French Birkini (Dance's and Revs' threads merged)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 04:34 AM
RE: French Birkini (Dance's and Revs' threads merged)
(01-09-2016 12:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Atheism until recently was viewed with extreme suspicion pretty much globally.

Not in my part of the world. Sorry. I've described myself publicly as an atheist for more than 50 years now, and have never once been criticised for my "non belief". Your claim of "extreme" suspicion is untrue; a lack of understanding by the religious maybe, but that's as far as it's ever gone.

Quote:And you like the idea of banning Islam yet I'm sure you don't like the fact that in some Islamic countries atheism is a criminal offence (in some cases punishable by death)?

Citation please.

Quote:You can't see the symmetry?

Nope. It's a nonsense to conflate banning Islamic practices with your alleged banning of atheism. Atheism is nothing more than a singular state of mind—Islam is a vastly more complex social, ethical, and moral set of tenets upheld and enforced by states and the church. No atheist has ever "punished" one of their own for failing to comply with any rigid set of social mores or religious dogma, or state-imposed sanctions, or gender-based discrimination.

To imagine a "symmetry" is also absurd.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 05:13 AM
(01-09-2016 04:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 12:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  Atheism until recently was viewed with extreme suspicion pretty much globally.

Not in my part of the world. Sorry. I've described myself publicly as an atheist for more than 50 years now, and have never once been criticised for my "non belief". Your claim of "extreme" suspicion is untrue; a lack of understanding by the religious maybe, but that's as far as it's ever gone.
And your part of the world *is* the world Rolleyes And your experience is *everyone's* experience. Christ.

Quote:
Quote:And you like the idea of banning Islam yet I'm sure you don't like the fact that in some Islamic countries atheism is a criminal offence (in some cases punishable by death)?

Citation please.
Here

Quote:
Quote:You can't see the symmetry?

Nope. It's a nonsense to conflate banning Islamic practices with your alleged banning of atheism. Atheism is nothing more than a singular state of mind—Islam is a vastly more complex social, ethical, and moral set of tenets upheld and enforced by states and the church. No atheist has ever "punished" one of their own for failing to comply with any rigid set of social mores or religious dogma, or state-imposed sanctions, or gender-based discrimination.

To imagine a "symmetry" is also absurd.

The symmetry is your attitude - ban stuff I disagree with.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-09-2016, 05:17 AM
(01-09-2016 04:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  No atheist has ever "punished" one of their own for failing to comply with any rigid set of social mores or religious dogma, or state-imposed sanctions, or gender-based discrimination.

What do you call a burqa/burkini ban then? Or is it fine so long as it's not "one of your own"?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-09-2016, 05:50 AM
What's the story behind it? Without condoning either action, maybe someone called the police saying she was acting suspicious. They just recently had a man murder scores of people with a semi.

That said, it must be quite something for the devout Muslim at the beach or water park. Surrounded by all those sinful characters in different states of undress.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
01-09-2016, 07:01 AM
(01-09-2016 05:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 04:34 AM)SYZ Wrote:  No atheist has ever "punished" one of their own for failing to comply with any rigid set of social mores or religious dogma, or state-imposed sanctions, or gender-based discrimination.

What do you call a burqa/burkini ban then? Or is it fine so long as it's not "one of your own"?

There is no such thing as a burka/birkini. They are not the same thing. At all. There is therefor no answer to this question, it's loaded. You are trying to ride on people's emotions about a ban that is already abolished by mixing it in with a different subject.

The questions are "what do you think of a burka ban?" and "what do you think of a birkini ban?"

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-09-2016, 07:43 AM
(01-09-2016 07:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 05:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  What do you call a burqa/burkini ban then? Or is it fine so long as it's not "one of your own"?

There is no such thing as a burka/birkini. They are not the same thing. At all. There is therefor no answer to this question, it's loaded. You are trying to ride on people's emotions about a ban that is already abolished by mixing it in with a different subject.

The questions are "what do you think of a burka ban?" and "what do you think of a birkini ban?"

To be fair, MD was responding to a post with these passages:

SYZ Wrote:For the purpose of the debate, I personally regard all Islamic female clothing (burqa, niqab, hijab, chador or dupatta) as symbolic of a patriarchal, repressive, brutal religion that subjugates women and girls and breaches all our 21st century norms of personal freedom of choice. [...] the one that should be totally banned (in secular Western countries at least) is Islam [...]

[Emphasis in original]

Doesn't seem to me that MD was conflating the two garments or their treatment -- but responding to SYZ's sweeping language.
01-09-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm disappointed that we don't have pix of a furkini in this thread.

Sad
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
01-09-2016, 07:50 AM
(28-08-2016 04:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You don't give it free reign. But neither do you deny its free expression.

Free rein. Drinking Beverage

Quote:You demonstrate by the way that you live, the superiority of the cultural values that are indeed superior:
Freedom of Expression
Equality under the Law
Traditional English beer, English pizza and English poppadoms!

Yabut, the question still is "If you don't like Western democracy and freedom, why the fuck are you emigrating there?"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-09-2016, 07:52 AM
(01-09-2016 07:43 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 07:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is no such thing as a burka/birkini. They are not the same thing. At all. There is therefor no answer to this question, it's loaded. You are trying to ride on people's emotions about a ban that is already abolished by mixing it in with a different subject.

To be fair, MD was responding to a post with these passages:

SYZ Wrote:For the purpose of the debate, I personally regard all Islamic female clothing (burqa, niqab, hijab, chador or dupatta) as symbolic of a patriarchal, repressive, brutal religion that subjugates women and girls and breaches all our 21st century norms of personal freedom of choice. [...] the one that should be totally banned (in secular Western countries at least) is Islam [...]

[Emphasis in original]

Doesn't seem to me that MD was conflating the two garments or their treatment -- but responding to SYZ's sweeping language.

You are right, I didn't see that. I reacted based on previous wording that was the same. I need more coffee. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-09-2016, 09:08 AM
(01-09-2016 07:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 05:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  What do you call a burqa/burkini ban then? Or is it fine so long as it's not "one of your own"?

I thought it was reasonably obvious shorthand for the two questions that you so generously typed out in full. Syz seems to fully support both bans, while I support neither.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post