Free will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2015, 12:04 PM
RE: Free will
(28-07-2015 06:23 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 10:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  I may ask thing(person): why did you help me? then I may have an answer: because it was right/good/moral thing to do and I love to do good".
this way I know that person has moral agency.

Hmm.. But how do you know that person knows what is good/right?
When that person tells me that he/she feels guilty. It means this person has conscience and his/her own idea about right and wrong. When someone feels guilty then someone has conscience or moral agency - ability to decide what is good and what is wrong( in his/her opinion)
If I lie and then feel guilty I have conscience and I know that to lie is wrong. I have moral agency - ability to choose between good and evil, right and wrong.
(28-07-2015 06:23 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  How do you know that person did have an actual agency or wasn't manipulated or coerced into doing it?
How? There are two ways to know:
1)this person tells me: I was manipulated or coerced into doing it
2)person who manipulated tells me: I made him/her to do that
In this case person didn't exercise his/her moral agency. It doesn't mean he/she doesn't have it.

(28-07-2015 06:23 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Or perhaps it's not even a consciously acting person, but you wouldn't know that from that limited event.
in this case person has no ability to exercise his/her moral agency. It doesn't mean he/she doesn't have it.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply