Free range kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Free range kids
This news item says so much about todays society here in the US. When I was a kid, a loooooooooong time ago, we walked miles from home by ourselves, even when we lived in a city. I feel sorry for kids nowadays.

And I never, ever remember my mom playing games with me the way mothers do now or doing crafty things with me. She handed me a box of doodads and left me alone.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1009&sid=33175529

When my kids were little I let them wander around the neighborhood a bit but people looked at me like I was a witch mother. sigh. Parenting is just weird now.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
RE: Free range kids
(03-02-2015 02:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This news item says so much about todays society here in the US. When I was a kid, a loooooooooong time ago, we walked miles from home by ourselves, even when we lived in a city. I feel sorry for kids nowadays.

And I never, ever remember my mom playing games with me the way mothers do now or doing crafty things with me. She handed me a box of doodads and left me alone.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1009&sid=33175529

When my kids were little I let them wander around the neighborhood a bit but people looked at me like I was a witch mother. sigh. Parenting is just weird now.

Not sure you were aware of this website advocating a lighten up approach to parenting and laws. I was once a co-worker of the author, and now am in regular contact with a prosecutor who deals with crimes involving child victims. The prosecutor thinks my old co-worker is nuts and a danger to children.

My child has autism. No, I don't want him out alone. Smile

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
03-02-2015, 03:01 PM
(03-02-2015 02:20 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Not sure you were aware of this website advocating a lighten up approach to parenting and laws. I was once a co-worker of the author, and now am in regular contact with a prosecutor who deals with crimes involving child victims. The prosecutor thinks my old co-worker is nuts and a danger to children.

She sounds sane; the prosecutor is nuts and a danger to sensible parents.

Quote:My child has autism. No, I don't want him out alone. Smile

That's understandable, but it depends where he is on the spectrum and what skills he has developed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm 27 and remember a similar childhood, dance. I walked to and from school by myself unless it was below freezing as early as grade school. It was probably a 15-20 minute walk in our town. My parents would let me go off on my own with my bike or rollerblades all day as long as I made it home by the time the street lights came on. They only set a few boundaries. They didn't want me more than 4-5 blocks from home or so unless they knew where I was going (like the pool or a friend's house). They were very serious when talking to me about the importance of looking both ways when I crossed the street, and to not talk to strangers.

It worries me a bit the stories I've seen of some parents facing criminal charges for letting their kids do stuff I wouldn't have blinked twice at as a child.

Of course there is a time and a place to be protective, and every child is different. Some kids are ok to be on their own from a somewhat early age, others need more supervision, but we can't start saying that because some kids need more supervision no child should ever be left alone.

I'm glad I got the freedom I did.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
03-02-2015, 06:12 PM
It's about knowing YOUR neighborhood and knowing your children. As well as a bit of thinking like a criminal.

If someone is determined to harm a child, they will find a way to do it. If I can teach my kid a bit of street smarts then hopefully they won't be the target.

A bit of street smarts seems to make a big difference just on observing the ten or so elementary aged kids that roam my street.

The 6 year old is determined to get hit by a car because no matter how many close calls or people screaming at him or car horns blaring at him, he still doesn't bother to look for a car when running across the street. Smh.

My one daughter will notice if a particular car circles the block, the other one will avoid not being hit by said car, but won't even remember seeing it

YMMV.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-02-2015, 06:41 PM
I was a free range kid, drank from a garden hose and everything.
I was one of five kids, four of us boys. My mom's mantra was "go out and play". We lived down the street from a huge park and across the street from a river with woods. For the most part, the only time I stayed in was because the weather was bad or I was in bed sleeping.
It's a shame we need to be afraid to let our kids out of our sight now.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I can't even imagine what it must be like to have your parents breathing down your neck all the time.

How do these kids gain self confidence? Just at what age is it ok now for someone to take the bus alone?

We were allowed out in the morning and had to be home by dark. When I was 4 I was allowed out alone as long as I stayed within view of a window mom used to peek at me. All the other kids were out there too. When I was 6 I rode the bus to the ice skating rink by myself, skated all afternoon and rode the bus back and walked home alone.

No one thought a thing of it. My parents took me on trips abroad starting at age 3, they kept a lose look when abroad until I was 8. Then I was allowed strolls by myself, but had to stay on main streets.

I kind of worry about the "watched" generations. I can't imagine having to suddenly do things by myself when I always relied on parents before. Must be scary.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
(03-02-2015 05:53 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I'm 27 and remember a similar childhood, dance. I walked to and from school by myself unless it was below freezing as early as grade school. It was probably a 15-20 minute walk in our town. My parents would let me go off on my own with my bike or rollerblades all day as long as I made it home by the time the street lights came on. They only set a few boundaries. They didn't want me more than 4-5 blocks from home or so unless they knew where I was going (like the pool or a friend's house). They were very serious when talking to me about the importance of looking both ways when I crossed the street, and to not talk to strangers.

It worries me a bit the stories I've seen of some parents facing criminal charges for letting their kids do stuff I wouldn't have blinked twice at as a child.

Of course there is a time and a place to be protective, and every child is different. Some kids are ok to be on their own from a somewhat early age, others need more supervision, but we can't start saying that because some kids need more supervision no child should ever be left alone.

I'm glad I got the freedom I did.

There's so much childhood obesity and kids not allowed outside without constant supervision doesn't help matters. How are kids going to acquire any sort of confidence in themselves if they're being hovered over by parents 24 hours a day.

Just yesterday on the news there was a 10 or 11 year old kid who went on a field trip 4 or 5 blocks from the school. They went to a city park. The school bus left him behind when they returned to school because the kid was in the bathroom. So the kid took matters into his own hand and simply walked back to school. Of course, the school messed up that's for sure, but the hysterical mother was irate that her baby was lost in the world and all by himself and the funny part is that the kid looked quite pleased and proud of himself. He was all smiles. Instead of making this a positive thing for the kid the mother was going on about how he was in danger, at risk for every horrible crime known to mankind and her child would never recover from the psychological trauma. It was ridiculous.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2015, 07:28 AM
We are in the process of trying to buy a place that will be walking distance to pretty much everything. I'm hoping the kids will be somewhat free range by the time they are in high school. I think they should be able to walk there and back, and in the mean time we'll be close to parks and various other things. Our back yard will be nonexistent so playing outside the boundaries of our property will be essential.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-02-2015, 07:34 AM
I see parents hauling their kids to the end of the friggin driveway in their repulsive mini-vans --- in decent weather -- so the little snookums doesn't have to be all alonesome.....

Listen to these morons gripe in twenty years when their 30 year old kid is still living at home.....

Independence is a learned trait. You gotta take a few chances, if your kid is going to learn it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post