smoke too. But I have had co workers swear to me, which is fucking bullshit, that if they attempt to smoke it always causes the phone to ring or a costumer to walk in.

Total fucking bullshit. It is selection bias and sample rate error. The only notice the times they get interrupted and ignore all the times they don't. And of course when you are at work you will get interrupted because you are a fucking business.

I get freaked out by sudden shocking things even today. But now that I am much wiser as to human biology and how my brain works, I don't gap fill with bullshit superstitions. If I get freaked out, I take a step back and say "nope, that was all in my head, nothing supernatural happened".

Now, with people who suffer mental illness, those "freaky" feelings can be compound that lack of knowledge and magnify it even worse. If you are "seeing things" or "hearing" things that really are not there, that is a sign of some sort of brain disorder or chemical/neurological problem.

But trust me, there still is nothing magic about life or super natural about life.

Well that's good, since I didn't state there was anything woo-like or superstitious about the freaky things, just that they freaked me out.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
04-06-2016, 06:16 AM
(04-06-2016 04:56 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  How`s this for freaky...

When I was 13 I broke my leg, it got complicated and it needed an operation , was admitted in the hospital on November 13th, operated on after 13 days , then I was released from the hospital on January 13th ,Ilizarov apparatus that I was wearing was removed from my leg on June 13th , and the whole procedure left 13 scars on my leg.

Oh, yeah, did I mention that I was born on May 13th.

Yep, that's the kind of thing that woo'ers attach a huge significance to. Pretty cool.

04-06-2016, 07:22 AM
(04-06-2016 06:16 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 04:56 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  How`s this for freaky...

When I was 13 I broke my leg, it got complicated and it needed an operation , was admitted in the hospital on November 13th, operated on after 13 days , then I was released from the hospital on January 13th ,Ilizarov apparatus that I was wearing was removed from my leg on June 13th , and the whole procedure left 13 scars on my leg.

Oh, yeah, did I mention that I was born on May 13th.

Yep, that's the kind of thing that woo'ers attach a huge significance to. Pretty cool.

Fun fact, the number 13 has such a bad reputation, that some buildings skip it entirely on elevators.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
04-06-2016, 08:08 AM
(04-06-2016 07:22 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 06:16 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yep, that's the kind of thing that woo'ers attach a huge significance to. Pretty cool.

Fun fact, the number 13 has such a bad reputation, that some buildings skip it entirely on elevators.

I know, such silliness. Actually, it's lucky in many cultures.

WIKI***

"Lucky 13[edit]

See also: Lucky Thirteen (disambiguation)

In Italy, 13 is considered a lucky number.[16] The expression fare tredici ("to do 13") means hit the jackpot. 17 is considered an unlucky number instead.

Music[edit]

American born Horror-Punk singer and musician Joseph Poole (Murderdolls) uses the name Wednesday 13 as his stage name, taking "Wednesday" from the girl Wednesday from the Addams Family and 13 from Friday the 13th.

American country-pop singer-songwriter Taylor Swift was born on December 13. She considers 13 her lucky number due to lucky events happening to her when the number appears (her first album going gold in 13 weeks, being seated at awards shows in the 13th seat, row or section). She also wears the number written on her hand at her concerts so she has it with her everywhere she goes.

The heavy metal band, Megadeth, released their 13th studio album entitled TH1RT3EN on November 1, 2011. It consists of 13 tracks including the final song "13".

Famous American country singer and songwriter Johnny Cash first released his song called "Number Thirteen".

There are 13 notes, by inclusive counting, in a full chromatic musical octave.

Track No. 12 on American heavy metal band Danzig's album 6:66 Satan's Child is called "Thirteen".

The band Big Star wrote a song called 13.

The band Teenage Fanclub named their album Thirteen after Big Star's song. The band were heavily influenced by Big Star.

American alternative rock band, Pixies recorded "Number 13 Baby" for their Doolittle LP. The lyrics to the song include the line: "Standing in her chinos shirt pulled off clean, gotta tattooed tit say number 13"

English alternative rock band Blur's sixth studio album, entitled 13 was released in 1999.

The British heavy metal pioneers Black Sabbath's latest studio album is entitled 13. It was released on 11 June 2013.

The gothic metal band Type O Negative has a song titled "Thir13teen", which is the debut track of their album Life Is Killing Me.

13 is an album from the American death metal band Six Feet Under.

Other[edit]

Colgate University also considers 13 a lucky number. They were founded in 1819 by 13 men with 13 dollars, 13 prayers and 13 articles.[17] (To this day, members of the Colgate community consider the number 13 a good omen.) In fact, the campus address is 13 Oak Drive in Hamilton, New York, and the male a cappella group is called the Colgate 13.

In the Mayan Tzolk'in calendar, trecenas mark cycles of 13-day periods. The pyramids are also set up in 9 steps divided into 7 days and 6 nights, 13 days total.

In the standard 52-card deck of playing cards there are four suits, each of 13 ranks.

