Free Will vs. Determinism... references?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 05:18 AM
RE: Free Will vs. Determinism... references?
(12-06-2015 01:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Please don't copy this and post it in multiple threads. It's spammy.
Indeed; not incidentally, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
28-03-2017, 08:46 AM
(28-03-2017 05:18 AM)mordant Wrote:  Indeed; not incidentally, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread anyway.

He can't help himself.

Hobo
28-03-2017, 05:26 PM
(05-06-2015 02:40 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I apologize if this has been covered but I'm hoping someone could provide me with some good books on both Free Will and Determinism theories.

Under my recent apostasy I find myself leaning more towards determinism but I really want to dive into each much deeper.

Sam Harris is on my list.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.closertotruth.com/

Here you will find interviews with some leading experts on the issue of free will and it's nature. You may find this site of interest.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
28-03-2017, 05:33 PM
(27-03-2017 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 06:21 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I'm so torn on this. Free will seems to be denote that we always have a choice, but if everything is pre-determined, would anything that we choose, just be an illusion of choice? If are choices are just illusions, then why do we have prisons? Wouldn't that mean that no one could ever be held accountable for their actions, if all of our actions are pre-determined? Such an interesting topic, but frustrating, too.

I think decisions are being made, I'm just not the one making them. I blame it on the gut bacteria.

Blame your cat. Toxoplasma gondii Your cat's revenge.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
28-03-2017, 05:37 PM
I think we are evolutionary wired to think we have free will and find it hard to conceive how we couldn't. It's advantageous for the gut bacteria to let us think we are in control. Like in Westworld. Big Grin

#sigh
28-03-2017, 05:59 PM
(28-03-2017 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think we are evolutionary wired to think we have free will and find it hard to conceive how we couldn't. It's advantageous for the gut bacteria to let us think we are in control. Like in Westworld. Big Grin

If you are admitting that appearances say we have free will, then the burden of proof falls on those who deny it. As philosophers point out, you must preserve or explain appearances. "Gut bacteria" is funny but not convincing.
28-03-2017, 06:03 PM
(28-03-2017 05:59 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think we are evolutionary wired to think we have free will and find it hard to conceive how we couldn't. It's advantageous for the gut bacteria to let us think we are in control. Like in Westworld. Big Grin

If you are admitting that appearances say we have free will, then the burden of proof falls on those who deny it. As philosophers point out, you must preserve or explain appearances. "Gut bacteria" is funny but not convincing.

There are the Libet and subsequent similar and much more high-tech recent experiments which cast doubt on the appearance. Don't think their goal is to prove anything, it's more like "Oh my, would you look at that." And I was only partially tongue-in-cheek with the gut bacteria, the direct gut-brain link has been established.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-03-2017, 08:04 PM
(28-03-2017 06:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And I was only partially tongue-in-cheek with the gut bacteria, the direct gut-brain link has been established.

Yes, I was being facetious about the gut bacteria. I have no doubt they signal to us what they like to eat, but I highly doubt they would tell us whether to go to Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday's.

Hobo
28-03-2017, 08:21 PM
(28-03-2017 08:04 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 06:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And I was only partially tongue-in-cheek with the gut bacteria, the direct gut-brain link has been established.

Yes, I was being facetious about the gut bacteria. I have no doubt they signal to us what they like to eat, but I highly doubt they would tell us whether to go to Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday's.

Hobo

I'm not so sure of that. Big Grin

Your Gut Bacteria Want You to Eat a Cupcake - A new study suggests the microbes in humans' intestines may influence food choices.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-03-2017, 08:28 PM
(28-03-2017 05:18 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(12-06-2015 01:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Please don't copy this and post it in multiple threads. It's spammy.
Indeed; not incidentally, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread anyway.

This topic was dead a long time before someone necro'd it.

My comment was made years ago.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces