Freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 08:39 PM by ridethespiral.)
RE: Freedom
Freedom is a sham, it's a sales gimmick.

Nobody is free, everyone is bound to society, obligation, rules and consequence, except for maybe the most elite to whom the rules don't seem to apply(freedom and power are two sides of the same coin)...or those who are so remote, so insignificant and so removed that they can avoid interaction with society all together (and in this way they are also confined).

One can feel free from time to time but the feeling is fleeting as the world gets every more densely populated and resources more and more scarce...and the less you have the less free you are.

There is no such thing as freedom just degrees of enslavement/oppression.

Frank Zappa Wrote:There ain't no Great Society
As it applies to you and me
Our country isn't free
And the law refuses to see
If all that you can ever be
Is just a lousy janitor
Unless your uncle owns a store
You know that five in every four
Just won't amount to nothin' more
Gonna watch the rats go across the floor
And make up songs about being poor

Blow your harmonica, son!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
11-11-2013, 07:28 PM
26. I think freedom is disappearing, but not by law, by commerce. The effort required to live an average life today consumes most of our time, leaving very little of it to actually be free (do things as we want, instead of things as we must).

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
(11-11-2013 06:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  ...
1. What does freedom mean to you?

2. And if you don't mind, would you please state your age?

1. FreeDom

Two of my favourite posters on TTA.

2. Do your own damn research!

OR...

USA's Freedom: The right to rule the world.

RoW's Freedom: The right to have the USA leave us the fuck alone.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-11-2013, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 07:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-11-2013 07:27 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Freedom is a sham, it's a sales gimmick.

Nobody is free, everyone is bound to society, obligation, rules and consequence, except for maybe the most elite to whom the rules don't seem to apply...or those who are so remote, so insignificant and so removed that they can avoid interaction with society all together (and in this way they are also confined).

One can feel free from time to time but the feeling is fleeting as the world gets every more densely populated and resources more and more scarce...and the less you have the less free you are.

Our country isn't free
Is just a lousy janitor

Nice Spiral. Thanks for letting Girly ground this one. Thumbsup

"Hey, you know something people?
I'm not black
But there's a whole lots a times
I wish I could say I'm not white."

Breathing - it's more art than science.
11-11-2013, 08:36 PM
(11-11-2013 07:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-11-2013 07:27 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Freedom is a sham, it's a sales gimmick.

Nobody is free, everyone is bound to society, obligation, rules and consequence, except for maybe the most elite to whom the rules don't seem to apply...or those who are so remote, so insignificant and so removed that they can avoid interaction with society all together (and in this way they are also confined).

Nice Spiral. Thanks for letting Girly ground this one. Thumbsup

"Hey, you know something people?
I'm not black
But there's a whole lots a times
I wish I could say I'm not white."

I miss Frank and I didn't even know who he was when he lived. For a demented perve he sure was a standup guy and a genius to boot.

That not black line is how I feel about the whole thing and for Frank to say it back in the 60s... He was ahead of his time.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Nobody is free, everyone is bound to society, obligation, rules and consequence, except for maybe the most elite to whom the rules don't seem to apply(freedom and power are two sides of the same coin)...or those who are so remote, so insignificant and so removed that they can avoid interaction with society all together (and in this way they are also confined).

Our country isn't free
Is just a lousy janitor

One of the reasons I asked the question is that I recently lost a 40 year old friend to a heart attack and he had me thinking about this.

Someone I had never met before knocked on my door and handed me a hand carved serving tray - carved out of one piece of wood with gorgeous markings. A piece of art and it must have taken ages to make it. She handed it to me and informed me that my friend had died and left this to me. We talked for a couple of hours, and bits and pieces about his life came out.

He lived not too far from where I live, he had a small wood mill and I met him when I built raised garden beds and got the wood from him, years ago. I never knew exactly where he lived.

Turns out, he lived in an "invisible community".

I have not been there, nor do I know it's location, but it is tucked away where no one goes in the "wilderness".

I don't know exactly how big it is either. There is no electricity going there, but they have some generators and some solar energy. The houses are built by the community. As she told it, they all help each other with whatever is needed.

They are not totally independent, they come into society to make some money and buy some things, as witnessed by the way I met my friend.

But they have no bills, no contact with authorities of any kind. They just live there unfettered. They have no political motives or affiliations.

She was careful not to give too many details. But apparently they all ended up there because they wanted freedom. This is their version of it. There were several generations of people there.

Had he lived in town, maybe he would not have died, medics would have been at hand. She explained that they did go to the ER if needed, they don't poopoo medicine or any modern accomplishments. She seemed well read, but unaware of current events. He was well read in his fields of interest - construction and fishing and food preparation/preservation. He used to bring me a big hunk of fresh tuna every summer.

So that is what got me to thinking about freedom and society.

My friend was a calm, happy fellow, and my visitor much struck me the same way.

So I wonder what freedoms exactly they gained, what they may have given up for it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing, Dom.

You mentioned several generations living there. Do you know if their children went to public school, or were they homeschooled in the community?

I love this idea, and have thought i'd enjoy it myself, but alas I am not made for physical labor, and I love technology :-(

[Image: dlapuo244d3.png]