Freedom of press

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2015, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2015 05:54 PM by earmuffs.)
RE: Freedom of press
(13-02-2015 05:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 05:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So never heard of this Eritrea country before (which is surprising because my geography is rather good if I don't say so myself) but it scored last, lower than North Korea...
Just soak that in for a little while. Worse than North Korea. And I thought the Spanish were pretty piss poor colonizers, these Italians... damn they did a shit job...

Far more of Eritrea's problems can be traced to its forcible annexation to Ethiopia post WWII and subsequent decades long insurgency before gaining independence when the Ethiopian communists collapsed. Well - and that's not to mention the civil wars between rebel factions while that was happening.

Naturally, this environment left only the nicest possible people in charge in the 1990s. The more you know!

Yes I'm reading up on the country. It certainly sounds like they've had the rough end of the stick for a while. Ottomans, Italians, British during WW2 that tore up the countries industry and infrastructure as "war compensation", years of uncertainty while foreign influences decided what to do with Eritrea finally resulting in forcing the country to accept the Ethiopian Emperor as their sovereign though allow them to keep their government only to have Ethiopia outright annex them in the 60's only for Eritrea to turn around and say fuck that shit and declare independence resulting in a war that lasted from 1962 to 1991. Than following the recognition of Eritrean independence an uneasiness between Eritrea and Ethipoia which flared up again in 2001 with border skirmishes resulting in some 70,000 deaths.

So yea, I think it's a little understandable that Eritrea is a little fucked up.

edit: OH and the US and Israel and even the Soviets supported Ethiopia during Eritrea's war for independence.
So that and the fact that their country was fucked up in the first place because of foreign powers I think that would explain the dislike of foreign media.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2015, 06:13 PM
This is why I get all my news from here.

If its really important it'll get posted twice.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-02-2015, 10:24 AM
(13-02-2015 07:45 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Why can't Canada be warm year round?

Because then I would have to leave (I can't stand the heat).

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
15-02-2015, 10:29 AM
(13-02-2015 05:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 05:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Far more of Eritrea's problems can be traced to its forcible annexation to Ethiopia post WWII and subsequent decades long insurgency before gaining independence when the Ethiopian communists collapsed. Well - and that's not to mention the civil wars between rebel factions while that was happening.

Naturally, this environment left only the nicest possible people in charge in the 1990s. The more you know!

Yes I'm reading up on the country. It certainly sounds like they've had the rough end of the stick for a while. Ottomans, Italians, British during WW2 that tore up the countries industry and infrastructure as "war compensation", years of uncertainty while foreign influences decided what to do with Eritrea finally resulting in forcing the country to accept the Ethiopian Emperor as their sovereign though allow them to keep their government only to have Ethiopia outright annex them in the 60's only for Eritrea to turn around and say fuck that shit and declare independence resulting in a war that lasted from 1962 to 1991. Than following the recognition of Eritrean independence an uneasiness between Eritrea and Ethipoia which flared up again in 2001 with border skirmishes resulting in some 70,000 deaths.

So yea, I think it's a little understandable that Eritrea is a little fucked up.

edit: OH and the US and Israel and even the Soviets supported Ethiopia during Eritrea's war for independence.
So that and the fact that their country was fucked up in the first place because of foreign powers I think that would explain the dislike of foreign media.

Actually, on the topic of Ethiopia, the country was far better off under the Emperor. Haile Selassie was a dictator and a tyrant, but at least he didn't stave the people and was far less brutal in suppressing dissent than Mengistu.

Ethiopia is a very interesting country to read up on, and a rather sad story too. Place went from superpower in ancient times to being one of the world's poorest countries now.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
15-02-2015, 04:35 PM
(15-02-2015 10:29 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 05:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes I'm reading up on the country. It certainly sounds like they've had the rough end of the stick for a while. Ottomans, Italians, British during WW2 that tore up the countries industry and infrastructure as "war compensation", years of uncertainty while foreign influences decided what to do with Eritrea finally resulting in forcing the country to accept the Ethiopian Emperor as their sovereign though allow them to keep their government only to have Ethiopia outright annex them in the 60's only for Eritrea to turn around and say fuck that shit and declare independence resulting in a war that lasted from 1962 to 1991. Than following the recognition of Eritrean independence an uneasiness between Eritrea and Ethipoia which flared up again in 2001 with border skirmishes resulting in some 70,000 deaths.

Actually, on the topic of Ethiopia, the country was far better off under the Emperor. Haile Selassie was a dictator and a tyrant, but at least he didn't stave the people and was far less brutal in suppressing dissent than Mengistu.

Ethiopia is a very interesting country to read up on, and a rather sad story too. Place went from superpower in ancient times to being one of the world's poorest countries now.

It's not that Eritrea was better off under Ethiopian rule, it's that they never wanted to be under Ethiopian rule but it was decided for them without any of their input.
Not to mention I'm sure they didn't choose to be forced to become a colony by the Italians or they didn't choose for Italy to get involved in WW2 and lose and for the British to come along and steal the countries industry and infrastructure.

The country should have been given independence at the end of WW2 and the British shouldn't have crippled the countries industry and infrastructure.
Had that occurred the political landscape might be very different today, as cjlr was saying.