Free Stanford Comp Sci Classes Online

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2011, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2011 08:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
Free Stanford Comp Sci Classes Online
Stanford University in a bold experiment in distributed education, is offering 3 of its CS classes free and online to students worldwide during the fall of 2011. Students will have access to lecture videos, lecture notes, receive regular feedback on progress, and receive answers to questions. When you successfully complete the class, you will also receive a statement of accomplishment.

These online courses are essentially the same instruction the on-campus students receive. They are very high quality and all of the instructors are renowned CS researchers. They've already started but I think you can still enroll in them. The AI and ML classes have like 150,000 students enrolled and the DB one about half that, even though the DB one is of far more practical value than the others.

Bravo Stanford!

Machine Learning

Intoduction to Artificial Intelligence

Introduction to Databases

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-10-2011, 04:46 PM
RE: Free Stanford Comp Sci Classes Online
This is pretty cool man. Thanks for sharing it. I especially like how there is no barrier to my country like most other things in the world. I have enrolled in the A.I course, but only as a basic as I do not have 4 hours to spend online at any given point in a day. Unfortunately.
This is a really cool idea, as I feel like the world would be such a better place if there was more info available for free. I would take so many classes if they were free.
I hope that if this ends up working out I can take one of the other classes as well.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Great idea, go Stanford!

But of similar ilk - iTunesU has many classes available for free from many universities, across all kinds of subjects - I don't think any of them offer completion certificates or actual credit hours, but if you're just wanting to learn, it's a great resource. I've downloaded hours upon hours of lectures, classes, and videos that I'll probably never even get to.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post
18-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi TheSixthGlass -
The iTunesU... are there a wide range of subjects? I'd seen the iTunesU but, I guess I assumed they would mainly cover Code, IT, Web design, Computer Science. Historical and scientific lecture series would be fantastic!! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-10-2011, 09:26 AM
(18-10-2011 09:22 AM)kim Wrote:  Hi TheSixthGlass -
The iTunesU... are there a wide range of subjects? I'd seen the iTunesU but, I guess I assumed they would mainly cover Code, IT, Web design, Computer Science. Historical and scientific lecture series would be fantastic!! Smile
Oh yes, subjects all across the board. Religion, history, biology, evolution, philosophy, psychology, math, science, literature, the list goes on.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 2 users Like TheSixthGlass's post