Free Healthcare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Free Healthcare
I would like to read more on how having a state owned healthcare system that is paid through taxation as compared to an insurance plan for individuals affects the prices of treatment, like some people have stated. (competitively maybe?)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2013, 02:42 AM
(28-08-2013 04:31 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 04:12 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  And I still don't understand why people have to pay for college there. I always hear people on American tv shows being all "oh, I have no money for college" and it makes me wonder how people can put up with that.

Here it's like, "No money for college? That's alright, it's free! You're poor and have no place to live in in order to study? Here, have this free apartment. What? You don't even have money for food? You can use the free restaurant. Did I mention you have free access to the gym and can have free or ridiculously cheap classes on anything you like such as dancing, singing, theater, foreign languages and sports?"

And of course, when you are a university student, almost all tickets are half the normal price for you. Museums are free. And all that.

where do you live?

Greece.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
29-08-2013, 04:24 AM
(28-08-2013 01:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  ...
The idea that someone who has cancer should be left to die if they can't afford treatment is abhorrent to me.

The US is Darwinian... survival of the fittest (richest).

Rolleyes

29-08-2013, 04:27 AM
(29-08-2013 02:42 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 04:31 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  where do you live?

Greece.

That explains it.

You guys invented civilisation.

btw, how's the economy going over there right now?

Dodgy

29-08-2013, 05:09 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
29-08-2013, 06:32 AM
(29-08-2013 04:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-08-2013 02:42 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Greece.

That explains it.

You guys invented civilisation.

btw, how's the economy going over there right now?

Dodgy

Haha, it actually explains nothing Big Grin
Modern Greeks only know how to brag about their ancient civilization, when they have zero culture. A very good example of that is that we have neo-nazis in our parliament who do not hesitate to praise Hitler and physically attack immigrants. People voted for them.

The economy keeps descending and I personally can't see it going up anytime soon.
It makes me wonder, we do have free healthcare and we did pay taxes but a great amount of the taxes we paid and still pay never goes where it's supposed to. I wonder how we came to ensure such rights.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
29-08-2013, 07:36 AM
The cost of healthcare delivery in all single-payer systems is lower than in private systems. See this.

The U.S. system is a mishmash of private interests that benefit a very few financially at the expense of everyone else. The idea that it used to be better before the government started 'interfering' is absurd. The idea that a government can't deliver healthcare at a competitive cost is disproved by all of the single-payer systems in the Western democracies, Taiwan, and Japan.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
29-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Many years ago in Florence Italy my tonsils became infected. I inquired at the pensione where I was staying about what I could do. I was directed to a small clinic down the street and there with my poor Italian and the doctors poor english we got through the examination and I was prescribed some antibiotics which cured my immediate problem. The drugs cost something significant like $5 or whatever that was in Lire at the time (this was 1967 so $5 was significant) but that was all I had to pay. It was a very early lesson in the benefits of single payer health care.

My father in law who was very much a capitalist knew what was a flaw in american capitalism and we discussed it on occasion. The desire of those in charge to suck as much money as they could out of the immediate as opposed to the future good of the company or the country did the long term interests of the company and the country harm.

We in the US are facing a profit motivated health care system that harms us all. It has paid representatives in almost all governmental agencies. It will do all it can to continue to make money on our medical needs. One only need to watch a few hours of television daily to see multiple adds for various chemicals which will improve your life to know that there are those out there who want to make money off of your potential problems.

I do not begrudge the money that health care providers make, they have gone through years of training and have often the responsibility for making decisions that can cost another humans life. It is the literal bloodsuckers that chose to administer the US health care system in a fashion that costs human life and the public much money that I would condemn.

We all (in the US) should demand single payer and we should demand it now.
29-08-2013, 12:28 PM
(29-08-2013 07:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  The cost of healthcare delivery in all single-payer systems is lower than in private systems. See this.

The U.S. system is a mishmash of private interests that benefit a very few financially at the expense of everyone else. The idea that it used to be better before the government started 'interfering' is absurd. The idea that a government can't deliver healthcare at a competitive cost is disproved by all of the single-payer systems in the Western democracies, Taiwan, and Japan.

Blimey Chas, are we agreeing on a political issue here?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
29-08-2013, 04:14 PM
(29-08-2013 12:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(29-08-2013 07:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  The cost of healthcare delivery in all single-payer systems is lower than in private systems. See this.

Blimey Chas, are we agreeing on a political issue here?

Yes. I'm sure if we go into the details we can find a point of disagreement. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post