Free will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: Free will
(27-07-2015 11:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  It assaults the senses.

Assaulted peanuts?

Undecided

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2015, 03:04 PM
(27-07-2015 11:31 AM)hasgclean Wrote:  The information I gave is actualy very poor, thats why we, in confrontation with it, tend to say no instinctively. If I added what is experiencing the peanut then you'd see it's ok to look at it with loving eyes ^^ and that acceptance is actualy what enables people to live better, to enjoy all and every little thing as much as one can, well, one of the ways, hehe.

Bb

Perhaps this will help me to understand - I know it helps me to enjoy each and every little thing as much as I can.

Smokin

Hmm, peanuts, good idea! I shall give it a shot.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Empirical measure used by Ben Libet was the time difference between the readiness potential (RP) and the conscious action.

What he found was there was a measurable gap between the subconscious RP and the conscious action, indicating there might be a subconscious 'decision to act' made prior to the conscious act, one we are not consciously in control of. This is subject to some debate.

Ben Libet Experiment

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
[+] 1 user Likes ArchibaldFunkdust's post
27-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Q: What do they mean when they say "free will"?
A: correct way to say: moral agency.
Q: what is moral agency?
A: ability to choose between good(right) and evil(wrong)
How can we know which thing has moral agency? by actions of the thing.
(Actions speak thousand words)

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
27-07-2015, 10:24 PM
(27-07-2015 07:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  Q: What do they mean when they say "free will"?

That action wouldn't be enough because "by the actions of the thing." doesn't divulge you to what good/right is and what evil/wrong is.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-07-2015, 10:41 PM
(27-07-2015 10:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 07:56 PM)Alla Wrote:  Q: What do they mean when they say "free will"?

That action wouldn't be enough because "by the actions of the thing." doesn't divulge you to what good/right is and what evil/wrong is.
I may ask thing(person): why did you help me? then I may have an answer: because it was right/good/moral thing to do and I love to do good".
this way I know that person has moral agency.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
28-07-2015, 06:23 AM
(27-07-2015 10:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 10:24 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That action wouldn't be enough because "by the actions of the thing." doesn't divulge you to what good/right is and what evil/wrong is.
I may ask thing(person): why did you help me? then I may have an answer: because it was right/good/moral thing to do and I love to do good".
this way I know that person has moral agency.

Hmm.. But how do you know that person knows what is good/right? How do you know that person did have an actual agency or wasn't manipulated or coerced into doing it? Or perhaps it's not even a consciously acting person, but you wouldn't know that from that limited event.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Free will???

Nope...

My lawyer charged me for the damned thing....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-07-2015, 11:39 AM

What about the Socratic argument that no one can deliberately choose evil?

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
28-07-2015, 11:43 AM
An interesting theory I heard was that the wave-particle concept can allow for freewill. Since electrons can be both a wave or a particle depending upon whether it is observed. This in the mind we have the ability to control the electrons state this turning the brain into a binary response system.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc