Free will?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2018, 05:56 AM
RE: Free will?
(09-01-2018 12:50 PM)elsie1901 Wrote:  What's your rebuttal to the whole "free will" concept? I'm having trouble fully understanding what exactly it is in the first place... But it just seems like a big fat miserable excuse as to "why there's evil in the world".

What else would there be?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2018, 08:29 AM
(09-01-2018 02:20 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(09-01-2018 02:12 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The concept of free will is indeed used by religious apologists to explain why there's evil in the world, but it certainly doesn't explain "natural evils" like earthquakes, parasites, tsunamis, cancers, etc. which God would indeed be responsible for if he was all-powerful. (The Bible attributed such things to the fall of man, but not as many people do so today since they take into account our scientific understandings of such things.) Further, God (being all-powerful) would still be responsible for not intervening when people get out-of-hand with the exercize of their free will.

I've talked to people who believe that, despite what we know about science. I've had people tell me straight up that the fall somehow corrupted our DNA. We've heard the Pat Robinsons of the world blame natural disasters on gay people.

Never underestimate the ability of an apologist to double down.

" I've had people tell me straight up that the fall somehow corrupted our DNA. "

I'm guessing they were Protestants, Rob. The Total Depravity doctrine never grew legs with Catholicism.
Find all posts by this user
14-04-2018, 08:58 AM
(14-04-2018 04:05 AM)Kie Wrote:  A spiritualist perspective would be that we are all GOD or at least apart of GOD we are the creator of everything it’s just we’ve been brainwashed into believing we are not one that we are individuals separate from everything...

Any so-called "spiritualist" perspective can be safely and totally ignored. "Perspective" is the last thing that describes spiritualism.

THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF SPIRITUALISM
• The creative divine spirit of the Universe whom we call God
• The unity of all created beings
• The communion of spirits and ministering guides
• The continuous existence of life beyond the veil of death
• Communication between incarnate and discarnate spirits
• Personal responsibility for all our actions whilst on earth
• A path of eternal progress open to all souls
Emma Hardinge Britten 1823-1899

Need I say more LOL.

Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post