Free will?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2018, 09:55 PM
RE: Free will?
(09-01-2018 03:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-01-2018 12:50 PM)elsie1901 Wrote:  What's your rebuttal to the whole "free will" concept?

It seems dubious at best based on all available evidence - Neuroscience of Free Will. ... Just more woo flotsam and jetsom.

Quote:Dennett insists that many important and common conceptions of "free will" are compatible with the emerging evidence from neuroscience

Specifically, free will as moral competence...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-01-2018, 07:36 PM
(09-01-2018 12:50 PM)elsie1901 Wrote:  What's your rebuttal to the whole "free will" concept?...

Why have you couched your question in terms of "rebuttal"? Presumably you believe that free will does exist, and that you're asking us to provide evidence supporting the opposite?

So I'll ask you whether or not you really do believe free will exists, or it doesn't, before I answer your question.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
10-01-2018, 10:49 PM
It doesn't matter whether we have a real choice or not. If it turns out we don't, nothing has been lost.

It's not even possible to "try to act as if we have no choice". That's a contradiction in terms. It involves making a choice, towards what we somehow think would be the consequence of having no choice. We could, of course, actually have no choice, and part of that is some hilarious ironic attempt to ape ourselves. But if we have a choice, we're choosing.

It's a tricky subject because almost all language and trains of thought take some form of free-will as a given. For any kind of moral debate, it's impossible to proceed without making this assumption. And again, we lose nothing if it's wrong.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2018, 10:48 AM
(09-01-2018 12:50 PM)elsie1901 Wrote:  What's your rebuttal to the whole "free will" concept? I'm having trouble fully understanding what exactly it is in the first place... But it just seems like a big fat miserable excuse as to "why there's evil in the world".

The consequences of sin, according to the same theologies the spout free will as an excuse, are:
evil
disease
natural disasters
painful childbirth
poverty
etc.

These things would supposedly not exist if complete free will was not allowed simply by God making sinning not an option.

Those who state free will as an acceptable justification for those things are actually saying those things are worth enduring just so that we still have the choice to sin. But why is a choice to sin so important? I don't think they really understand what they are saying.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post