Freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Freedom
In my personal observation, freedom is slowly but surely disappearing.

Now, that is my perception, but it is of course totally dependent on how you define freedom.

What does freedom mean to you?

And if you don't mind, would you please state your age?

Thanks for posting, it's just a little personal survey I'd like to do.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 06:10 PM
RE: Freedom
26, in a very general sense, freedoms for me, is being able to live my life the way I want to without interference or fear of harm coming my way because of those choices. This works in the reverse as well, my choices in life shouldn't harm others trying to live their life as they choose.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
11-11-2013, 06:26 PM
(11-11-2013 06:10 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  26, in a very general sense, freedoms for me, is being able to live my life the way I want to without interference or fear of harm coming my way because of those choices. This works in the reverse as well, my choices in life shouldn't harm others trying to live their life as they choose.

Are there ever things you can't do because of laws or work or whatever restrictions?

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-11-2013, 06:39 PM
51. To think what I like, whatever I like, whenever I like. Ain't met a damn thing which could take that away from me yet. Strokes and Alzheimer's do scare me a bit though.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-11-2013, 06:41 PM
(11-11-2013 06:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Are there ever things you can't do because of laws or work or whatever restrictions?

Smoking pot comes to mind first. I have issues sleeping, and a few hits at the end of the night is all I need to avoid using sleeping pills, which scare me. Using it doesn't harm anyone (except possibly me, and my memory). I never use when I am going to be in the company of others, operating machinery (my car), or while I'm working.

Being forced to pay for the welfare system. There are MANY people who need and deserve the assistance, but the system is broken. I'd be more inclined to donate to reputable organizations if I weren't already forced to donate.

I'm a big supporter of gun rights, it is again a system that is flawed in our country, but it scares me to think my right to bear arms could be taken away.

I also feel that I should have a right to privacy, but this is going away as well it seems.

I love being in this forum, and try not to get into heated debates about these topics, and would like to avoid it here too if I can so please be gentle folks lol just wanted to share my opinion. Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
11-11-2013, 06:58 PM
The pot probably will be legal all over the place eventually.

Taxes - I think they have always been spent in ways individuals disagree with.

Privacy, now that strikes a chord with me. Invasion of privacy has become so very common - when the internet started I thought it would have the opposite effect, I thought it would be a place where people could be private. Turns out it invades privacy like nothing before.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-11-2013, 07:01 PM
How do you define freedom? I suppose it differs from person to person. But in general I support the right of the individual to pursue his own interests so long as this does not harm another person.

Edit: I'm 26. Forgot you wanted age.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
11-11-2013, 07:11 PM
(11-11-2013 06:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  The pot probably will be legal all over the place eventually.

Privacy, now that strikes a chord with me. Invasion of privacy has become so very common - when the internet started I thought it would have the opposite effect, I thought it would be a place where people could be private. Turns out it invades privacy like nothing before.

Agree on all counts. I hope I don't get caught with my weed before it's legalized. That could cause jail time, fines, the loss of my job, and embarrassment. This is the one that irks me the most, that I could face all of these consequences for something I enjoy in my free time that harms no one.

I doubt I'd ever be happy with how my tax dollars are spent.

Part of me thinks that losing privacy over the internet is a cost of use, but it shouldn't be.

11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
I think valuing Freedom is the key to a harmonious society.
I also think freedom is improving through the ages. With ongoing globalisation, societies need to be more inclusive of people from various backgrounds (cultures, beliefs etc). Thus oppressive and conformist moral beliefs are thankfully being replaced by tolerance and diversity. Many countries today are on the verge of legalising gay marriage (if they have not already), many countries are legalising prostitution and drugs. Many countries are removing exclusive religious rules or customs from secular society.
I even think that many countries are starting to realise that they cannot control other countries, cannot insist their own moral beliefs and views are to be forced into other countries. From the USA perspective Obama is a big step up from Bush in terms of respect for other countries.
But on the flip side, it seems many Arab nations are becoming more theocratic. Maybe if the West stop pushing the Arabs, then the Arabs won't resist so hard. IDK, but as far as I can tell, with improved scientific knowledge and globalisation, societies are becoming tolerant, diverse and inclusive which means increased freedom.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
11-11-2013, 07:23 PM
(11-11-2013 06:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  The pot probably will be legal all over the place eventually.

Girly ain't worried about the interwebz, Girly's worried about the smart phones. Might as well let the government embed an RF ID chip and Lojack into your ass. Girly's never carried a cell phone 'cause I ain't gonna be at no one's beck and call, not even Manly's. But these days it's gone far beyond that. Girly ain't never gonna carry a cell phone unless it's a burner to keep in touch with Manly when I travel. Some scary shit right there.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post