Free online college evolution course

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Free online college evolution course
The University of Wisconsin--Madison is offering a free online course on human evolution. It is being taught by the noted anthropologist John Hawks. See the video for more. I would love to do it but I'm starting back to school soon. I can't handle the extra load.

https://www.coursera.org/course/humanevolution

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like ghostexorcist's post
13-01-2014, 01:08 PM
RE: Free online college evolution course
Awesome!

Find all posts by this user
13-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Every time I see this photo I always think, "How could anyone not believe humans and chimpanzees are related"? Especially when you cover his face and head with your thumb (...and his balls too) you can't not see a man. A very odd muscled, squat looking man, but a man all the same.

[Edit:] If the photo is too big to cover his head with your thumb, you could always just scroll down until it cuts him off from the shoulders up, and you can see what I mean.

[Image: bald-chimpanzee.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
13-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the share, I will be spreading this everywhere Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
13-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Cool. I'm signed up! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-01-2014, 08:40 PM
https://www.coursera.org/course/criticalthinking

Free University of Edinburgh Critical Thinking course starting Jan 20 through coursera.org

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
13-01-2014, 08:41 PM
(13-01-2014 01:16 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Every time I see this photo I always think, "How could anyone not believe humans and chimpanzees are related"? Especially when you cover his face and head with your thumb (...and his balls too) you can't not see a man. A very odd muscled, squat looking man, but a man all the same.

Vanity and superstition.

Consider how long it has taken to apply the principles of evolution to the brain. Darwin suggested that human behaviour too could be undertood in terms of evolution but this idea was discarded and psychology took the unscientific Freudian turn. Both psychiatry and psychology lost valuable time to Freudian bullshit and it was not until the late 20th-century that evolutionary psychology emerged--and since that time it has gone from strength-to-strength.

The resistance to evolutionary psychology--which persists in some groups--represents an apparent need to give the human brain an exceptional status, i.e. the principles of evolution ought only to be applied below the neck. The subtext of this resistance was that the brain was the product not of evolution by natural selection but rather of special creation. Evolution could have the lungs, heart, kidneys etc. but not the brain. The resistance to evolutionary psychology provided (and continues to provide) a way to accept evolution but to maintain irrational ideas of human exceptionalism.
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
13-01-2014, 10:29 PM
(13-01-2014 08:41 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 01:16 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Every time I see this photo I always think, "How could anyone not believe humans and chimpanzees are related"? Especially when you cover his face and head with your thumb (...and his balls too) you can't not see a man. A very odd muscled, squat looking man, but a man all the same.

Vanity and superstition.

Consider how long it has taken to apply the principles of evolution to the brain. Darwin suggested that human behaviour too could be undertood in terms of evolution but this idea was discarded and psychology took the unscientific Freudian turn. Both psychiatry and psychology lost valuable time to Freudian bullshit and it was not until the late 20th-century that evolutionary psychology emerged--and since that time it has gone from strength-to-strength.

The resistance to evolutionary psychology--which persists in some groups--represents an apparent need to give the human brain an exceptional status, i.e. the principles of evolution ought only to be applied below the neck. The subtext of this resistance was that the brain was the product not of evolution by natural selection but rather of special creation. Evolution could have the lungs, heart, kidneys etc. but not the brain. The resistance to evolutionary psychology provided (and continues to provide) a way to accept evolution but to maintain irrational ideas of human exceptionalism.

Was thinking about this last evening. On 60 Minutes they revisited the story of the few people with total memory recall. They did some imaging studies of their brains. They are different, and have different "connections". (or enhanced "pathways" .. suggesting that we all may have the aptitude, even though untapped). It could be used as incontrovertible proof that the concept of "mind" as somehow separate from brain structures is total baloney.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gift-of-endless-memory/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-01-2014, 07:38 PM
(13-01-2014 08:41 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Vanity and superstition.

I agree for the most part, but I would like to point out that physical anthropologists and evolutionary psychologists don't always agree. From what many of my professors (and educators who post on the BioAnthropology News Facebook page) state, evolutionary psychologists often offer "just so" explanations. There is a wiki article on the subject.
15-01-2014, 01:17 PM
(13-01-2014 12:07 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The University of Wisconsin--Madison is offering a free online course on human evolution. It is being taught by the noted anthropologist John Hawks. See the video for more. I would love to do it but I'm starting back to school soon. I can't handle the extra load.

https://www.coursera.org/course/humanevolution

It has been a while since I found something that I would want to take the time out and enroll in a class for - I think that this is it! Thanks for this.

[Image: slaininthespirit-3.jpg]