Freemasons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Freemasons
Hello folks,

up until now I thought the Freemasons were, just like the Illuminati, a group that once existed but was dissolved long ago. The other day I found out that they are in fact still organized throughout the world and that they even have their own website(s). Further research has shown that basically everyone can join them, provided that you have no criminal record, that you gain their trust by attending at their meetings for up to two years and that you have a stable job and residence. Since you have to be at the very least 18 years old to join, I had no opportunity to try my luck. I think I'm going to do it once I have a job and my own appartment. Smile

Come to think of it, is any forum member part of a Freemasons' lodge?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2012, 01:50 PM
RE: Freemasons
(25-06-2012 01:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hello folks,

up until now I thought the Freemasons were, just like the Illuminati, a group that once existed but was dissolved long ago. The other day I found out that they are in fact still organized throughout the world and that they even have their own website(s). Further research has shown that basically everyone can join them, provided that you have no criminal record, that you gain their trust by attending at their meetings for up to two years and that you have a stable job and residence. Since you have to be at the very least 18 years old to join, I had no opportunity to try my luck. I think I'm going to do it once I have a job and my own appartment. Smile

To become a member you have to profess a belief in God. Good luck with that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-06-2012, 01:52 PM
(25-06-2012 01:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hello folks,

I believe they require a belief in a deity, no particular one but I seem to rememer reading you had to believe in a god, I may be wrong. I know they do a lot of charity work.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-06-2012, 01:53 PM
The require belief in a "higher power." One of my best friends belongs. He knows I'm an atheist, and we joke about it.
[+] 1 user Likes DannyW's post
25-06-2012, 01:58 PM
There is a lodge in my town. You have to believe in a higher power to join though.

Under Repair.
25-06-2012, 02:02 PM
(25-06-2012 01:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  To become a member you have to profess a belief in God. Good luck with that.
The rules for joining differentiate from lodge to lodge. While some of them require you to believe in a deity, the majority of Freemason lodges near my town do not.

25-06-2012, 02:06 PM
(25-06-2012 02:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 01:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  To become a member you have to profess a belief in God. Good luck with that.
The rules for joining differentiate from lodge to lodge. While some of them require you to believe in a deity, the majority of Freemason lodges near my town do not.
From their web site:
What are the requirements to become a Mason?
Although exact membership requirements may vary slightly from country
to country and state to state, generally anyone meeting the following
primary requirements may petition a Lodge for membership:

1. You are an adult male (usually 18-21, based on the individual jurisdiction) of good character and recommended by a Mason.
  2. You believe in a Supreme Being -- no atheist can become a Mason
    -- but we are not concerned with theological distinctions or your
    particular religious beliefs.
  3. You are interested in becoming a Mason because you hold a
    favorable opinion of our institution; and, your decision to apply is
    based on your own "free will and accord." No one will compel you to
    join.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2012, 02:12 PM
(25-06-2012 02:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  From their web site:
What are the requirements to become a Mason?
Although exact membership requirements may vary slightly from country
to country and state to state, generally anyone meeting the following
primary requirements may petition a Lodge for membership:

1. You are an adult male (usually 18-21, based on the individual jurisdiction) of good character and recommended by a Mason.
  2. You believe in a Supreme Being -- no atheist can become a Mason
    -- but we are not concerned with theological distinctions or your
    particular religious beliefs.
  3. You are interested in becoming a Mason because you hold a
    favorable opinion of our institution; and, your decision to apply is
    based on your own "free will and accord." No one will compel you to
    join.
Which website? There are thousands of them. I can refer you to the German Freemasons website. In fact, many lodges even have their own website.

25-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I wish they phrased it higher power... sure I believe in electricity pylons. Odd that you ask...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-06-2012, 02:16 PM
AFAIK they're like a medieval and more fun version of the rotary society Big Grin They used at least, to have a number of funky rituals and things and they were supposed to be a ... ahem... a secret society. They have some interesting symbols too - set-squares and compasses and things - which have some kind of a spiritual symbolism. I think... interesting historically... but not sure what relevance they have today. Other than convenient McGuffins for Nick Cage movies. Blech...