Free Will, an equal opportunity conundrum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Free Will, an equal opportunity conundrum.
If you believe in an omnipotent, omniscient God, then all your thoughts, actions, decisions, whatever are known and have always been known to God and are inalterable. Free will is, at best, an illusion.

If you believe a universe ruled by the laws of nature/science/physics, whatever then all your thoughts, actions, decisions, whatever are the product of natural laws and are inalterable. Free will is, at best, an illusion.

Thoughts?

Absolute Certainty’s most constant companion is Wrongheadedness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Free Will, an equal opportunity conundrum.
(13-12-2013 09:00 PM)Nick Danger Wrote:  If you believe in an omnipotent, omniscient God, then all your thoughts, actions, decisions, whatever are known and have always been known to God and are inalterable. Free will is, at best, an illusion.

If you believe a universe ruled by the laws of nature/science/physics, whatever then all your thoughts, actions, decisions, whatever are the product of natural laws and are inalterable. Free will is, at best, an illusion.

Thoughts?

I’m sure this has been covered here before, but humor a newbie.

13-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Know what else is an illusion? An omnidirectional joystick... man, eight contact points, if you're lucky. What kinda fucking omni is that?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-12-2013, 09:08 PM
(13-12-2013 09:00 PM)Nick Danger Wrote:  If you believe in an omnipotent, omniscient God, then all your thoughts, actions, decisions, whatever are known and have always been known to God and are inalterable. Free will is, at best, an illusion.

Thoughts?

My thoughts: There have been a lot of threads on free will lately Tongue

Also, I agree. Even if embedded in those laws of nature is an aspect of randomness.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-12-2013, 09:16 PM
(13-12-2013 09:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Know what else is an illusion? An omnidirectional joystick... man, eight contact points, if you're lucky. What kinda fucking omni is that?

See, now you bring up a real world problem. It makes my existential angst seem so, I don't know... small?

13-12-2013, 09:16 PM
[Image: 88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-12-2013, 09:22 PM
(13-12-2013 09:08 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  

Thoughts?

My thoughts: There have been a lot of threads on free will lately Tongue

Also, I agree. Even if embedded in those laws of nature is an aspect of randomness.

Schrödinger's cat to the rescue.

13-12-2013, 09:25 PM
(13-12-2013 09:16 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: 88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif]

Okay, point taken, but I wasn't here. Secretariat was already pushing up daisies and I didn't get so much as a whack.

[+] 1 user Likes Nick Danger's post
18-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Thoughts?

If this is true, why then prosecute criminals? They couldn't help it. Of course, one more step and you have the atheist's point about the judgment of god. You couldn't help yourself against sin so there's no reason for god to pass judgment. Both statements of "innocence" defy logic.
18-12-2013, 12:02 PM
(13-12-2013 09:16 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: 88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif]

I would also like to add:

[Image: dead-horse.gif]

There have been multiple threads about this... at least 3 in the last month, I think. Search through the forum, you'll find one pretty easily. There is a lot of discussion there.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]