Freeing My Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 01:46 AM
RE: Freeing My Mind
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 02:05 AM
A big TTA welcome to you, too, Port.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-01-2017, 01:05 AM
A belated thanks for all the warm welcomes. Smile

Thanks, port_of_call, for sharing your story. Did your family join one of those crazy Old Calendar outfits, or were you Antiochian, OCA, Greek? Out of curiosity? I was in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese. I do have some fond memories. The old Greek priest that always had a smile and would tell me I was a "good boy," even though I was in my mid twenties. Smile

Yes, the liturgy is pretty. I still have icons hanging up, I suppose for their artistic value at this point. I may get rid of them someday. I, too, have gone to monasteries. One smaller community in Ohio seemed particularly nice. I wanted to join them in the worst way; I suppose my major crush on one of the brothers was one of the main reasons. Yeah, monks make me hot and bothered.
[+] 2 users Like jjohns28's post
28-01-2017, 09:35 PM
I grew up OCA. I was definitely involved in an Old Calendar outfit, though, through a network of penpals when I spent 3 super religious years as a homeschooled pre-teen. (jean jumpers... headscarves... you get the idea) It was completely voluntary, I have to admit. I think I liked belonging to a group and I was old-fashioned, devouring classical literature, at that age. I gave up the extremism, quickly and quietly, when I went to a normal high school.

I think I'll keep icons, too. Especially ones of Mary holding her baby. It's such a beautiful maternal image and I hope to be a mother, too, someday. I also like the famous Trinity icon with the gold tones and it always strikes me that the persons look androgynous. It takes three to make a community, so I think the image is transcendent in that way.

I'm lucky to live close to a monastery which is small and in the most beautiful natural environment imaginable. The monks there are really funny, honest, and child-like. I've also spent time at a larger women's monastery where they sing beautifully. I've had small crushes on at least two monks I've met. I've heard that both of them have left the church. Maybe I will run into them someday and we can compare notes.