Free Tech Support

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-11-2017, 07:47 PM
RE: Free Tech Support
(05-11-2017 07:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 07:38 PM)Free Wrote:  You are correct, doing stuff with Windows manually is not for the average user. Most people are actually afraid to go poking around with things on their computer. They think they will just screw it up, and unfortunately, they often do.

The very reason I am a computer tech is because I was fearless of computers and would often screw them up. But the moment I figured out how to reinstall Windows back in the early 90s, I became absolutely fearless. My attitude was, "If I screw it up, I will just format and reinstall."

But i am old school still. Love using old commands and often trace IPs of hackers who try to break in to my network.

Trust me, more than just a few hackers were forced to reformat their computers after trying to screw with me. Most of them are script kiddies anyways, who know just enough to be dangerous to themselves, and most of them are infected with Trojans and have so many backdoors open it's hilarious.

I have had many good chats with these script kiddies ... opening a Notepad text on their screen and having a chat with them in Notepad.

I miss those good old days. Back in the 90s most hackers were honorable. These days, however, they are all scammers from either India, Russia, or China and I just wanna grab them by the throat and kick the ever lovin' shit outta them.

Hehe good times, yea that's kinda how I ended up in IT too... I remember my first lesson in static electricity after taking apart one of my dad's work computers without his knowledge. >.> I think I was like 5 at the time....

I did that with all my electric toys. Tear them all apart and build other, very strange, toys. Loved making rockets. Got in trouble for it a couple times. Blew shit up all the time. Set the house on fire once, nothing serious.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
05-11-2017, 07:52 PM
(05-11-2017 07:20 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(17-10-2017 07:58 PM)Free Wrote:  Generally the understanding is that the further down the alphabet scale the better the technology. In this case, the "n" for 802.11n is currently the most commonly used internet connectivity technology. However, the exception in this case, 802.11ac is superior as it is the 5Ghz, and it is quickly becoming common.

More on that Here and Here.

While this is true she is likely to hit the limitations of her ISP's network LONG before she hits the theoretical limits imposed by 802.11n 2.5G let alone 5G AC

True. They promise the world thinking you don't have the technology to take advantage of it. And even if you do, they bottleneck you at the ISP level and make some lame excuse about it.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
18-11-2017, 11:59 PM
(05-11-2017 07:47 PM)Free Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 07:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Hehe good times, yea that's kinda how I ended up in IT too... I remember my first lesson in static electricity after taking apart one of my dad's work computers without his knowledge. >.> I think I was like 5 at the time....

I did that with all my electric toys. Tear them all apart and build other, very strange, toys. Loved making rockets. Got in trouble for it a couple times. Blew shit up all the time. Set the house on fire once, nothing serious.

Bit of a delay, but when I was a kid we'd make Acetylene bombs.... We also made a bazooka out of some PVC pipe and a can of flammable spray and a ignition switch off a BBQ, it would fire potato's a few hundred meters! >.> I'm apparently one of those very stupid people that has no problems living a high risk lifestyle lol. Just the other day I almost got my leg cut off by a chainsaw, thankfully a bag fell in the way and got destroyed instead! I did fall in the river though, and had a couple logs bash me over the head >.> it was an eventful day lol (I was helping a neighbor clear his river of downed trees so it doesn't flood this year, last year the storms were so bad downed trees formed a dam across the river). Meh it's safer than anything I ever did on an oil rig so there's that ya?

I guess when you grow up with a dad that shoots at you and beats the living shit out of you on a daily basis you get a bit desensitized to the thought of dying or something. Idk... lol

Either way, I might kill myself but at least I'll be fucking laughing as I die. HAHA

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
22-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Hi Free,

This isn't a technical issue per sé, but I thought it might be an important issue for people who frequent this site (especially those that live in the US), and this looks like the best thread to discuss it.

There's been a lot of buzz in the last few days about the FCC's plans to roll back net neutrality, giving telecom companies the authority to dictate what users get to see, as well as how much they would pay, to access certain websites.

I'm hearing plenty of generalizations, but having a hard time finding concrete examples of how this will affect you and me. So, here I am, just looking for some honest predictions from someone on the ground. Here some of my concerns so far:
  • How will this affect most people's ability to get on and contribute to message boards like this one?
  • Is this legislation a potential threat to people who want to access scholarly journals for research, or simply for personal use?
  • Is deregulation a threat to smaller news publications and blogs, and freedom of the press in general? I like to get my news from a variety of sources, and would really hate to be stuck with USA Today and MSN.com when all is said and done.

That's just a short list. I'll try and come up with more of these as futher details of this bill come to light. Thank you for your help and anyone else who can offer some valuable input.

-Kaneda

"Affliction comes to us, not to
make us sad but sober; not to make
us sorry but wise." -H.G. Wells
24-11-2017, 08:06 PM
(22-11-2017 11:02 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Hi Free,

This isn't a technical issue per sé, but I thought it might be an important issue for people who frequent this site (especially those that live in the US), and this looks like the best thread to discuss it.