In a tarot card deck, XIII is the card of Death, usually picturing the Pale horse with its rider.

A 24-hour clock uses the number 13 in the form of 13:00-13:59, to represent the fourteenth hour of its 24-hour cycle.

A baker's dozen, devil's dozen, long dozen, or long measure is 13, one more than a standard dozen."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_(number)

People are so easily led. Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
04-06-2016, 08:44 AM
(04-06-2016 05:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 05:13 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I was on the road for my job in a city about 100 miles from where I live at a McDonalds, someone comes up to me and asks if my name is John. I say, no, do I have a twin brother walking around somewhere?

The guy says "You look just like John! The same glasses, the same hair!"

Makes you think, the consideration of environmental and genetic factors that can affect how someone looks, but there are doppelgangers of ourselves out there. I thought about it and considered the odds might be in the neighborhood of 500,000 to 1 that someone would look like you. That's just a guess based on population, the odds of recognition and someone letting you know that you matched someone else's appearance.

Interesting to consider it from an evolutionary standpoint, perhaps a limited number of genes contributing to that.
Also interesting to consider it from a theological standpoint. Is god just not very original? Laugh out load

We even have doppelgangers from the past-like Nicholas Cage:

[Image: Nicolas-Cage-Doppelganger.jpg]

Gasp Those jackets are identical!
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
04-06-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm freakishly good at running into funeral processions when I'm driving somewhere in a hurry.

My son recently had our library put a movie on hold for him, and coincidentally a kid in another town nearby with the exact same first and last names as my son put the exact same movie on hold, the exact same week. And it wasn't a particularly new or popular movie.

Oh, and I have had a bunch of people in Massachusetts convinced that we've met before or that they know my sister, so I have a doppelgänger here.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I've had the doppelganger thing too. Some drunk girl once hugged and kissed me and said "why didn't you tell me you were coming back early?" Apparently I looked like her boyfriend. Of course she was drunk, it was dark, and she obviously wanted badly to see him. No telling how strong the resemblance really was.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
04-06-2016, 10:27 AM
(04-06-2016 08:08 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
Quote:There are 13 notes, by inclusive counting, in a full chromatic musical octave.

Wiki has this one wrong. There are twelve notes and the octave of the root, which is not a thirteenth note.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-06-2016, 10:29 AM
(04-06-2016 09:52 AM)julep Wrote:  I'm freakishly good at running into funeral processions when I'm driving somewhere in a hurry.

My son recently had our library put a movie on hold for him, and coincidentally a kid in another town nearby with the exact same first and last names as my son put the exact same movie on hold, the exact same week. And it wasn't a particularly new or popular movie.

Oh, and I have had a bunch of people in Massachusetts convinced that we've met before or that they know my sister, so I have a doppelgänger here.

I have had experience with the doppelganger thing two times 30yrs apart.

When I was a teen in KC one summer everyone seemed to be thinking I was this girl that lived in the downtown area (I lived in the country just outside of city limits). It was really weird. People would shout at me from across the mall or street thinking I was her when I went into town. I never met her but heard a lot about her. I was also told our names were similar.

Thirty years later, I'm talking to my childhood friend and I ask about her cockatoo, Fred. Previously, he was always obsessed with me (loved me for some reason even though the feeling was not mutual, I was afraid of him because he often bit people, even his owners) and would try to be on or near me whenever I visited. He kept saying "love Heatheness" (inserted handle name for mine, obviously) over and over the whole time I was there even for hours on end. He got loose once and flew to me to land on my very preggo belly and would not let anyone take him off, we had to trick him to get him off me. I was nearly in tears. Sad

Anyway, I asked about him, as I hadn't heard him in the background and she said he had a new place. She said, you won't believe this but:

She went into the local bank in the small town she lives in a few miles from KC and she thought she was seeing things. There I was behind the teller counter cashing someone's check. She blinked several time but the woman still looked just like me. Even talked like me. She thought she was having a stroke or something. She introduced herself and told her of my likeness. The woman said, really, did I live in KC when you guys were in High School because people kept telling me I looked like someone from there that lived out in the county. My friend could hardly speak. She said yes we did and we had also heard of someone who looked like me but we didn't really believe it much. My friend said it was the weirdest thing.

They became friends and when she visited my friends house some weeks later, Fred went ballistic and wanted to get to her, called her my name and she said, "How does he know my name?" Her name is my name and middle name together. She wasn't afraid of him and they became best pals. My friend wound up giving him to her because he'd get so morose when she left she feared he'd get sick. They are both very happy about the new arrangement.

Now, she and I went to HS in the same town. My friend's bird thinks we're the same person. We are the same age and everyone thinks we look identical and speak identically. We had the same career (teller in a bank). We have the same name, mine is broke into two names, while hers is combined but she has no middle name.

Now that is some doppelganger shit, huh?

[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
04-06-2016, 10:40 AM
This most likely comes down to confirmation bias, but I when I look on my phone to check the time, I see 9:11 very frequently.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post