Free Will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 11:23 AM by Adenosis.)
RE: Free Will
(31-01-2013 10:51 AM)Chaos Wrote:  Yep. I kinda understand the purpose behind it. I've always been suffering of over thinking which is not always a good thing, sometimes my mind is wandering in different places, different thoughts arise giving rise to other questions. It's a damn stress. Many times I even avoid reading books because it makes me think too much. I have no idea why such thing is happening, in a while I was thinking maybe I could suffer of ADD. Therefore, I think meditation would be recommended for me, but just wondering - isn't that a regress? It seems to me like a kind of hibernation. Sorry for offtopic. Unsure

Edit: do you think that thinking less, you could be more rational?
If I remember well, Sam Harris talked also about the perception of right and wrong which could be altered by this train of thoughts. Maybe this is why meditation is recommended.
Yeah I have/had problems focusing as well, and have previously been suspected of ADD, I definitely recommend trying this out. Go for 5 or 10 minutes if you can, just a couple times, if you don't like it then you can always just stop Smile

I guess it is in a sense mental hibernation, gives you a break from the constant trains of thought that stimulate us throughout the day. It's much more than rest though, your not resting, your soaking up the fabric of your conscious experience.

I'm not sure I remember seeing Sam talk about meditation as a tool to alter perception of right and wrong. I am not aware of any changes to my sense of right and wrong. However I suppose just the clarity of the mind might help with decisions, including moral decisions. I think it makes me more rational when it comes to internal stuff such as emotions, which I realize is not entirely rational in itself. Moreso I think it just helps me understand and deal with experiences, my emotions certainly don't go out of control. I like to rationalize everything, become aware of the cause of situations, sensations and thoughts. I think I spend less time worrying about a thought or event that way, instead I disect the thought or event. But I don't do this with all thoughts obviously, the ones like "5 more minutes.." when waking up I ignore and get up, it's an attempt to get rid of that thought that automatically arises every morning.

No problem for going off topic, it is an interesting topic... I should just make a separate thread. Perhaps I will later.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
31-01-2013, 11:43 AM
"You might not see it as magic, but that's how I see the idea of free will."

Can you think of other instances of humans crediting the unknown to magic?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
31-01-2013, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 12:13 PM by Adenosis.)
(31-01-2013 11:43 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "You might not see it as magic, but that's how I see the idea of free will."

Can you think of other instances of humans crediting the unknown to magic?

Plenty, I get your point and of course I could be wrong. But this still doesn't change my opinion that the idea of free will is wishful thinking.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

21-06-2014, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2014 08:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
Free Will May Just Be the Brain's 'Background Noise,' Scientists Say I'm just a rogue brainwave surfer dude. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.