There's been a lot of buzz in the last few days about the FCC's plans to roll back net neutrality, giving telecom companies the authority to dictate what users get to see, as well as how much they would pay, to access certain websites.

I'm hearing plenty of generalizations, but having a hard time finding concrete examples of how this will affect you and me. So, here I am, just looking for some honest predictions from someone on the ground. Here some of my concerns so far:
  • How will this affect most people's ability to get on and contribute to message boards like this one?
  • Is this legislation a potential threat to people who want to access scholarly journals for research, or simply for personal use?
  • Is deregulation a threat to smaller news publications and blogs, and freedom of the press in general? I like to get my news from a variety of sources, and would really hate to be stuck with USA Today and MSN.com when all is said and done.

That's just a short list. I'll try and come up with more of these as futher details of this bill come to light. Thank you for your help and anyone else who can offer some valuable input.
-Kaneda

Quote:1. How will this affect most people's ability to get on and contribute to message boards like this one?

That will depend on what your ISP decides to do. I doubt websites like this one will be affected at all, but major websites such as Google, Facebook, and Twitter etc may get regulated with pricing. Your ISP may offer an "unrestricted web access" option at a higher fee to access all available web content, including online gaming and and all major websites.

Quote:Is this legislation a potential threat to people who want to access scholarly journals for research, or simply for personal use?

I don't think so. I suspect the ISPs will be looking at charging extra for accessing websites that are known to draw an excessive amount of bandwidth, such as online gaming, and/or websites that attract millions of people at the same time, such as social networking sites. However, competition from other ISPs will bring this practice to its knees quickly, as they may offer unrestricted web access to lure away customers from competing ISPs.

Quote:Is deregulation a threat to smaller news publications and blogs, and freedom of the press in general? I like to get my news from a variety of sources, and would really hate to be stuck with USA Today and MSN.com when all is said and done.

I don't think so for the very same reasons stated in my previous response above.

This may not be a bad thing, because it could create competition for customers and if any of the ISPs start charging for premium web access, you will quickly see advertising from their competitors for better deals. This could be what is needed to stimulate a stagnate competition in pricing, and you may actually see prices from ISPs dropping as competition heats up.

25-11-2017, 12:40 AM
From the New York Times, 21 November:

"The proposal, [re net neutrality] made by the FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, is a sweeping repeal of rules put in place by the Obama administration. The rules prohibit high-speed internet service providers, or ISPs, from stopping or slowing down the delivery of websites. They also prevent the companies from charging customers extra fees for high-quality streaming and other services...

Mr. Pai, a Republican who has pursued an aggressive deregulation agenda, was widely expected to have his plan approved during a meeting on Dec. 14. The two other Republicans on the commission generally vote with Mr. Pai, giving them a majority over the two Democrats."

And checking on Ajit Pai... Donald Trump’s new FCC chairman promised last December to bring a "weed-wacker" to the agency that oversees the US’s media and telecommunications industries. He appears to be wielding a chain saw instead... Pai has set out to completely defang the FCC. He’s pushing a really aggressive agenda to benefit the biggest companies, and to show himself as a great "soldier for Trump".

Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-12-2017, 03:13 AM
Hey there Free...

I'm considering trying a VPN, but every review I've read seems to push a different one, and usually contradicting each other's pros and cons.

The one I'm thinking fo trying is IPVanish which gets a good, 8/10, write up in Tom's Guide.

Have you had any experience with VPNs; particularly with regard to slowing down connections? I note that some VPNs actually claim to increase download speeds—how can this be? There also seem to be conflicting reports about what they log or don't log, and there's been a couple of cases where the FBI gained a prosecution for illegal activities—supported by logged IP data from a VPN which claimed they didn't log anything, other than the client connection/disconnection timestamp.

—Thanks mate for any info.

01-12-2017, 10:19 AM
(01-12-2017 03:13 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Hey there Free...

I'm considering trying a VPN, but every review I've read seems to push a different one, and usually contradicting each other's pros and cons.

The one I'm thinking fo trying is IPVanish which gets a good, 8/10, write up in Tom's Guide.

Have you had any experience with VPNs; particularly with regard to slowing down connections? I note that some VPNs actually claim to increase download speeds—how can this be? There also seem to be conflicting reports about what they log or don't log, and there's been a couple of cases where the FBI gained a prosecution for illegal activities—supported by logged IP data from a VPN which claimed they didn't log anything, other than the client connection/disconnection timestamp.

—Thanks mate for any info.

Firstly, why do you think you need a VPN?

I often use the Tor Browser to keep myself anonymous online.

02-12-2017, 08:59 AM
(01-12-2017 10:19 AM)Free Wrote:  Firstly, why do you think you need a VPN?

No particular reason, other than to give it a try.
I've tried Tor—it's too slow, and doesn't render a lot of sites correctly. Thanks for the suggestion. Smile