Free Will - Sam Harris

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Free Will - Sam Harris
Looks like Sam Harris has a short, single sitting book on Free Will coming out next week.

I found his introduction of it rather bizarre.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 05:04 PM
RE: Free Will - Sam Harris
(03-03-2012 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Looks like Sam Harris has a short, single sitting book on Free Will coming out next week.

I found his introduction of it rather bizarre.

I don't think we can make gross overgeneralizations about people being so genetically malformed as to do the things these gangsters did.

How do we determine where an option turns into an uncontrollable impulse.
Irrespective of the 'disease' I find it very difficult to prioratize caring compassion for these people.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
(03-03-2012 05:04 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Irrespective of the 'disease' I find it very difficult to prioratize caring compassion for these people.

I agree that the compassion I feel for these fuckers is very low on my priority list, but I do still feel compassion for them in a Kafkaesque "What the fuck? How did I just do that?" sorta way.

03-03-2012, 08:59 PM
He raises an interesting point that I'm sure KC would love.

I am obsessed with sanity and I think this book will be right up my alley. The discussion of free will is one I really enjoy because it can be argued both ways depending on how you want to look at it.
Psychologically it can be argued that within a certain frame one might not actually be able to choose something outside of that frame.
I would actually agree with that but I would also claim that the only barrier stopping that person to make a choice that isn't within the frame is knowledge. So I would say that the limit to free will is a lack of knowledge. You can't make choices you aren't aware exist.

Also while I don't entirely agree with everything the guy says, his writing style is very easy to read. I can blow through one of his books in an afternoon. Let's see how much it's gonna cost though hahah.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
05-03-2012, 05:00 AM
I bought The Moral Landscape for my father but I haven't had a chance to read it. I will probably wait for this to come out in paperback or at least to get cheaper.

I read an article about free will written by Sam Harris in the New Statesman. It was an interesting talking point, but I'm not sure I agree with him. Also, he's a philosopher first and a neuroscientist second, so I don't really know how much of his findings are scientific. As long as he's just publishing books and magazine articles, and not experiments and results, I have no reason to accept what he's suggesting.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
05-03-2012, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 11:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-03-2012 05:00 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I will probably wait for this to come out in paperback or at least to get cheaper.

Think it's only coming out in paperback and electronically and costs like $6US.

(05-03-2012 05:00 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I read an article about free will written by Sam Harris in the New Statesman. It was an interesting talking point, but I'm not sure I agree with him. Also, he's a philosopher first and a neuroscientist second, so I don't really know how much of his findings are scientific.

Here's an interesting contrarian view in the NY Times. Is Neuroscience the Death of Free Will? But this guy is just a philosopher Wink (i.e. he doesn't hold a PhD in Neuroscience like Harris). The lengthy 300+ comments section after the article is even more informative.

(05-03-2012 05:00 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  As long as he's just publishing books and magazine articles, and not experiments and results, I have no reason to accept what he's suggesting.

Whether he's doing empirical or analytical work don't matter none to me, accept nothing, trust no one. ... Wait, did I just quote Fox Mulder? wtf?!? Huh