Free American women choosing Islam.... huh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Free American women choosing Islam.... huh?
This isn't the theocracy of the middle east, where women are born into Islam and spiritually shackled until they die giving birth to their 15th child. There are women in America (and a lot of whom reside in my campus neighborhood) who are willfully choosing a Muslim lifestyle. Why, when presented with the viewpoints of an obviously misogynistic doctrine, http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/women/long.html do women agree to live their lives as "half the value of a man" and basically a disposable object to be used and discarded? If raped, a woman may be beheaded for dishonoring the family. I did 2 tours in Iraq and noticed that women were treated roughly the same as donkeys. Once I saw a Ring Wraith (aka Nazgul, aka penguin, aka muslim woman) carrying a 100 pound bale of whatever plant she was gathering on her back while the donkey walked burdenless beside her. Male children are granted more rights than women and treat the adult women like an abusive husband.

This is akin to if I devoted my life to achieving black supremacy (I'm white). I don't see the point in taking up the cause to subjugate your own gender. But then I also don't understand why christian women would adhere to a book where a masculine creator states that they were the cause of all evil, but I guess modern christian dogma isn't as radical or as literal to their texts as islam.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM

RE: Free American women choosing Islam.... huh?
A buddy of mine some years ago read of a Pedophile in our area that had murdered his victim so as not to be caught as a repeat offender, and after verdict was facing a possible death sentence. He said, as he was all for the sentence of death, which the man did later receive; some people ask to be killed.

I would offer the observation in the case of the OP, just because common sense, self respect, self esteem and the feminist movement all conspire or inspire, depending on who you're talking to, women to seek their own path and achieve their highest potential, does not mean all women agree they're worth that.Some women ask/want to be slaves.

The first amendment guarantee's they're entitled to make that religious choice that enslaves them. Because the first amendment doesn't guarantee they have to know they're worth more than that.
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I too wonder how any woman could be a part of any patriarchal religion. The degradation/control of women is one of the primary reasons that I rejected religion and god(s).

This post reminds me of Mormon women. I used to have a roommate who is Mormon, and she would dress up in a skirt and blouse every Sunday to go to church. Now, I didn't think that this was weird simply because she would also dress up to go to school. However, I eventually found out that Mormon women are required to wear a skirt/dress to church; they are not allowed to wear pants. (Which is completely ridiculous when you live in Canada! You'll freeze your legs off in the winter!). I'm baffled that there are still restrictions on dress being imposed on women by men in secular countries.

The only explanations that I have for women allowing this are:

1. They are indoctrinated into the religion from infancy. They must be raised to believe that they are in some way inferior to men, or they simply wouldn't tolerate this sort of treatment.

2. Especially in Muslim and Mormon families (and from what I hear, some extreme Evangelical families) there is always the danger of being ostracized. Women need to decide whether their individual autonomy is worth being cut off from their family, friends, and whole community. I hate that this is the case. Nobody should be in this sort of situation.

Sadly, I think women are theists for the same reason that there are a lot of moderate theists. They simply don't read their book. And preachers don't read the passages about women being raped, sold, stoned, butchered, oppressed, labelled whores, being blamed for human misery/suffering, being unclean for being pregnant/giving birth (being twice as unclean if they have the nerve to give birth to a girl instead of a boy), having no opinion until their father/husband has approved, and being a servant to their father/husband, etc, etc. Perhaps if people were generally better-educated about their religion, they would think twice about following it.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
09-11-2010, 01:38 AM
(08-11-2010 09:42 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Perhaps if people were generally better-educated about their religion, they would think twice about following it.

I agree. Why should religious dogmas remain unchallenged and allowed to ruin people's lives?
09-11-2010, 06:17 AM

But of course, the clergy seeks to maintain ignorance within their congregations. It is ignorance that is at fault, here, and it's always been a mainstay in the weaponry of religion. It goes back to the very beginning - eating from the tree of knowledge was the original sin, after all!
10-11-2010, 02:07 AM
That is why we need the schools to do the educating. Yeah, I know getting it functioning in schools will be difficult.

I think I am up for the understatement of the year award.
10-11-2010, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2010 03:16 AM by MasterRottweiler.)
(08-11-2010 07:58 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This isn't the theocracy of the middle east, where women are born into Islam and spiritually shackled until they die giving birth to their 15th child. There are women in America (and a lot of whom reside in my campus neighborhood) who are willfully choosing a Muslim lifestyle. Why, when presented with the viewpoints of an obviously misogynistic doctrine, http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/women/long.html do women agree to live their lives as "half the value of a man" and basically a disposable object to be used and discarded? If raped, a woman may be beheaded for dishonoring the family. I did 2 tours in Iraq and noticed that women were treated roughly the same as donkeys. Once I saw a Ring Wraith (aka Nazgul, aka penguin, aka muslim woman) carrying a 100 pound bale of whatever plant she was gathering on her back while the donkey walked burdenless beside her. Male children are granted more rights than women and treat the adult women like an abusive husband.

This is akin to if I devoted my life to achieving black supremacy (I'm white). I don't see the point in taking up the cause to subjugate your own gender. But then I also don't understand why christian women would adhere to a book where a masculine creator states that they were the cause of all evil, but I guess modern christian dogma isn't as radical or as literal to their texts as islam.

Well, indeed is outrageous to see this kind of subjugation no matter which religion is followed, but I dont think this is exclusive of muslim cultures, in latin america, specifically in Mexico where catholicism is the number one religion, most catholics are mysoginistic as well, Saint Agustine of Hippo was a clear example of mysoginistic ideas within catholicism, one of his most infamous quotes was; “Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact, be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men...” There are mysoginistic verses within the judeo-christian bible as well and there are a lot of judeo-christian people who follow this almost to the letter. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2010, 02:24 AM
(10-11-2010 03:13 AM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  Saint Agustine of Hippo was a clear example of mysoginistic ideas within catholicism, one of his most infamous quotes was; “Women should not be enlightened or educated in any way. They should, in fact, be segregated as they are the cause of hideous and involuntary erections in holy men...”

I guess the catholic church sees that it is better for priests to molest alter boys than to lust after a women of there own age.
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM

There are a number of reasons as to why people convert to Islam, but in regards to females specifically, let's not forget that many of these women convert because of their relationship counterpart and very rarely for other reasons.

A big issue I find with women on subjects like this is their naivety into somehow connecting
Middle East/India = Mystical = true

For example, if a man walks upto you in the street in Washington DC and claims that you will receive good fortune, you think nothing of it, if however a poor man in Tunisia tells you, then suddenly 'WOW, HOW AMAZING!'
another example is how
wearing a turban and calling yourself 'guru or mystic etc etc, has suddenly given you far more 'credibility' than a woman named claire from Barnsley when it comes to 'reading your palm'

Women in the west seem to have a habit of buying into absurdities such as 'having a 6th sense, womens intuition' and a general belief that women have a hidden power and this connected with the Middle east 'its mystical, therefor credible' construct generates alot of the issue at hand.
11-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Why Are So Many Woman Converting To Islam

CONVERT TO ISLAM - why islam appel to western women (Video)

(* Is there a code that would allow the You Tube player mode to appear in a post?)

The homepage of Ibn Q. al-Rassooli
- an Iraqi exile committed to warning the world of the dangers of Islam