Freedom of expression in Pakistan ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Freedom of expression in Pakistan ...
... will get you killed.

Just ask this university student. Oh right, you can't because uh, he was lynched for ... oh, just guess ...
Yep - our old friend, blasphemy! Thumbsup

Evidently, Pakistan has enacted "strict" blasphemy laws.
Because, that's a thing in modern civilized countries.
Dodgy

So, there's another country I'll never go to and encourage others to not go to, as well. It's just one more of several reasons they won't be getting my big fat American dollars. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
15-04-2017, 01:56 PM
RE: Freedom of expression in Pakistan ...
Undecided

Freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom of speech are pretty much endangered everywhere in the world. Just in Pakistan and some other places they don't paper it over with speeches about how "this is really about keeping our people safe" or some other such nonsense. Or at least, their excuses are more transparently obvious lies as opposed to well-told lies.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2017, 02:22 PM
(15-04-2017 01:52 PM)kim Wrote:  ... encourage others to not go to, as well. It's just one more of several reasons they won't be getting my big fat American dollars. Shy

You've reminded me where I was last Easter.

Easter was earlier last year and while I was there, there were riots over criticism of the blasphemy laws and there was the Lahore bombing.

It's one of those really primitive places on the planet where they have "open-carry" like that's a normal thing.

Angel

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-04-2017, 02:28 PM
(15-04-2017 02:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It's one of those really primitive places on the planet where they have "open-carry" like that's a normal thing.

Angel

Hmm Consider maybe I'll rethink it as a vacation spot. We have much more in common than I've been led to believe. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-04-2017, 02:14 PM
They seem to take blasphemy quite seriously in Pakistan. This kid cut his own hand off when he accidentally said he has stopped praying: https://www.dawn.com/news/1233191/boy-cu...jab-police

The law is a bit of a Catch-22 for the judiciary. As a result of some unfortunate legal research, courts were persuaded that blasphemy is unpardonable, so you die. But this is, apparently, not supported by Islamic law. But, it's also blasphemy, punishable by death, to say that blasphemy is pardonable.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1149558/the-un...sphemy-law This article points out why there can now be no discussion of this; because, in the course of discussing the position, people may be accused of blasphemy, if they say that blasphemy should be pardonable, and this would mean they would have to be sentenced to death as well.

Hmmm.... I still find it amazing that there are people this stupid. Whole countries full of them.
17-04-2017, 06:05 PM
[Image: rickygervais.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
17-04-2017, 08:49 PM
This is Pakistan we're talking about here what did you expect?
They're not a modern civilized country. They're just as fucking stupid as any other middle eastern Muslim country.
Probably more so actually.
18-04-2017, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2017 12:12 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Anyway, I had no plans to visit there, largely for reasoning illuminated in the OP.
18-04-2017, 01:12 AM
God damn, how horrible Sad

I never understand why God needs so much coddling. Is he all powerful, or made of glass?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post