Freddy Gray trial: Cop Not Guilty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Freddy Gray trial: Cop Not Guilty
For Fucks Sake

Latest Freddy Gray Case: Cop Not Guilty

Quote:Baltimore, Maryland (CNN) — Baltimore police Officer Edward Nero was found not guilty of all charges Monday in connection with the death of Freddie Gray, Judge Barry Williams ruled Monday after a bench trial.

Nero, one of six officers charged and the second to be tried in the Gray case, was accused of second-degree intentional assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.

The verdict brings perhaps only a sliver of resolution to a city that seethed with unrest over the death last year of the 25-year-old prisoner. Four more officers' trials are slated to take place.

Why fucking bother with the next four trials?

The judge sounds like a rampaging idiot:
Quote:"You are saying an arrest without probable cause is a misconduct-in-office charge -- is a crime?" the judge asked. "So you say if you arrest someone without probable cause, it's a crime?"

Because apparently, that Constitution and Bill of Rights are just suggestions.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 10:20 AM
RE: Freddy Gray trial: Cop Not Guilty
(23-05-2016 09:37 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The judge sounds like a rampaging idiot:
Quote:"You are saying an arrest without probable cause is a misconduct-in-office charge -- is a crime?" the judge asked. "So you say if you arrest someone without probable cause, it's a crime?"

Because apparently, that Constitution and Bill of Rights are just suggestions.

The judge is right. Arrest does require probable cause, but if no probable cause can later be shown it is not considered a criminal act. Holding a person past this determination, however is a crime (false imprisonment). The Constitution (Fourth Amendment) only states that a WARRANT for arrest can only be issued if there is probable cause. But a casual encounter with a civilian on the street by a police officer only requires the cop's own judgment that there is probable cause to make an arrest, whether this is later proved valid or not.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Apparently the judicial system in fucking Baltimore thinks that Mr. Gray committed suicide in that van.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
23-05-2016, 01:14 PM
(23-05-2016 11:02 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Apparently the judicial system in fucking Baltimore thinks that Mr. Gray committed suicide in that van.
Or, maybe that the prosecution failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt?

Oh crap!
23-05-2016, 01:53 PM
(23-05-2016 01:14 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 11:02 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Apparently the judicial system in fucking Baltimore thinks that Mr. Gray committed suicide in that van.
Or, maybe that the prosecution failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt?

Oh crap!

Are you familiar with the case?

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
23-05-2016, 02:32 PM
(23-05-2016 01:53 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 01:14 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Or, maybe that the prosecution failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt?

Oh crap!

No, but then again, neither are you or I or anyone else outside of that courtroom.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-05-2016, 02:34 PM
It's easy to decide somebody's guilty because that's how you feel about it.....

It's a whole lot harder to decide somebody's guilty if they confound you with facts..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-05-2016, 06:46 AM
(23-05-2016 01:53 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 01:14 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Or, maybe that the prosecution failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt?

Oh crap!

I am. I think jabeady's comment is spot on. They failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Cop and his lawyer took a real chance going with a bench trial but I guess they figured it was their best chance at some standard of objectivity. I am a bit surprised by the verdict, though.

As for the judge - he's also not wrong. The Bill of Rights does not establish criminal statutes. It merely presents limits by the state which, when violated, means the defendant goes free. The US Government has gone further and past statutes that create civil liability under which citizens can sue. This was done as part of the Civil Rights legislation back in the 60s for what I think are obvious reasons. But, I'm not aware that anyone has gone to the next step and made it a criminal act.

As for Freddie Gray's death, I think the cops are responsible for what happened to him but it seems increasingly unlikely anyone is going to be convicted.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-05-2016, 07:14 AM
(23-05-2016 02:32 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No, but then again, neither are you or I or anyone else outside of that courtroom.

The cops in question did the following:

Arrested a man for reasons that were questionable at best.

Restrained the arrestee in such a way that he could not control his own movements or protect himself from harm.

Placed the arrestee in a metal vehicle without securing him.

Deliberately drove said metal vehicle in such a way as to cause the arrestee to be thrown around the metal vehicle.

Being restrained as noted, the arrestee was unable to protect himself and suffered fatal injuries as a direct result of the actions of the law enforcement officers.

The act of driving a vehicle unsafely and in such a manner as to cause harm to an arrestee was well known, well documented and occurred so often as to have a name amongst the law enforcement officers.

Before this case there were multiple documented incidents involving injury, permanent disability and death. These incidents were settled in civil court.

The administration of the city and the police department were well aware of both past incidents and the continuation of this procedure.

They knew what they were doing could injure, cripple or kill that man when they did it. They did it anyway, then lied about it afterwards.

---

Given that information, I think I have enough of an understanding of the case to make a personal judgment/opinion on it.

24-05-2016, 09:33 AM
(24-05-2016 07:14 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 02:32 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No, but then again, neither are you or I or anyone else outside of that courtroom.

The cops in question did the following:

Arrested a man for reasons that were questionable at best.

Restrained the arrestee in such a way that he could not control his own movements or protect himself from harm.

Placed the arrestee in a metal vehicle without securing him.

Deliberately drove said metal vehicle in such a way as to cause the arrestee to be thrown around the metal vehicle.

Being restrained as noted, the arrestee was unable to protect himself and suffered fatal injuries as a direct result of the actions of the law enforcement officers.

The act of driving a vehicle unsafely and in such a manner as to cause harm to an arrestee was well known, well documented and occurred so often as to have a name amongst the law enforcement officers.

Before this case there were multiple documented incidents involving injury, permanent disability and death. These incidents were settled in civil court.

The administration of the city and the police department were well aware of both past incidents and the continuation of this procedure.

They knew what they were doing could injure, cripple or kill that man when they did it. They did it anyway, then lied about it afterwards.

---

Given that information, I think I have enough of an understanding of the case to make a personal judgment/opinion on it.

I think that's about what happened too. But, that opinion is based on media reports that may not be accurate and are certainly not evidence in any legal sense.

I'd love to see the transcript from the trial. Did the DA just blow the case? I have no idea.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post