Freaky Things That Happen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2016, 10:47 AM
RE: Freaky Things That Happen
(04-06-2016 10:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  This most likely comes down to confirmation bias, but I when I look on my phone to check the time, I see 9:11 very frequently.

Yeah, I think I might be subconsciously trying to fulfill a prophecy, so to speak, when I look at the clock and get the repeated numbers. I have a very accurate internal clock and so I assume my mind knows, to a degree, when the next time match is about to happen and prods me to look at the clock. Or some such thing.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
04-06-2016, 10:52 AM
(04-06-2016 10:29 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 09:52 AM)julep Wrote:  I'm freakishly good at running into funeral processions when I'm driving somewhere in a hurry.

My son recently had our library put a movie on hold for him, and coincidentally a kid in another town nearby with the exact same first and last names as my son put the exact same movie on hold, the exact same week. And it wasn't a particularly new or popular movie.

Oh, and I have had a bunch of people in Massachusetts convinced that we've met before or that they know my sister, so I have a doppelgänger here.

I have had experience with the doppelganger thing two times 30yrs apart.

When I was a teen in KC one summer everyone seemed to be thinking I was this girl that lived in the downtown area (I lived in the country just outside of city limits). It was really weird. People would shout at me from across the mall or street thinking I was her when I went into town. I never met her but heard a lot about her. I was also told our names were similar.

Thirty years later, I'm talking to my childhood friend and I ask about her cockatoo, Fred. Previously, he was always obsessed with me (loved me for some reason even though the feeling was not mutual, I was afraid of him because he often bit people, even his owners) and would try to be on or near me whenever I visited. He kept saying "love Heatheness" (inserted handle name for mine, obviously) over and over the whole time I was there even for hours on end. He got loose once and flew to me to land on my very preggo belly and would not let anyone take him off, we had to trick him to get him off me. I was nearly in tears. Sad

Anyway, I asked about him, as I hadn't heard him in the background and she said he had a new place. She said, you won't believe this but:

She went into the local bank in the small town she lives in a few miles from KC and she thought she was seeing things. There I was behind the teller counter cashing someone's check. She blinked several time but the woman still looked just like me. Even talked like me. She thought she was having a stroke or something. She introduced herself and told her of my likeness. The woman said, really, did I live in KC when you guys were in High School because people kept telling me I looked like someone from there that lived out in the county. My friend could hardly speak. She said yes we did and we had also heard of someone who looked like me but we didn't really believe it much. My friend said it was the weirdest thing.

They became friends and when she visited my friends house some weeks later, Fred went ballistic and wanted to get to her, called her my name and she said, "How does he know my name?" Her name is my name and middle name together. She wasn't afraid of him and they became best pals. My friend wound up giving him to her because he'd get so morose when she left she feared he'd get sick. They are both very happy about the new arrangement.

Now, she and I went to HS in the same town. My friend's bird thinks we're the same person. We are the same age and everyone thinks we look identical and speak identically. We had the same career (teller in a bank). We have the same name, mine is broke into two names, while hers is combined but she has no middle name.

Now that is some doppelganger shit, huh?

Secret twin! Now, which of you is the evil twin and which is the good?

Just kidding, but I am always fascinated by the stories about identical twins separated at birth who turn out to have crazy amounts of random stuff in common.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
04-06-2016, 11:07 AM
(04-06-2016 10:52 AM)julep Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 10:29 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I have had experience with the doppelganger thing two times 30yrs apart.

When I was a teen in KC one summer everyone seemed to be thinking I was this girl that lived in the downtown area (I lived in the country just outside of city limits). It was really weird. People would shout at me from across the mall or street thinking I was her when I went into town. I never met her but heard a lot about her. I was also told our names were similar.

Thirty years later, I'm talking to my childhood friend and I ask about her cockatoo, Fred. Previously, he was always obsessed with me (loved me for some reason even though the feeling was not mutual, I was afraid of him because he often bit people, even his owners) and would try to be on or near me whenever I visited. He kept saying "love Heatheness" (inserted handle name for mine, obviously) over and over the whole time I was there even for hours on end. He got loose once and flew to me to land on my very preggo belly and would not let anyone take him off, we had to trick him to get him off me. I was nearly in tears. Sad

Anyway, I asked about him, as I hadn't heard him in the background and she said he had a new place. She said, you won't believe this but:

She went into the local bank in the small town she lives in a few miles from KC and she thought she was seeing things. There I was behind the teller counter cashing someone's check. She blinked several time but the woman still looked just like me. Even talked like me. She thought she was having a stroke or something. She introduced herself and told her of my likeness. The woman said, really, did I live in KC when you guys were in High School because people kept telling me I looked like someone from there that lived out in the county. My friend could hardly speak. She said yes we did and we had also heard of someone who looked like me but we didn't really believe it much. My friend said it was the weirdest thing.

They became friends and when she visited my friends house some weeks later, Fred went ballistic and wanted to get to her, called her my name and she said, "How does he know my name?" Her name is my name and middle name together. She wasn't afraid of him and they became best pals. My friend wound up giving him to her because he'd get so morose when she left she feared he'd get sick. They are both very happy about the new arrangement.

Now, she and I went to HS in the same town. My friend's bird thinks we're the same person. We are the same age and everyone thinks we look identical and speak identically. We had the same career (teller in a bank). We have the same name, mine is broke into two names, while hers is combined but she has no middle name.

Now that is some doppelganger shit, huh?

Secret twin! Now, which of you is the evil twin and which is the good?

Just kidding, but I am always fascinated by the stories about identical twins separated at birth who turn out to have crazy amounts of random stuff in common.

Yeah, it's weird. Never met her but would be interested to know if my dad knew her mom. I look a lot like him. lol

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
04-06-2016, 11:48 AM
(03-06-2016 11:46 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Maybe not so freaky, but one time I kept "predicting" that an episode of The Simpsons was going to be on after I was thinking about the episode. It was always a different episode too.

That happens to me all the time. I'll think of a particular episode of a show that I haven't seen or thought of in awhile, and then I'll be flipping through channels and that episode is airing.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
04-06-2016, 11:50 AM
"Freaky" = coincidence. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I didn't see anyone here appealing to woo as an explanation.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-06-2016, 04:14 PM
(04-06-2016 10:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  This most likely comes down to confirmation bias, but I when I look on my phone to check the time, I see 9:11 very frequently.

Back when I used to travel for business, I used to see .357 a lot.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-06-2016, 04:18 PM
All this 13 stuff...I passed my Qualifiers on Friday the 13th and was allowed to begin my dissertation. Mention it every time my students freak out at a test on Friday the 13th.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
04-06-2016, 05:50 PM
The number 13 doesn't bother me at all. I did notice when I was younger that good things happened to me on the 13th, about 13 times in my life. Tongue Not straining probability much in my neighborhood. Also the last 2 digits of my SSN are 13.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
04-06-2016, 06:16 PM
(04-06-2016 04:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

Back when I used to travel for business, I used to see .357 a lot.

Play too much Fallout?