Freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Freedom
So since becoming an atheist I have notice something comparitively different about my outlook on life. Now I know what you are thinking "uhhhh duh" but it's not in relations to after death or how the universe work. It's more of a self thing.

Since tearing down one of the biggest lies I have ever been told a lot of other messed up outlooks have come down as well.

First was the outlook on the lgbt community or even what it was. Hell I had no clue that there was more to it besides gays and lesbians.

Secondly was my outlook on sex. Up until 18 I was a virgin which is totally fine by the way but what was wrong was the reasoning behind it. I wasn't a virgin because of a long thought out reason but because of fear. It doesn't even stop there. I was literally terrified of even masturbating because I thought all my ancestors and god was in the room(fucking creepy right). That's what instilling a fear of hell does to a young persons mind especially when it's told to them before they even learn what letters are.

Lastly, my outlook on drugs/alcohol. Now I had never even tried alcohol until I joined the military(go figure) and had never smoked so much as a cigarette until then as well. Now I view it as long as it's not hurting anyone go for it. Now when I say drugs I mean soft stuff like weed. Now that I think about it alcohol is pretty dangerous....so are cigarettes. Well alcohol is find if you're not driving and are not in public making an ass of yourself. Don't really like the stuff myself. Wow I'm rambling. Fuck it I'll post it sounds more genuine.

ANNNYYYYWAAAYYYY

I think it was not all of me getting rid of religion. I think me having to grow up quickly while in the military has helped me a good bit too. Hell that's what started my path to atheism now that I think about it. Having to be around people from all over the world really opens up your eyes. But in the end my christian upbringing definitely held me back a bunch as a kid. I think this should be put in the ramble thread honestly but I'm too lazy. Hopefully I don't get what ever it is we get on here for not following rules.

I had a point to this but I lost it. Fuck it. Have a great Wednesday everyone. That is a hard word to spell high. Spell check for the save. Ok I'm done making an ass of myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like MrKrispy601's post
15-07-2015, 11:06 AM
RE: Freedom
I was afraid to masturbate too because God doesn't want you touching yourself. And having sex before marriage--well, that's a definite no-no. As a woman in my church, you were also told that you would be letting your future husband down if you engaged in premarital sex. But of course, I ended up doing all of these things anyway. I felt so awful for letting God, myself, and my future husband down.

Sex is a healthy part of being human and masturbation not only feels good, but has many health-related benefits. I enjoy sex way more than I ever did as a Christian. I like knowing that God is not in the room watching me when I'm doin' my thing by myself or with someone else Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 8 users Like jennybee's post
15-07-2015, 10:19 PM
(15-07-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I like knowing that God is not in the room watching me when I'm doin' my thing by myself or with someone else Wink

On the other hand I wish he was there and watching, dudes gotten laid like what? Once? And it was some other dudes wife at that, the asshole. He's a fucking amateur!

Uh...literally.

*Ahem* Point being it would be kinda fun to show up the creator of the freaking universe. Old man's gotta step up his game.Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
15-07-2015, 11:03 PM
[Image: th?id=JN.r8hYT8069e1bTqx%2b1W5u5g&am...mp;amp;P=0]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-07-2015, 05:46 AM
(15-07-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I was afraid to masturbate too because God doesn't want you touching yourself. And having sex before marriage--well, that's a definite no-no. As a woman in my church, you were also told that you would be letting your future husband down if you engaged in premarital sex. But of course, I ended up doing all of these things anyway. I felt so awful for letting God, myself, and my future husband down.

Sex is a healthy part of being human and masturbation not only feels good, but has many health-related benefits. I enjoy sex way more than I ever did as a Christian. I like knowing that God is not in the room watching me when I'm doin' my thing by myself or with someone else Wink

Our church had similar teachings. Plus pretty much anything that people enjoyed to do was either outright sinful--sex, drinking, dancing, etc.--or vaguely wrong if it wasn't god-oriented (playing or listening to secular music, watching secular TV, reading a novel…). I was raised to be a godly wife who would "save" herself for her husband and always, always submit to his will.

It's such a relief to have moved past that bullshit. The one kind of fun thing my religious upbringing did was to give an extra zing to even mild acts of rebellion. In my 20s, I could feel deliciously eeee-vil by means of sitting in my apartment, drinking a beer and watching a Monty Python rerun while entertaining mildly dirty thoughts about Michael Palin.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
17-07-2015, 05:05 AM
(15-07-2015 11:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I was afraid to masturbate too because God doesn't want you touching yourself. And having sex before marriage--well, that's a definite no-no. As a woman in my church, you were also told that you would be letting your future husband down if you engaged in premarital sex. But of course, I ended up doing all of these things anyway. I felt so awful for letting God, myself, and my future husband down.

Is that a new fetish now? Sex with god watching lol
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
21-07-2015, 04:29 AM
(15-07-2015 10:49 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So since becoming an atheist I have notice something comparitively different about my outlook on life. Now I know what you are thinking "uhhhh duh" but it's not in relations to after death or how the universe work. It's more of a self thing.

Since tearing down one of the biggest lies I have ever been told a lot of other messed up outlooks have come down as well.

First was the outlook on the lgbt community or even what it was. Hell I had no clue that there was more to it besides gays and lesbians.

Secondly was my outlook on sex. Up until 18 I was a virgin which is totally fine by the way but what was wrong was the reasoning behind it. I wasn't a virgin because of a long thought out reason but because of fear. It doesn't even stop there. I was literally terrified of even masturbating because I thought all my ancestors and god was in the room(fucking creepy right). That's what instilling a fear of hell does to a young persons mind especially when it's told to them before they even learn what letters are.

Lastly, my outlook on drugs/alcohol. Now I had never even tried alcohol until I joined the military(go figure) and had never smoked so much as a cigarette until then as well. Now I view it as long as it's not hurting anyone go for it. Now when I say drugs I mean soft stuff like weed. Now that I think about it alcohol is pretty dangerous....so are cigarettes. Well alcohol is find if you're not driving and are not in public making an ass of yourself. Don't really like the stuff myself. Wow I'm rambling. Fuck it I'll post it sounds more genuine.

ANNNYYYYWAAAYYYY

I think it was not all of me getting rid of religion. I think me having to grow up quickly while in the military has helped me a good bit too. Hell that's what started my path to atheism now that I think about it. Having to be around people from all over the world really opens up your eyes. But in the end my christian upbringing definitely held me back a bunch as a kid. I think this should be put in the ramble thread honestly but I'm too lazy. Hopefully I don't get what ever it is we get on here for not following rules.

I had a point to this but I lost it. Fuck it. Have a great Wednesday everyone. That is a hard word to spell high. Spell check for the save. Ok I'm done making an ass of myself.

I think you made an excellent point. Loud and clear!

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam