Freemasons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2012, 02:23 PM
RE: Freemasons
(25-06-2012 02:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 02:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The rules for joining differentiate from lodge to lodge. While some of them require you to believe in a deity, the majority of Freemason lodges near my town do not.
From their web site:
What are the requirements to become a Mason?
Although exact membership requirements may vary slightly from country
to country and state to state, generally anyone meeting the following
primary requirements may petition a Lodge for membership:

1. You are an adult male (usually 18-21, based on the individual jurisdiction) of good character and recommended by a Mason.
  2. You believe in a Supreme Being -- no atheist can become a Mason
    -- but we are not concerned with theological distinctions or your
    particular religious beliefs.
  3. You are interested in becoming a Mason because you hold a
    favorable opinion of our institution; and, your decision to apply is
    based on your own "free will and accord." No one will compel you to
    join.

This is an excerpt from the FAQ of one of the major lodges in Germany:

"Besteht die Möglichkeit, dass auch Interessenten, die keiner Religion angehören (Atheisten) Mitglied in einer regulären Loge werden können?

Unzugehörigkeit oder Nichtzugehörigkeit zu einer Konfession interessiert nicht, kein Suchender wird diesbezüglich befragt, auch nicht durch die sogenannten christlichen Logen (Grosse Landesloge der Freimaurer von Deutschland - Freimaurerorden, Großloge zuden drei Weltkugeln). Diese verlangen lediglich eine Zugehörigkeitserklärung zum christlichen Kulturkreis. Die humanitären Logen (Alte Freie und Angenommene Maurer von Deutschland, die größte der deutschen Großlogen) erwarten - ohne dies im allgemeinen überhaupt zu hinterfragen - vom Suchenden, dass er kein Atheist im exakten Wortsinn ist. Ein solcher wird konsequent bestreiten, dass es irgendetwas geben könnte, was nicht sinnlich wahrnehmbar und naturwissenschaftlich exakt beweisbar ist. Im landläufigen Sprachgebrauch wird der Begriff 'Atheist' meist anstelle des treffenderen 'Agnostiker' benützt. Ein Agnostiker wird in einer humanitären Loge ebenso willkommen sein, wie ein gläubiger Katholik oder Muslim oder Jude oder, oder ..."

http://www.freimaurerei.de/faq-religion....q_16_82bad

The text says that you are allowed to be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic and that your confession is of no concern, however they do not welcome atheists in the strictest definition, meaning the ones that claim to know the absolute truth, which is that no Gods exist. If you want me to, I can translate the whole paragraph.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2012, 04:16 PM
(25-06-2012 02:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 02:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  From their web site:
What are the requirements to become a Mason?
Although exact membership requirements may vary slightly from country
to country and state to state, generally anyone meeting the following
primary requirements may petition a Lodge for membership:

1. You are an adult male (usually 18-21, based on the individual jurisdiction) of good character and recommended by a Mason.
  2. You believe in a Supreme Being -- no atheist can become a Mason
    -- but we are not concerned with theological distinctions or your
    particular religious beliefs.
  3. You are interested in becoming a Mason because you hold a
    favorable opinion of our institution; and, your decision to apply is
    based on your own "free will and accord." No one will compel you to
    join.
Which website? There are thousands of them. I can refer you to the German Freemasons website. In fact, many lodges even have their own website.
http://askafreemason.org/topten/index.htm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2012, 03:58 PM
To join the Freemasons, you have to believe in a higher power. However, my definition of higher power is "a force or forces that govern the Universe and everything in it." Ergo, I do believe in a higher power... MATH!!!

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
28-06-2012, 04:01 PM
(28-06-2012 03:58 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  To join the Freemasons, you have to believe in a higher power. However, my definition of higher power is "a force or forces that govern the Universe and everything in it." Ergo, I do believe in a higher power... MATH!!!
Nope, they don't say 'higher power".
2. You believe in a Supreme Being -- no atheist can become a Mason .

28-06-2012, 04:08 PM
(28-06-2012 04:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  You believe in a Supreme Being -- no atheist can become a Mason.

That's pretty much it. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
29-06-2012, 04:57 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 05:05 AM by Vosur.)
As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, there are no international rules for entering a lodge. For example, the one I quoted does not require you to believe in anything supernatural, it only requires you to not deny that something supernatural could exist. There's a huge difference between the two.

Edit: As for your link, Chas, these entering rules only apply to the lodges in the U.S.A., which is not really surprising, is it? The website even says "AskaFreemason.org was created as a national landing site by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M." at the very bottom. There is no international Freemason website that could set the standards for everyone, which is why it's wrong to claim that this it "their" website.
29-06-2012, 07:50 AM
...and why isn't this in the "conspiracy theory" forum? Hmmn?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-06-2012, 08:26 AM
(29-06-2012 04:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, there are no international rules for entering a lodge. For example, the one I quoted does not require you to believe in anything supernatural, it only requires you to not deny that something supernatural could exist. There's a huge difference between the two.

Edit: As for your link, Chas, these entering rules only apply to the lodges in the U.S.A., which is not really surprising, is it? The website even says "AskaFreemason.org was created as a national landing site by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts A.F. & A.M." at the very bottom. There is no international Freemason website that could set the standards for everyone, which is why it's wrong to claim that this it "their" website.
It still begs the question of why you would want to join a mystical order.

29-06-2012, 08:31 AM
(29-06-2012 08:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  It still begs the question of why you would want to join a mystical order.
Because I'm curious. Smartass
29-06-2012, 09:13 AM
(25-06-2012 01:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hello folks,

up until now I thought the Freemasons were, just like the Illuminati, a group that once existed but was dissolved long ago. The other day I found out that they are in fact still organized throughout the world and that they even have their own website(s). Further research has shown that basically everyone can join them, provided that you have no criminal record, that you gain their trust by attending at their meetings for up to two years and that you have a stable job and residence. Since you have to be at the very least 18 years old to join, I had no opportunity to try my luck. I think I'm going to do it once I have a job and my own appartment. Smile

Come to think of it, is any forum member part of a Freemasons' lodge?

Actually there are quite a few three and four letter Masons on another forum I'm on. One thing that Masons have in common is that they're religious, so I don't think you'd enjoy it very much. Smile